Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 07-18-2014, 03:09 PM   #1
Philar299

Drives: 2021 Forte GT
Vacation Destination...

Ok so i'm planning on going on vacation in November for my birthday.. I cant decide any ideas? Some that come to mind are the Bahamas, Hawaii, Vegas?

Any ideas would be appreciated, plus which hotels you've stayed at.

Previous cars:
2014 V6 Spring Edition
2018 WRX
2022 K5
2022 Stinger
Philar299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:25 PM   #2
Wabbit

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS SIM/Grey lnt/Sun/Nav
Coming out of BC, check prices with flights going out of Vancouver and Seattle (even Bellingham), the US based flights might be quite a bit cheaper, and you won't get any customs hassle crossing the land border.

I have been both to the Bahamas (Cruise) and Hawaii. I've been to Vegas lots. I am not one to sit on my butt on vacation. I want to see and do things.

I think I like Hawaii the best. Lots to do on Oahu that could fill up a week. Oahu probably has the most things to do. If you are looking for just kicking it on the beach, try Maui or Kauai.

Vegas tends to get boring quickly unless you are into gambling, or have transportation to go to Grand Canyon or some of the outlying areas. The touristy things there only last 2, maybe 3 days. I usually went for conventions, so I had a lot to do during the day. I would have dinner and gamble a little before bed.

Bahamas was nice. With the cruise, we were able to do different activities and go to different islands. Once you get off the boat, many things tended to be the same, so the excursions kept us busy.
Ambient Lighting - Saving my $$$ now
Wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:31 PM   #3
Philar299

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbit View Post
Coming out of BC, check prices with flights going out of Vancouver and Seattle (even Bellingham), the US based flights might be quite a bit cheaper, and you won't get any customs hassle crossing the land border.

I have been both to the Bahamas (Cruise) and Hawaii. I've been to Vegas lots. I am not one to sit on my butt on vacation. I want to see and do things.

I think I like Hawaii the best. Lots to do on Oahu that could fill up a week. Oahu probably has the most things to do. If you are looking for just kicking it on the beach, try Maui or Kauai.

Vegas tends to get boring quickly unless you are into gambling, or have transportation to go to Grand Canyon or some of the outlying areas. The touristy things there only last 2, maybe 3 days. I usually went for conventions, so I had a lot to do during the day. I would have dinner and gamble a little before bed.

Bahamas was nice. With the cruise, we were able to do different activities and go to different islands. Once you get off the boat, many things tended to be the same, so the excursions kept us busy.
Wow awesome! thanks! Yeah i'm gonna be flying out of Bellingham.

Yeah i'm looking to go around enjoy my time, and of course lay on the beach a bit. Going for a week so beach only would be rather boring. I have a deal where i only pay for flight and hotel is covered. Dont think i want to waste on Vegas lol.

What do you think about Waikiki? I saw the Hyatt hotel there on the list.
For Bahamas i know the Breezes Resort is on there.

You from BC?

Previous cars:
2014 V6 Spring Edition
2018 WRX
2022 K5
2022 Stinger
Old 07-18-2014, 03:32 PM   #4
Mouse6.2

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS M6 NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbit View Post

I agree, Hawaii has a ton of things to do and depending on the time of year, November might be the start to the big waves on the North Shore, they happen in the winter from what I was told. There is plenty to do there. As for a place to stay, I was lucky and was able to stay at a hotel for Military members and retirees. It is right on Wikiki Beach and was $160 a night for a partial ocean view. I'm sure there are other places in that area that would be comparable. Maybe try some of the internet sites like Kayak. All the main night life is really close by in that area. I'm sure there are others on here that know way more and can pitch in.
Mouse6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:04 PM   #5
Wabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philar299 View Post
Wow awesome! thanks! Yeah i'm gonna be flying out of Bellingham.

Yeah i'm looking to go around enjoy my time, and of course lay on the beach a bit. Going for a week so beach only would be rather boring. I have a deal where i only pay for flight and hotel is covered. Dont think i want to waste on Vegas lol.

What do you think about Waikiki? I saw the Hyatt hotel there on the list.
For Bahamas i know the Breezes Resort is on there.

You from BC?
Waikiki is the best place to stay. They have a trolly bus company. Buy the 7-day pass for all routes. Get's you to a fair amount of the tourist sites around Waikiki for a reasonable price. Arizona memorial can get spendy to go, but is worth it. Make sure you get the trip to the Missouri as well. Depending on age/physical ability, try surfing or paddleboarding, it was fun.

The Military hotel the other guy mentioned has a Luau that is nice, and you don't have to be military to go. Reasonable price for a Waikiki location. Most everything in Waikiki is in walking distance.

Close to Tacoma, actually.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:07 PM   #6
Wabbit

If you like Hawaii Five-O, hang out at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. They do film in the bar and pool area. Depending on when you go, they might be filming. We missed the Godzilla filming last year by about 2 blocks. We were too tired to go anyway.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:08 PM   #7
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Drives: 2011, 2SS/RS, Synergy
I've always preferred all inclusives on the beach. But I am not like you....when I go that is mostly what I do....lay on the beach, drink, eat, drink, drink....

With the ex we always went to Sandals resorts with our favorite being Whitehouse in Jamaica.

Last year, with my new girl, we went to the Iberostar Grand in Playa del Carmen. It was awesome. They have beach service and bring you iced buckets of beer LOL, woman walks around handing out Magnum ice cream bars, etc. Service really was incredible.

On trip advisor it is the #1 ranked all inclusive in the world by travelers.

2011 Camaro SS/RS Synergy-1 of 255-Sold
You will be missed but you are in good hands!

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Mydivorcegift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:10 PM   #8
Philar299

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mydivorcegift View Post
I've always preferred all inclusives on the beach. But I am not like you....when I go that is mostly what I do....lay on the beach, drink, eat, drink, drink....

With the ex we always went to Sandals resorts with our favorite being Whitehouse in Jamaica.

Last year, with my new girl, we went to the Iberostar Grand in Playa del Carmen. It was awesome. They have beach service and bring you iced buckets of beer LOL, woman walks around handing out Magnum ice cream bars, etc. Service really was incredible.

On trip advisor it is the #1 ranked all inclusive in the world by travelers.
haha that actually sounds like a fun place to relax!!
But yeah i'm not much of a drinker so i'll be doing some of that but mostly activities and exploring.

Previous cars:
2014 V6 Spring Edition
2018 WRX
2022 K5
2022 Stinger
Old 07-18-2014, 05:30 PM   #9
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philar299 View Post
haha that actually sounds like a fun place to relax!!
But yeah i'm not much of a drinker so i'll be doing some of that but mostly activities and exploring.
It was. I'm not a drinker 50 weeks out of the year...

But....

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Old 07-18-2014, 06:11 PM   #10
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
Are you going by yourself? The wife and I always do Sandals Resorts, Royal Bahamian is our favorite. Just went on our free trip (70 paid nights = 7 nights free) last May. If you like exploring and activities The Bahamas may be a bit boring for you, it's a small place unless you are into diving/snorkeling etc. Obviously Sandals is a couples only resort, we love it there, no kids!

Hawaii is a LONG trip but cannot beat the views. Also very pricey $$

Las Vegas is Vegas, but I have never been because I know I would get into WAY TOO MUCH trouble there
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:37 PM   #11
LikaRokBowTie

Drives: 221SS1LE
Europe,unless you've been already.Puerto Rico,Cayman Islands.....I guess how much you can spend is always the deciding factor when it comes to vacationsgood luck.
LikaRokBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:51 PM   #12
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikaRokBowTie View Post
Europe,unless you've been already.Puerto Rico,Cayman Islands.....I guess how much you can spend is always the deciding factor when it comes to vacationsgood luck.
That's why I've always preferred AI resorts. Just pay one price...you can get nickle'd and dime'd to death on drinks and food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Car Lover View Post
Are you going by yourself? The wife and I always do Sandals Resorts, Royal Bahamian is our favorite. Just went on our free trip (70 paid nights = 7 nights free) last May.
Nice. I remember when we got ours we did 2 trips that year. Never made it to RB. Matter of fact we never went anywhere but Jamaica. Use to have the hookup at SW. Pay for the bottom of the barrel room and get "upgraded" to the Butler Suite

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Old 07-18-2014, 07:00 PM   #13
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mydivorcegift View Post
That's why I've always preferred AI resorts. Just pay one price...you can get nickle'd and dime'd to death on drinks and food.

Nice. I remember when we got ours we did 2 trips that year. Never made it to RB. Matter of fact we never went anywhere but Jamaica. Use to have the hookup at SW. Pay for the bottom of the barrel room and get "upgraded" to the Butler Suite
We were married at RB 10 years ago, have been there 8 times. Tried Jamaica (the one near the airport) and the Antigua resort (It's HUMUNGOUS BIG) but seem to prefer RB. Been doing Butler service last 8 trips, only way to go
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:00 PM   #14
trm2

Drives: Model S, Vette, Volt & Equinox
Oahu is my least favorite of the Hawaiian islands. Hawaii (the Big Island) is my favorite, but I've been to Maui the most!

What do you like to do? Not to get too personal, but what kind of budget? I've travelled quite a bit and can recommend hotels from $100/ night to $3,000/ night.
trm2 is offline   Reply With Quote