Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-25-2013, 12:11 PM   #15
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekkie View Post
CR says the iPhone and iPad are bad buys.

Based on that, CR is invalid
Hey! Maybe there's hope for them after all! I never could understand people's fascination with things with apples on them. They're stuff is always overpriced and their quality is mediocre at best. There's always something for about a third the price that will do more.
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, NPP Exhaust, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2015 SS Sedan Steering Wheel and Air Bag, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights,Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, LED Fog Lamp Bulbs, Backup Camera Kit, NLP Spoiler, SLP Splitter, ZL1 Rockers and Diffuser, Color Matched Shark Fin, RS Roof Mouldings, Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Heritage Grille and Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblems, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 12:19 PM   #16
Dans2SSCamaro

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS
I dropped consumer reports a long time ago. Their reports are biased for anything foreign. Until they become truly unbiased, I won't subscribe to anything they have to recommend. Their opinion means nothing to me personally.
Dans2SSCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 12:38 PM   #17
Lee123

Drives: 2012 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyhorse6901 View Post
I trust C.R and I have received their magazine for a very long time; I have read everything on what they have writte in reference to what car is reliable vs what car isn't , new or used and here are the numbers that are located in the 2014 Buying Guide.

C.R listing as follows : Sport Cars: High - Performance.

1. BMW 135i - score 95
2. Subaru Impreza WRX STI - 89
3. Nissan 370Z Coupe Touring - 86
4. Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution GSR - 83
5. Ford Mustang GT Premium (V8) - 83
6. " " (V6) -76
7. Camaro 2SS (V8) - 71
8. Hyundai Genesis Coupe Grand Touring ( V6) - 70
9. Dodge Challenger R/T ( V8) - 67
10. Camaro 2 LT (V6) - 60

C.R recommendation = 1,2,3,6 & 7.
Two comments. 1. Consumer reports car evaluations suck and have for a long time. In 1974 I had a friend with an MGB. His car, which he loved, was rated poorly by CR because it was easy to bang your head on the trunk lid while putting things in the truck. Not normally the criteria a sane person would use to evaluate a British sports car.

2. I owned a 135i before the Camaro. I traded it after I took it in to have the radio replaced and BMW applied "mandatory updates" that reduced the power and slowed the shifting on the dual clutch transmission. I had read about the updates and did not want them, they told me I had no choice if I wanted the broken radio replaced under warranty. The speculation on the BMW forum was that the "mandatory update" was done to reduce strain on the drive train and reduce warranty claims. BMW believes they own your car and they can do what they want with it, even if you paid cash. It was a good car, but I came to hate owning it.
Old 12-25-2013, 12:46 PM   #18
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
No way CR is biased....I remember back when the Chevy Nova was just a Toyota Corolla with Chevy Badges on it, built in the same plant by the same people with the same parts, the Corolla they rated excellent in reliability and the Nova was just average. The Corolla was also recommended but the Nova wasn't... Nope no bias there.
Old 12-25-2013, 12:51 PM   #19
Crazyhorse6901
Turbine Maker

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT-RS "LFX"V6
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee123 View Post
Two comments. 1. Consumer reports car evaluations suck and have for a long time. In 1974 I had a friend with an MGB. His car, which he loved, was rated poorly by CR because it was easy to bang your head on the trunk lid while putting things in the truck. Not normally the criteria a sane person would use to evaluate a British sports car.

2. I owned a 135i before the Camaro. I traded it after I took it in to have the radio replaced and BMW applied "mandatory updates" that reduced the power and slowed the shifting on the dual clutch transmission. I had read about the updates and did not want them, they told me I had no choice if I wanted the broken radio replaced under warranty. The speculation on the BMW forum was that the "mandatory update" was done to reduce strain on the drive train and reduce warranty claims. BMW believes they own your car and they can do what they want with it, even if you paid cash. It was a good car, but I came to hate owning it.

1. C.R is not as bad as what people are claiming; yes they do tend to look at everything and give a fair accesment which will allow for a consumer to make a sound conclusion or the consumer can view the item in person and decide for themselves after all we do have the ability to form an opinion that is if an individual has the ability to form a though process.

2. Sounds like BMW was being dishonest, greedy and attempting to add to their bottom line; this has nothing to do with C.R!
Crazyhorse6901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 12:58 PM   #20
Casperadub70

Drives: 2014 1LE Camaro, 95 Z28 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekkie View Post
CR says the iPhone and iPad are bad buys.

Based on that, CR is invalid
I would agree with that. Only think the Iphone has going for it is its trendy.
Compared to all other phones it doesnt have anything better

Tablets i havent read enough about but i would figure its the same.
2014 1LE 2SS Camaro Recaro seats, Custom Cam, Kooks LT headers, CAI intake, Z/28 Spoiler, Z/28 Belly Pan, Z/28 Brake Air Ducts, Stainless Steel breaklines, BMR Toe Rods and Trailing Arms resulting in 482.49 RWHP
Casperadub70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 01:25 PM   #21
Crazyhorse6901
Turbine Maker

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT-RS "LFX"V6
I bought the ipad and still read C.R; hit and miss with some of the items. One should realize no company or individual will ever be perfect, learn and move forward.
Crazyhorse6901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 01:53 PM   #22
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Basically if your experiences are the same as CR then you will tend to agree with CR and you will think they are great but if your experiences are different than CR then they Suck. My experiences are they have been wrong more than that have been right with the cars I have owned.
Old 12-25-2013, 02:20 PM   #23
Bilhickok

Drives: 2014 2ss camaro convertible
Cool Consumer Reports is clueless

Consumer Reports rating criteria have nothing to do with style, class, cool, fun or swag.

They would rate a Rolex Datona watch as a ten worst, since you could buy a Swatch watch for 50 bucks instead of $10,000, and the Swatch would keep better time than the Rolex.

They are all about "practicality" and cheap price.

Their BEST is a Prius? Bah humbug.

I'm proud to be on their worst ten list.

I own 7 Vettes and I LOVE my 2014 2SS convertible V8!

MERRY XMAS!!!!!!!!!!!
Bilhickok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 02:50 PM   #24
Lee123

Drives: 2012 2SS M6
Quote:
2. Sounds like BMW was being dishonest, greedy and attempting to add to their bottom line; this has nothing to do with C.R!
I agree, that had nothing to do with CR. I just couldn't resist since I owned the car they rated #1 immediately before my Camaro 2SS. Another person pointed out that your opinion of CR depends on whether your experiences agree with CR or not. I is totally accurate. Although the 135i was a fun car and was pretty much as fast as the SS was when new, my experience with it was not good. Because of a problem that I cannot discuss due to a non disclosure agreement, I lacked confidence in the car. When they intentionally detuned it, that was the final straw. Despite substantial mods, I haven't had a bit of trouble with the Camaro in 2 years. Its hard for me to stay off this subject when I see the 135i rated #1 and the Camaro 2SS #7.
Old 12-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #25
AzItaliaSS

Drives: 2010 2ss RJT LS3 GONE....
Never used CR to review a car, otherwise no complaints for other things..Plenty of motor trends,car and driver,etc.. to compare with. and yes ipads cant even view a "flash content" website which is a joke for 500.00 so it got traded one week after owning.

VARARAM, SWSP 1 7/8 LT'S,X-PIPE,CAT DELETE,DYNOMAX RACE BULLETTS, LSR SHORT SHIFTER ,CUSTOM BLACK EMBLEMS,MPD1 SPOILER, HP TUNE BY GEARHEAD GARAGE, INTERIOR ABL LIGHTING, CUSTOM STRIPING BY BEAVER STRIPES, EIBACHS
AzItaliaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 04:35 PM   #26
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzItaliaSS View Post
Never used CR to review a car, otherwise no complaints for other things..Plenty of motor trends,car and driver,etc.. to compare with. and yes ipads cant even view a "flash content" website which is a joke for 500.00 so it got traded one week after owning.
Hmm you can view flash on an iPad. Just not with the Safari browser. I can use the free Puffin app and flash works fine with it on both my iPhone and iPad.
Old 12-25-2013, 05:17 PM   #27
BigBlock69RS
Ed

Drives: 2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS/1LE
Those bashing CR should really look at how CR formulates their results.
http://www.consumerreports.org/conte...ing.print.html

They accept no ads nor a penny from manufacturers.
They purchase the product themselves for their tests, they are given no freebies.
They wont even let their ratings be used in advertising:
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/a...licy/index.htm

They are well known for their editorial independance:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consume...l_independence

They are about as independent and unbiased as you can get. Show me another publication with as strict a standard - hint you won't find any.

You may not agree with their results. However, calling them biased, well that is just silly, if you know anything about how CR conducts itself as a business.

I don't agree with their car reviews either. Their tests tend to favor reliability and gas mileage over hp. But reliability and gas mileage are objectively measurable, fun factor isn't.
Old 12-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #28
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
I trust C.R and I have received their magazine for a very long time; I have read everything on what they have writte in reference to what car is reliable vs what car isn't , new or used and here are the numbers that are located in the 2014 Buying Guide.

C.R listing as follows : Sport Cars: High - Performance.

1. BMW 135i - score 95
2. Subaru Impreza WRX STI - 89
3. Nissan 370Z Coupe Touring - 86
4. Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution GSR - 83
5. Ford Mustang GT Premium (V8) - 83
6. " " (V6) -76
7. Camaro 2SS (V8) - 71
8. Hyundai Genesis Coupe Grand Touring ( V6) - 70
9. Dodge Challenger R/T ( V8) - 67
10. Camaro 2 LT (V6) - 60

C.R recommendation = 1,2,3,6 & 7.

Then they have a category for the following.

1. SportyCars
2. Roadsters
3. Convertibles: Four -Seat
yeah but then the same publication changes category qualifications, and wraps "Sportycars" and "Convertibles" into the same category, elimates other qualifiers, and calls the Camaro SS convertible the worst.

With no consistency, how can you trust CR?