Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-31-2018, 04:53 PM   #43
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Late to the party here. I did insulation in the entire trunk area and where the speakers are. At the time all I had was the outlaw axelback. Insulation did no good at all. Resonated x pipe helped only a little. J pipes is the only thing that kills the drone
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 04:09 PM   #44
GodWentPunk

Drives: 2015 2SS White Convertible CE/INDY
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wanderer View Post
I have installed Kooks longtubes with Hi-flo cats and a Borla cat back system with attak mufflers and do not have any drone. My car is just LOUD, on the interstate or at any speed it just purrs like a kitten. It is a 2014 SS L99. When it is wide open throttle it is obscenely loud....any way I love the sound

I'm having a LTH/HFC/x-Pipe with Legato mufflers installed in the spring so I hope I don't get the drone as others have experienced. If so, I'll probably look for new mufflers.

joe...
Old 11-01-2018, 05:20 PM   #45
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
Well Ron, I'm looking into that Corsa Sport catback like you suggested for the ZL1's since I have the ZL1 Flowmaster Outlaw catback on there, hoping it will be a bit quieter and they advertise like you said, NO DRONE. Don't get me wrong I really like what I have now, get all kinds of compliments on it, but it is just way to loud and I have been lucky so far the police haven't bothered me yet, or my neighbors. lol. But the drone is really bad at certain speeds and I want to quiet it down some and get rid of that. Going to call Corsa tomorrow and talk to them. Thanks for the suggestion.
Hey sorry I didn't see this but now Im wondering if you have your exhaust yet?
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:30 PM   #46
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
Hey sorry I didn't see this but now Im wondering if you have your exhaust yet?
Hey ron, no not yet, still debating with myself whether I want to change or not. 1400 bucks for the system,but I have a friend who wants to but my outlaw system for his ZL1. We will see. Decisions decisions. Ugh..
Old 11-02-2018, 06:07 AM   #47
Chris49066SS

Drives: 2010 SS L99
I'm kinda in the same boat. I run open headers (LTs, no cats or pipes) and while its good for me, it gets a little tense when the authorities are present lol. I want to do the Flowmaster American Thunder 3" catback Original 40 series mufflers, but with cutouts behind the headers, simply for the option of quieter vs open header. I know what I really need is Noweeds but the budget doesn't permit it right now. Car is not daily driven anymore, just kind of a cruising/casual car now.
Chris49066SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 09:47 AM   #48
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodWentPunk View Post
I'm having a LTH/HFC/x-Pipe with Legato mufflers installed in the spring so I hope I don't get the drone as others have experienced. If so, I'll probably look for new mufflers.

joe...
I used to have that exact setup. Matter of fact, I still have me Legatos.

It did drone, but nothing major, and definitely not like my Outlaws. The Legatos are a bit like the American Thunder series from Flowmaster. Has that same chambered sound, but less.

I took them back off because it just wasn't loud enough for me. They did have some good points though. It sounded very clean and refined, which can be a good thing sometimes.

The Legatos are a great sounding quality exhaust setup for the price. But if 'loud' is what you want, they may not cut the mustard.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 07:23 PM   #49
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Well guys, after all is said and done, I purchased 2 Vibrant 18 inch long, 3 inch in and out 4 inch diameter bullet style resonators from Summit and had them installed yesterday. Drove the car around for 2 days and gotta say, the car still sounds badass, but the loudness went from a 10 to an 8, still pretty loud, but I like it. The resonators changed the tone as well of the system, now it is a bit more deeper and growlier, like a big block sound. I was out cruising yesterday and stopped at 1 of my resturants, and a guy said to me, man that thing sounds really nice, is it a big block he asks? I said no it is a 376 small block, and he said oh it's a stroker? No I said, it is a GM LS3 6.2/376 ci small block. He then said it sounds like the big block mopars he has. NICE!! And as for the drone I was experiencing, well lets just say at the RPM's I was hearing it at, it was GONE!! I cruise around at between 50-55 in my area and with the windows up I can now hear the noise the tires make on the road, never heard that before, and I have quiet tires, lol. Cruising around, throttling up and just plain cruising she is now pretty quiet and I like that, but when you romp on it, man plug your ears because the loud, badass is still there, for when you want it. All in all I think I made a good choice in the resonators and she sounds really cool at idle now and cruising. Hope this helps someone else in the same boat. Good luck.

Last edited by 1JEWLDSSRS; 11-18-2018 at 07:26 PM. Reason: forgot some info
1JEWLDSSRS is offline   Reply With Quote