Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-12-2008, 12:43 AM   #1
Lifted07Sierra

Drives: 2007 gmc sierra
Tuning the L99

Im reading that you guys are saying that the L99 cant be tuned because of the fuel management.

My 5.3 Sierra has AFM and Ive had it custom tuned by a preferred vendor on www.gmfullsize.com

Worked out great, removed some torque managment. Adjusted when AFM kicks on and off. I ended up getting 1.6mpg better after the tune
Lifted07Sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:17 AM   #2
Shadowsong

Drives: 2014 Mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifted07Sierra View Post
Im reading that you guys are saying that the L99 cant be tuned because of the fuel management.

My 5.3 Sierra has AFM and Ive had it custom tuned by a preferred vendor on www.gmfullsize.com

Worked out great, removed some torque managment. Adjusted when AFM kicks on and off. I ended up getting 1.6mpg better after the tune
I don't know where people are getting this, I mean go look at the G8GT forums, a bunch of them are getting tunes (and picking up a ton of power...) with out any problems.
Shadowsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:32 AM   #3
Lifted07Sierra

I dunno, but Ive read several threads about people deciding between the manual and auto and they say manual because the L99 cant be tuned because of the fuel management? :seesaw:
Old 08-12-2008, 10:17 AM   #4
camaro1

Drives: 550+RWHP 2010 camaro
there will be tuning support for the L99 along with the LS3,, the DOD/AFM can be turned off in the pcm and run just like the LS3

there is already people tuning the new gm trucks with AFM and they are turning it off in the tune, there are also dodge hemi owners turning of their DOD with programmers that are availible

both these cars L99 and LS3 will probly have the same ecm to run the engine anyways, just a different tune since the auto car has its own tcm(transmission control module) mounted in the trans itself
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
camaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 12:29 PM   #5
Shadowsong

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro1 View Post
there will be tuning support for the L99 along with the LS3,, the DOD/AFM can be turned off in the pcm and run just like the LS3

there is already people tuning the new gm trucks with AFM and they are turning it off in the tune, there are also dodge hemi owners turning of their DOD with programmers that are availible

both these cars L99 and LS3 will probly have the same ecm to run the engine anyways, just a different tune since the auto car has its own tcm(transmission control module) mounted in the trans itself
That too, is proving to be a GOOD thing on the G8's, because that can also be tuned, people are having their 'sport mode' beefed up to 'I need to change my pants' mode, from what I've heard.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:07 PM   #6
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
is the l99 going to be an aluminum block?
headpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:12 PM   #7
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowsong View Post
That too, is proving to be a GOOD thing on the G8's, because that can also be tuned, people are having their 'sport mode' beefed up to 'I need to change my pants' mode, from what I've heard.
I like the sound of that.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:15 PM   #8
Lifted07Sierra

So tell me what makes the auto in the camaro so awesome?

what can it do that the 02 camaro automatic couldnt?
Old 08-12-2008, 02:19 PM   #9
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Drives: 2009 Escape/2007 Ridgeline
Quote:

Thank goodness, I want the L99 SS but I wanted to get 430-450 HP out of it. Will I be able to switch from AFM to a performance mode when I don't need all the power?
Old 08-12-2008, 02:39 PM   #10
Shadowsong

Quote:

2 more gears, paddle/tap up, tap down shift control, and a sport mode that raises the shift points for 'spirited driving', also note that the sport mode can be tuned.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:12 PM   #11
camaro1

Quote:

just that, it is an automatic, go to your local drag strip and watch all the cars and see how many auto's there are vs manual trans cars, and what the faster cars are running, most all auto trans

a little tuning of the tcm, and a smaller high stall converter and the manual trans cars will not touch the auto's, especially after some engine mods,, or a stroker LS3 engine((hint hint ,, lol))
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
Old 08-12-2008, 03:16 PM   #12
camaro1

Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
is the l99 going to be an aluminum block?

the L99 engine will be aluminum,, it is basically the same engine as the LS3 but with AFM/DOD and a smaller camshaft to work with the DOD,, anyone wanting to mod out the L99 will most likely be putting standard LS1,2,3 style lifters and whatever cam they want to go with and have the AFM/DOD disabled in the ecm tune
Old 08-12-2008, 03:21 PM   #13
Jonesz0003
The Jonesy

Drives: 03 Silverado & 69 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Jonesz0003 Send a message via MSN to Jonesz0003 Send a message via Yahoo to Jonesz0003
Thumbs up Tuning the L99

Lets not forget that anything with a computer can be tuned, thats the beauty of it, and after it hits the streets you know there will be so many complanies offering their versions of tuning the Camaro. So i wouldnt worry about that part of it
Jonesz0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:24 PM   #14
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:

Six speeds, and everything else that was posted already.

I'm not sure if you've driven one but if you've ever stopped to look at the drop in RPMs going from 1st gear to 2nd gear, at WOT, it would go from around 6000 to something like the mid-3000s (I can't remember because I've had my stall so long.) Consider how much out of the powerband you've dropped, see how many LS1s peak around 5000+ RPMs. Then, consider adding a higher stall converter than won't allow the RPMs to fall below a certain range at WOT. For example, I have a Yank Super Stock 3800 converter behind my stock long block and tranny. At the track, at WOT, the RPMs don't fall below 5300-5400 RPMs between shifts, which keeps the engine right in the meat of the powerband. My car's run a best of a 12.6 (~ 3900 lbs.) with only a lid, converter, 3.23s, tranny tune, and DRs, and that was hitting the rev' limiter a few times on the 2-3 shift. My brother, with the same mods', ran a best of 12.4s at full weight (~ 3850 lbs.) all thanks to a looser converter and higher shift extension (less drop in RPMs at gear shifts.)

How that relates is the more gears you have, the less drop in RPMs, the more you stay in the meat of the powerband

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro1 View Post
just that, it is an automatic, go to your local drag strip and watch all the cars and see how many auto's there are vs manual trans cars, and what the faster cars are running, most all auto trans

a little tuning of the tcm, and a smaller high stall converter and the manual trans cars will not touch the auto's, especially after some engine mods,, or a stroker LS3 engine((hint hint ,, lol))
That's what I've seen too. I had all the torque management removed, upped the line pressure, quickened the shifts, and deleted some slip codes and have loved a stalled car. Shoot, that converter is more efficient than stock, and puts the car in the powerband anytime I get on the narrow pedal. I can break the rear tires loose and go sideways on a 3-2 downshift around 40 MPH it his so hard.

My point - tuning is a necessary component for an automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowsong View Post
I don't know where people are getting this, I mean go look at the G8GT forums, a bunch of them are getting tunes (and picking up a ton of power...) with out any problems.
http://www.g8board.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote