Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 09-12-2017, 01:26 PM   #1
DonM
Camaro #4

Drives: 2017-Hyper Blue Metallic-2LTmanual
Going to be one of "those" guys

I've finally had it with my stock headlights, and I can't afford the projectors ... sooo, I'm getting a set of LEDs for my Camaro. Since all I'm hearing is how short the lifespan is on the Silverstar bulbs etc, I decided to go blinding.

Flame away.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:49 PM   #2
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Post pics when you got them in . I didn't think anyone made good LED head light bulbs.

Now HID's on the other hand can be real bright and the headlight isn't designed for them. I have a set in the GSXR (6k white on the verge of blue) very bright . I keep them on low and they are still way bright. People move out of the way when I pull up behind them.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:02 PM   #3
DonM
Camaro #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Coopgt View Post
Post pics when you got them in . I didn't think anyone made good LED head light bulbs.

Now HID's on the other hand can be real bright and the headlight isn't designed for them. I have a set in the GSXR (6k white on the verge of blue) very bright . I keep them on low and they are still way bright. People move out of the way when I pull up behind them.
Headlight Experts

I'm looking at these and on EBay. I found a ton of them by putting: h13 9008 led kit in the search bar.

Last edited by DonM; 09-12-2017 at 02:34 PM.
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:01 PM   #4
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
You can get a set of projectors with halos delivered for only $250 off ebay. They are on my car in the signature below
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:08 PM   #5
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...adlights&rt=nc
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:39 PM   #6
orange devil
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 SS 2019 mustang GT
I have some aftermarket headlights for my 14.. I really wanted to stock RS ones but they're so expensive that I could almost do the whole ZL1 conversion with headlights cheaper than what some of those prices of those those headlights are going for the RS.. your headlights look really good was there any additional wiring that you had to hook up to your marker lights or anything?
orange devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:53 PM   #7
riozlander
that guy <--------

Drives: 2012 camaro V6 LS M6
I ended up getting the spider auto ones for 150$ because they were a return on amazon only one box was open. They work fine easy in and out. Just a heads up if you go aftermarket projector most if not all of them will not take the stock bulb size and you need to run h7 headlights to fit. Your going to be spending some extra money in lights. Spyder had a conversion from h13-h7 already plug and play for the h7 bulbs.
I now need a inverter for the ccfl halos. Switchback led for the turn signals and a h7 LED canbus over ride.
If you want projectors from aftermarket get ready for a fun day of planning and reading others old posts on here to get a pointer in the right direction. Or follow me and jump in head 1st and figure it out your self.

If you just want brighter light id just put LED bulbs in the stock housings. You wont blind people it will be better sight at night and the you can save up for a a full projector housing system, lights wires etc etc.
Im doing one step at a time
riozlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:19 PM   #8
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
I can assure you they're going to be garbage.
Have fun trying to get your money back.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:23 AM   #9
DonM
Camaro #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBananaSS View Post
You can get a set of projectors with halos delivered for only $250 off ebay. They are on my car in the signature below
As is, the wife isn't too happy with the $100 for the LEDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbs View Post
I can assure you they're going to be garbage.
Have fun trying to get your money back.
Can't be a whole lot worse than the 1 candle-power headlights I have now.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:20 AM   #10
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM View Post
Flame away.
Why? Seems like the point of this thread is just to have an argument and for you to defend your decisions. What's the point?

When you get them installed, post a thread about your thoughts on the switch.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:06 AM   #11
DonM
Camaro #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
Why? Seems like the point of this thread is just to have an argument and for you to defend your decisions. What's the point?

When you get them installed, post a thread about your thoughts on the switch.
Not really, I just remember hearing all the negative comments about using LED and HID bulbs in Halogen headlights because of the glare affect on other drivers.

I am comfortable with my decision as it is a mod that IMO MUST be done and this is the only way I can afford to do it.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:41 AM   #12
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Are your stockers really that poor? I've been pretty happy with my output on my 2013. Curious to see your thoughts on how well an LED does in your housing. I've always heard that LEDs are brighter, but don't project their light as far as a standard bulb inside of a halogen housing.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:46 PM   #13
DonM
Camaro #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
Are your stockers really that poor? I've been pretty happy with my output on my 2013. Curious to see your thoughts on how well an LED does in your housing. I've always heard that LEDs are brighter, but don't project their light as far as a standard bulb inside of a halogen housing.
If there is even a slight rain, my lights disappear. There are almost no reflections from road signs as I approach, even with high-beams on. I was in southern Ohio in mid August ... no streetlights, nothing. All I could see was a minimal tunnel of light that wasn't all that bright, even when it was pitch black all around me.

Now according to their website, Headlight Experts says that the LED bulbs beams are based on the reflector housing so your beam pattern with the LEDs will be the same as with the halogens, just brighter.

I will let you know, I'm hoping to convince the wife to get the lights for my birthday.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:32 PM   #14
riozlander
that guy <--------

Drives: 2012 camaro V6 LS M6
Can't see anything at all?
Sure you don't just need new headlights because my stocks were pretty good
I'm just bored and can't leave well enough alone witch is why I switch to projectors.

If you want brighter LED will do it. But buy quality alot of LED systems stop working because of heat killing the boards the leds mount to every company loves to boast about there cooling as well soo good luck.
riozlander is offline   Reply With Quote