#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 02-11-2016, 09:50 PM   #1
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Anyone have experience with the E-DIFF?

Curious if anybody has driven a car with it and can explain features and benefits better than Google lol?
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:54 PM   #2
The1DoubleN
Banned

Drives: Blown up '16 SS
I can't explain anything but the LSD on this car means business in the canyons roads, you can feel it straighten out the car when gassing it out of a corner, like AWD for the real axel only :-). It works well and seamlessly. I will say however it does not seem to like the 4 floor windy ramp up my office parking garage, feels like it's fighting to keep the wheels at the same speed since the ramp is so tightly wound and made of uneven pavement.
The1DoubleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:55 PM   #3
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The1DoubleN View Post
I can't explain anything but the LSD on this car means business in the canyons roads, you can feel it straighten out the car when gassing it out of a corner, like AWD for the real axel only :-). It works well and seamlessly. I will say however it does not seem to like the 4 floor windy ramp up my office parking garage, feels like it's fighting to keep the wheels at the same speed since the ramp is so tightly wound and made of uneven pavement.
You don't have an e-diff if you are talking about the car in your profile.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:37 PM   #4
mcsoul

Drives: Want a gen 6
A smart electronic limited-slip differential (eLSD) is included in the Z51 Performance Package and continuously makes the most of the torque split between the rear wheels. The system features a hydraulically actuated clutch that can infinitely vary clutch engagement and can respond from open to full engagement in tenths of a second. It shifts torque based on a unique algorithm which factors in vehicle speed, steering input and throttle position to improve steering feel, handling balance and traction.

The eLSD is fully integrated with StabiliTrak and Performance Traction Management systems. Its calibrations vary among three modes, based on the Drive Mode Selector setting:

Mode 1 is the default setting for normal driving and emphasizes vehicle stability
Mode 2 is engaged when electronic stability control is turned off in the Sport or Track Driver Modes. This calibration enables more nimble turn-in and traction while accelerating out of a corner
Mode 3 is automatically selected when Performance Traction Management is engaged. This calibration has the same function as Mode 2, but is fine-tuned to work with Performance Traction Management.

Read more: http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...#ixzz3zvPwhrSE
mcsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:40 PM   #5
The1DoubleN
Banned

Drives: Blown up '16 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
You don't have an e-diff if you are talking about the car in your profile.
My bad. At any rate the LSD on the current SS is great, and i've had electronic difs on BMW's that didn't seem to respond as quickly.....
The1DoubleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:55 PM   #6
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport-Ho-Vette
on my vette it tracks great , very predictable, not sure how to explain it, but it puts the power to the pavement
Old 02-12-2016, 01:23 AM   #7
JeffInDFW
Camaro owner for 29 years

Drives: 96 Viper GTS/09 Sky Redline/95 Z28
I have driven a new Z51 Corvette with the new Electronic Limited Slip Diff (eLSD) on track, and it is game changing technology IMO.

To explain it in very simplified term, it is usually best to exaggerate both extremes. If you have a completely OPEN differential, the car is easy to rotate (or turn) in a corner. If you have a LOCKED rear differential, it is easy to put down power because both rear tires are spinning at the exact same speed, but the car will only go straight. The eLSD that GM developed in house uses ALL of the information brought in by the stability control system, the AMAZING Performance Traction Management system (best in the business IMO), yaw sensors, throttle sensor, tire temperature, etc etc etc, then uses an electronically controlled clutch inside the rear diff which can switch between FULL OPEN and FULLY LOCKED (and everything in between) in fractions of a second. So, the car is able to infinitely vary the amount of "rotate" the rear end has at every single moment of the corner. That is MY understanding of how it works. What I can tell you first hand is, it does work. It almost feels like there is a hand of God back there tidying up my racing line. When I am expecting the car to understeer or oversteer, it somehow does not happen. I think this is why GM was able to put such a narrow tire on the C7 Z51, add 250 pounds of weight and remove 45 horsepower and have it lap very close to the C6 Z06.

AND GM HAS PUT THIS PIECE OF MAGIC IN THE NEW 1LE. You guys who take your car onto a track/autocross will love it.
JeffInDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 04:03 AM   #8
Brian 1LE SS

Drives: 98 Camaro SS
I wonder how well it will hold up under the strain of some sticky Hoosiers.
<a href=http://www.norcal-lsx.com/multimedia/data/500/562752_4054654816027_115782456_n.jpg target=_blank>http://www.norcal-lsx.com/multimedia...15782456_n.jpg</a>
Brian 1LE SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 06:59 AM   #9
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsoul View Post
A smart electronic limited-slip differential (eLSD) is included in the Z51 Performance Package and continuously makes the most of the torque split between the rear wheels. The system features a hydraulically actuated clutch that can infinitely vary clutch engagement and can respond from open to full engagement in tenths of a second. It shifts torque based on a unique algorithm which factors in vehicle speed, steering input and throttle position to improve steering feel, handling balance and traction.

The eLSD is fully integrated with StabiliTrak and Performance Traction Management systems. Its calibrations vary among three modes, based on the Drive Mode Selector setting:

Mode 1 is the default setting for normal driving and emphasizes vehicle stability
Mode 2 is engaged when electronic stability control is turned off in the Sport or Track Driver Modes. This calibration enables more nimble turn-in and traction while accelerating out of a corner
Mode 3 is automatically selected when Performance Traction Management is engaged. This calibration has the same function as Mode 2, but is fine-tuned to work with Performance Traction Management.

Read more: http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...#ixzz3zvPwhrSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycraft View Post
on my vette it tracks great , very predictable, not sure how to explain it, but it puts the power to the pavement
This pretty much sums it up. On the street you will mostly notice it helping with stability. On the tracks, you can come on the power a bit quicker as you unwind the steering. It REALLY helps in the fast S curves as the weight is shift from one side to another.

Question, and I apologize if this is in one of the many 1LE posts (haven't had time to go through them all), but does the 6th gen have the DIC screen to show you how the torque vectoring is applied? The C7 has a screen that shows % between the two wheels, but it would be nice if it had imaginary lines for predicted angle. I think that would help refine your turn in points.

Last edited by GretchenGotGrowl; 02-12-2016 at 07:13 AM.
GretchenGotGrowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 07:43 AM   #10
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The1DoubleN View Post
My bad. At any rate the LSD on the current SS is great, and i've had electronic difs on BMW's that didn't seem to respond as quickly.....
Yeah, the e-diff on BMW's is crap. From the info above, it sounds like this is a true LSD that is electronically controlled. The "e-diff" on BMW's non-M cars is basically an open diff and the car can apply one rear brake to keep it from slipping. It's total garbage. I like how the GM one sounds though!!
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 07:58 AM   #11
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Sounds very interesting...seems like it may even help at the drag strip too.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:04 AM   #12
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport-Ho-Vette
The 1 le is a track car.. not a drag car.. i would mod a auto ss for that

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-2016, 08:11 AM   #13
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycraft View Post
The 1 le is a track car.. not a drag car.. i would mod a auto ss for that

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Oh, I'm well aware. I was making a statement...as I do autocross and drag race, so it may help there too. I did the same with my C5 Z06...for 10 years.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:13 AM   #14
Boilermaker128

Drives: 2010 CobaltSSTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffInDFW View Post
I have driven a new Z51 Corvette with the new Electronic Limited Slip Diff (eLSD) on track, and it is game changing technology IMO.

To explain it in very simplified term, it is usually best to exaggerate both extremes. If you have a completely OPEN differential, the car is easy to rotate (or turn) in a corner. If you have a LOCKED rear differential, it is easy to put down power because both rear tires are spinning at the exact same speed, but the car will only go straight. The eLSD that GM developed in house uses ALL of the information brought in by the stability control system, the AMAZING Performance Traction Management system (best in the business IMO), yaw sensors, throttle sensor, tire temperature, etc etc etc, then uses an electronically controlled clutch inside the rear diff which can switch between FULL OPEN and FULLY LOCKED (and everything in between) in fractions of a second. So, the car is able to infinitely vary the amount of "rotate" the rear end has at every single moment of the corner. That is MY understanding of how it works. What I can tell you first hand is, it does work. It almost feels like there is a hand of God back there tidying up my racing line. When I am expecting the car to understeer or oversteer, it somehow does not happen. I think this is why GM was able to put such a narrow tire on the C7 Z51, add 250 pounds of weight and remove 45 horsepower and have it lap very close to the C6 Z06.

AND GM HAS PUT THIS PIECE OF MAGIC IN THE NEW 1LE. You guys who take your car onto a track/autocross will love it.
Tire temperature? Are you sure mate? Is there an actual heat sensor in your wheels or is it a best guess from outside temp+other factors?
Boilermaker128 is offline   Reply With Quote