Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 11-03-2009, 07:14 AM   #1
wrek
2G1FK1EJ6-9

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS Transformer
Question Armor All Damage? Is it Real?

Can anyone substantiate/prove that Armor All damages or fails to protect as it claims? Has there been any actual study done?

"I heard" or "my friend" etc., don't count.

I don't use it and I probably won't just from the controversy but I'd like to know the facts.

They've been making this stuff forever, you'd think if it was causing damage, there'd be an uproar and they would've gone out of business.
2SS/RS Transformers Special Edition: Quick Time Performance Electric Cutouts, Custom Exterior Sound Effects (Transforming) by remote or button, Yellow autobot on windshield, Darkened tail and marker lights, Yellow fogs and signals (more yellow for signals), Dash Ambient Lighting, Black Painted Suitcase Mufflers, Autobot bowties and steering wheel, yellow leather stitching, yellow SS symbol on headrests, blacked out back trunk lid, blacked out brake light trim.
Pics of my 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
wrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:33 AM   #2
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
I dont use Armor-all on my interior or wheels or at all anymore. I used to growing up, and I used to use Fram filters as well, but found that they are not the best to use. too much alcohol in it that dries out components. it gives it a wet-shine look right off the bat, but it wears down over time.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:14 AM   #3
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
I'll occassionally use Armor All Cleaner to wipe down an interior, as well as use their protectant for tires, and I've never had one "issue"/problem with the products.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:27 AM   #4
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
I had been using Armor All for decades - interior and even on my tires. Always was concerned over what I had read but never saw any damage...
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:41 AM   #5
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
I'll occassionally use Armor All Cleaner to wipe down an interior, as well as use their protectant for tires, and I've never had one "issue"/problem with the products.
Same. Maybe its only if you use it all the time? Maybe some people were using it on a daily basis, or not wiping off the excess properly after application?
- X

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:24 AM   #6
promod55

Drives: 2010 camaro rs/ss 67 camaro
The fact is it is a petroleum based product thus causing vinyl parts to get hard and crack.It will actually cause tires to "dry rot" prematurely
promod55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:42 AM   #7
Paperer
Ragin' Cajun

Drives: '02 Camaro SS - '10 CGM 2SS/RS
Not really an answer but:

What are the ingredients in Armor AllŪ Protectants? Do they include silicone, alcohol, ultraviolet inhibitors and petroleum distillates?
Armor AllŪ Leather Care contains lanolin and natural moisturizers, and UV inhibitors. Armor AllŪ Leather Care Protectant Spray and Leather Wipes contain water-based silicone emulsions, surfactants, and ultraviolet light inhibitors. Armor AllŪ Original Shine Protectant contains water-based silicone emulsions, surfactants, and ultraviolet light inhibitors, humectants, dispersants and gloss enhancers. Armor AllŪ Ultimate Clean Protectant contains water-based silicone emulsions, surfactants, ultraviolet light inhibitors and a fragrance.

What are the ingredients in Armor AllŪ cleaners? Do they contain silicone, alcohol or chemical solvents?
Armor AllŪ Auto Glass Cleaner contains propylene glycol ether, isopropanol and surfactants. Armor AllŪ Multi-Purpose Cleaner contains surfactants, n-propoxypropanol and builders. Armor AllŪ Carpet and Upholstery Cleaner contains surfactants, n-propoxypropanol builders and isobutene.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:15 AM   #8
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
To keep the vehicle interior looking the best, it should be cleaned often. It is important to keep the
upholstery from becoming heavily soiled. The vehicle's interior can experience extreme heat, which
can cause stains to set quickly. Lighter color interiors may require more frequent cleaning. Care
should be taken because newspapers and garments may transfer color to the vehicle's interior.
Many of today's interiors are made with new low gloss materials. Permanent damage may result
from using cleaners on ANY surfaces (interior trim, instrument panel, carpet, leather, vinyl and
fabric) for which they are not intended. Using non-approved products can actually set the stain to
the point that nothing can remove it.

Important:• Do not use silicone or wax-based products or those containing organic solvents (such as
naptha, alcohol, etc) to clean your vehicle's interior because they can alter the appearance by
increasing the gloss in a non-uniform manner. The increase in gloss may cause annoying
reflections in the windshield and even make it difficult to see through the windshield under
certain conditions.
• Never use a STIFF brush or a brush that has been previously used with a harsh chemical. This
can cause damage to the vehicle's interior surfaces.
• Use only mild, Neutral-pH cleaners. Avoid laundry detergents or dishwashing soaps with
degreasers. Using too much soap will leave residue that leaves streaks and attracts dirt.

Because it is critical to use only mild, neutral-pH cleaners, General Motors has approved the use of
the cleaners and conditioners listed in this bulletin for the cleaning of interiors. These products are
in the neutral-pH range and will maintain the best vehicle interior appearance. These products are
water-based, biodegradable, and do not contain bleach, solvents or harsh chemicals.

Because it is critical to use only mild, neutral-pH cleaners, General Motors has approved the use of
the cleaners and conditioners listed in this bulletin for the cleaning of interiors. These products are
in the neutral-pH range and will maintain the best vehicle interior appearance. These products are
water-based, biodegradable, and do not contain bleach, solvents or harsh chemicals.

Effective cleaning steps for hard and/or plastic surfaces:
1. Using a clean towel, apply/spray cleaner -- leather, vinyl, plastic, interior paint, directly onto
the towel.
2. Wipe the surface with the towel/cleaner.
3. If necessary, use a soft bristle brush to work cleaner into the crevasses of the area being
cleaned.
4. Wipe off any excess cleaner from the surface.
5. Using a clean towel, apply/spray the conditioner (leather, vinyl restorer) directly onto the
towel.
6. Wipe the conditioner onto the previously cleaned area to restore the material to it's original
luster.

Important: Today's interiors are developed and intended to have a low-gloss appearance. It
is important to use only products which provide a low-gloss finish in order to maintain the
interior's integrity, customer appeal and satisfaction.

Effective cleaning steps for fabric:
1. Remove any residue by lightly rubbing the surface with a clean towel.
2. Choose the appropriate stain remover based on the stain type.
3. Spray and lightly brush the area with a clean, soft bristle brush.
4. Gently blot up the stain.
5. On upholstery/carpet, the use of a fabric protector can help to reduce or eliminate future
staining.

Leather Conditioner/Restorer
A Leather Conditioner/Restorer is also available. The restorer is safe for all vinyl and leather. It is a
water-based product and contains essential emollients to restore suppleness, conditions and adds
luster without adding gloss. The restorer will also provide protection against restaining.
Dye Transfer: Dye transfer will happen any time a natural fiber like cotton, silk, wool, or suede
comes into contact with leather. The lighter the leather color, the more quickly the dye transfer will
appear. Leather should be cleaned on a regular basis so that the dirt and grime do not adversely affect the top coat of the leather. After cleaning the leather, it is important to treat the surface with
the restorer.

Products are available from your local GM dealer.
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:15 AM   #9
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Quote:
Originally Posted by promod55 View Post
The fact is it is a petroleum based product thus causing vinyl parts to get hard and crack.It will actually cause tires to "dry rot" prematurely
Again, over decades of use on tires, I've NEVER had an issue with rot...No, I don't use it anymore. I change to Tire SHine (or something) from Costco, and now use Zaino...
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:17 AM   #10
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
all covered in the pdi form link - attached
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 2010 Camaro PDI Form.pdf (1.33 MB, 559 views)
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:28 AM   #11
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
I cant say it damages anything, what I can say is that you use it and everything feels greasy, and then as soon as it gets wet (say your door gets a little rain on it when you get out in the rain) it gets all streaky. Screw that, I'll stick with wiping down with a damp rag.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 03:42 PM   #12
wrek
2G1FK1EJ6-9

I just hear people swear to never use it but I see it out at car shows all the time. I don't use it, I have my own mix I use.
2SS/RS Transformers Special Edition: Quick Time Performance Electric Cutouts, Custom Exterior Sound Effects (Transforming) by remote or button, Yellow autobot on windshield, Darkened tail and marker lights, Yellow fogs and signals (more yellow for signals), Dash Ambient Lighting, Black Painted Suitcase Mufflers, Autobot bowties and steering wheel, yellow leather stitching, yellow SS symbol on headrests, blacked out back trunk lid, blacked out brake light trim.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:30 PM   #13
NAHURRY
Love's to Detail

Drives: 2010 SS,97silverado/08crewcab
Armour all changed the ingredients about 10 years ago. It use to be oil
based , not any more. But if you ever try 303 aerospace protectant,
you will throw everything else out. It outlast any of them!
NAHURRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:44 AM   #14
wrek
2G1FK1EJ6-9

Free Samples of 303 products for $6 S&H