Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-17-2018, 09:03 AM   #15
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
You can trickle charge the battery thru the auxillery post in the engine (red cap). Make sure that you connect the red charging cable to the post and the ground cable to a metal object nearby.

I didn't read or get all of your information from the post. If you don't have access to power you can either use a solar battery tender or worse case scenario start the car every two weeks. I would definitely go with a battery tender if your situation permits it.

Good luck.
The "metal object nearby" is the ground post provided for that purpose and clearly shown in the Owners Manual. It is in the front left corner of the engine compartment.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 11:51 PM   #16
Alfdawg

Drives: 2014 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdfuzionTN View Post
Dont forget some bait traps by the tires to keep the pests out of the wiring.
I got like 8 or 9 mouse traps around the car, moth balls by each tire, bounce dryer sheets in the car and trunk and steel wool in the exhaust tips. Is that enough to keep the pest away?
Alfdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 06:53 AM   #17
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfdawg View Post
I got like 8 or 9 mouse traps around the car, moth balls by each tire, bounce dryer sheets in the car and trunk and steel wool in the exhaust tips. Is that enough to keep the pest away?
I just use a professional service that puts poison boxes all over the house, not just in the garage. Before calling the pros, I had a serious infestation, including damage to one car's wiring. Not any more.

However, one car that is used daily is kept outside the garage door. Mice leave acorn shells on top of the engine, under the engine cover. They obviously are looking for a warm place in winter. However, I haven't had a nest or significant damage in years. The mice eventually go looking in the garage and eat the poison.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 07:18 AM   #18
ZEN357

Drives: 1991 Z/28 Convertible
Newer cars now have remote posts to charge your battery. I leave a trickle charge on my Challenger when I store it for the winter.
ZEN357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:03 AM   #19
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLU DUCE View Post
Most places you can't get into a storage place to start your car in the winter. [Which is a bad thing to do in the first place] All that does is warm the engine up and build moisture. Which is bad and
produces rust.

I stored my car for 5 yrs. for 6 months never started it and had no problems. And I know a lot of people who have done the same thing.
I kind of figured this, as a lot of storage places won't provide an electrical outlet. It depends on your situation. You possibly could get by without charging your battery for the winter provided that you don't have accessories connected to the car. There is usually some type of parasitic draw on the car's electrical system (from onboard electronics) that usually will draw on your battery's power. Couple this with the cold weather and its normal to have battery run down during the winter. Some cases are worse than others, but in general I would not go longer than a month during the winter without at least monitoring the battery. If you can find a way to secure a solar tender, then I highly recommend trying this device if you do not have power and you have to store your car for a long period. Tenders are great in that they prolong the life of your battery, in addition to preventing run-down.

My Ol' Lady Camaro was very bad on battery draw; I could not leave it in storage longer than 3 weeks on a good battery. When I added the tender, my life got better with no battery run-down or having to start the car every other week. I've had cars sit the entire winter without starting, and crank right up at Spring thanks to their battery tenders.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote