Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-09-2019, 11:32 PM   #15
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC5 View Post
The human species survived for many years without side impact airbags, so I would just purchase the aftermarket seats of your desire and drive happy.

More seriously, however, I wouldn't hesitate to install aftermarket seats without airbags.
ehh, the chances of death in previous years was WAYYY higher than it is now. People are walking away from some insane accidents nowadays.

That's like saying human species survived without seatbelts pre 1961, so I wouldn't think twice about removing them now.
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:04 AM   #16
DC5

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktechla View Post
ehh, the chances of death in previous years was WAYYY higher than it is now. People are walking away from some insane accidents nowadays.

That's like saying human species survived without seatbelts pre 1961, so I wouldn't think twice about removing them now.
As mentioned by another user, this question requires a risk analysis. Moreover, the answer to this question should be rooted in reasonableness. For example, removing the seat belts from a modern vehicle would certainly be unreasonable and, in the event of a collision or other incident, consequential (i.e., the risk of serious bodily injury or death increases exponentially).

I personally would not hesitate to install aftermarket seats without side impact air bags in my vehicle. Why? Because the vehicle is still equipped with seat belts (most importantly), front air bags, and curtain air bags. Moreover, the vehicle's structure is designed to absorb the energy caused by a collision. Stated otherwise, the vehicle is still equipped with a host of safety features. And while the risk of sustaining serious bodily injury or death may increase under certain circumstances (e.g., a side impact collision), I'm not inclined to describe the installation of aftermarket seats without side impact air bags as unreasonably dangerous.

In closing, I believe that people are too concerned about safety---physical safety, emotional safety, intellectual safety, etc. Just look at the overwhelming number of snowflakes who attend private and public institutions of higher education.

Last edited by DC5; 01-10-2019 at 01:26 AM.
DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:09 AM   #17
DC5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
Survived without cars too. And Facebook and Twitter
And just imagine how much better the world would be without the latter two items.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:52 AM   #18
Lazerbrainz2k3

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS - M6, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC5 View Post
As mentioned by another user, this question requires a risk analysis. Moreover, the answer to this question should be rooted in reasonableness. For example, removing the seat belts from a modern vehicle would certainly be unreasonable and, in the event of a collision or other incident, consequential (i.e., the risk of serious bodily injury or death increases exponentially).

I personally would not hesitate to install aftermarket seats without side impact air bags in my vehicle. Why? Because the vehicle is still equipped with seat belts (most importantly), front air bags, and curtain air bags. Moreover, the vehicle's structure is designed to absorb the energy caused by a collision. Stated otherwise, the vehicle is still equipped with a host of safety features. And while the risk of sustaining serious bodily injury or death may increase under certain circumstances (e.g., a side impact collision), I'm not inclined to describe the installation of aftermarket seats without side impact air bags as unreasonably dangerous.

In closing, I believe that people are too concerned about safety---physical safety, emotional safety, intellectual safety, etc. Just look at the overwhelming number of snowflakes who attend private and public institutions of higher education.
This is an airbag removal, not Starbucks being out of soy milk available for your coffee.

So long as you're expecting regular first-responders to collect your remains that might have been less mangled - maybe still alive, even - with the original engineered safety systems in place, or to tap your health insurance which others pay most of for costs that would be less with those systems in place, it's entirely fair to advise against partially or wholly removing such systems when your opinion of what an acceptable risk leads others to have to pay a price if it turns out that you chose poorly.

But I'm sure before driving again, any non-snowflake real he-man would find some legally binding way to guarantee others don't face such consequences, though!
Lazerbrainz2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:00 AM   #19
thescreensavers

Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
Only time a different seat should be installed is in the case of a racing seat. That includes a proper racing harness and HANS device.

Otherwise keep the stock seat for the airbag.
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:19 AM   #20
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Bigger liability is insurance, they rate car w given safety gear, remove it and your rates may no longer be the same, or get dropped all together.

Or wreck and they can deem modification caused you injuries to be worse,,, and nope, we're not covering medical you need to fix yourself.

Worth the risk ?

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:25 PM   #21
DC5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerbrainz2k3 View Post
So long as you're expecting regular first-responders to collect your remains that might have been less mangled - maybe still alive, even - with the original engineered safety systems in place, or to tap your health insurance which others pay most of for costs that would be less with those systems in place, it's entirely fair to advise against partially or wholly removing such systems when your opinion of what an acceptable risk leads others to have to pay a price if it turns out that you chose poorly.
Again, this is a question of reasonableness, as defined by the word's primary definition of "sound judgment," not the word's secondary definition of "fairness." According to the NHTSA, 40% of all automobile accidents are rear end collisions. You "pay" far more for the negligence of distracted drivers, such as those who use their smartphone while driving and subsequently rear end the vehicle in front of them, than those who modify and/or remove their vehicle's factory safety equipment.