Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-20-2008, 08:49 PM   #1
topgun1

Drives: 10 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Why does the L99 get special treatment?

I've been trying to understand Chevy's reason for making 2 versions of the 6.2liter V-8 engine. Why does the L99 get 1) Active Fuel Management, 2) variable valve timing, and 3) a transmission that you can "optimize" the shift points.

The fuel economy is only 1 mpg better for the L-99 versus the LS3, so what is the big deal with the AFM and why doesn't the LS3 have it. The detuned, but supposedly faster L-99, doesn't really make much sense. In Chevy's history, there was the same engine, whether it was auto or manual, like the LT1 or LS1, etc.

There is launch control on the 422-hp 6speed manual, but evidently (in preliminary testing) is still 0.3 seconds slower than the 400 hp auto, which doesn't make alot of sense to me.

My beef is that if they are going to have these power-enhancing and fuel-saving technologies on one engine, they should have it on the other, or just offer one engine, with an auto or manual. The competition should be focused on rival cars, not battles for what engine is faster in the same car!, but that's just my two cents worth.

what are your opinions?
VMS Stage 2.5 Comp Cams kit, Cold Air Inductions intake, ADM race scoop, DT 1 3/4" headers, Solo cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, Pypes cutouts, HP tune, H&R SuperSport springs, Eibach sways/spacers, TexasSpeed UD pulley, LSR tensioner pulley, Barton shifter, skip shift eliminator, powder-coated calipers, R1 concept rotors, StopTech pads, Granatelli wires, Lloyds mats, tint, AAC afterburner taillamps, AAC scanner/sidemarkers, SRP pedals, custom engine cover, black bowties, Ridergraphix hood spears....
topgun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:51 PM   #2
shank0668

Drives: '14 LML/'06 LJ/'76 Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun1 View Post
I've been trying to understand Chevy's reason for making 2 versions of the 6.2liter V-8 engine. Why does the L99 get 1) Active Fuel Management, 2) variable valve timing, and 3) a transmission that you can "optimize" the shift points.

The fuel economy is only 1 mpg better for the L-99 versus the LS3, so what is the big deal with the AFM and why doesn't the LS3 have it. The detuned, but supposedly faster L-99, doesn't really make much sense. In Chevy's history, there was the same engine, whether it was auto or manual, like the LT1 or LS1, etc.

There is launch control on the 422-hp 6speed manual, but evidently (in preliminary testing) is still 0.3 seconds slower than the 400 hp auto, which doesn't make alot of sense to me.

My beef is that if they are going to have these power-enhancing and fuel-saving technologies on one engine, they should have it on the other, or just offer one engine, with an auto or manual. The competition should be focused on rival cars, not battles for what engine is faster in the same car!, but that's just my two cents worth.

what are your opinions?
all the o-60 1/4 mile i would bet is bs
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:52 PM   #3
topgun1

Drives: 10 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
yeah, i'm with you on that--i'm waiting for some real track testing numbers.
VMS Stage 2.5 Comp Cams kit, Cold Air Inductions intake, ADM race scoop, DT 1 3/4" headers, Solo cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, Pypes cutouts, HP tune, H&R SuperSport springs, Eibach sways/spacers, TexasSpeed UD pulley, LSR tensioner pulley, Barton shifter, skip shift eliminator, powder-coated calipers, R1 concept rotors, StopTech pads, Granatelli wires, Lloyds mats, tint, AAC afterburner taillamps, AAC scanner/sidemarkers, SRP pedals, custom engine cover, black bowties, Ridergraphix hood spears....
topgun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:08 PM   #4
camaro&T/A

Drives: '82 Z28 400SB
The reason they used 2 different engines is because AFM doesn't work wth the manual. the reason it's less powerful isn't because of the automatic tranny, it's because of the AFM. it's probably quicker becuase a computer can shift faster than a person (quicker reaction time) why they bothered with it for 1mpg idk...
camaro&T/A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:19 PM   #5
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro&T/A View Post
why they bothered with it for 1mpg idk...
for the first time in the camaro the auto is actually getting better mpg then the manual. a manual z28 ls1 could get upwards of 28 mpg highway where as the auto got 25. AFM is the shiznit and made up for the 6th gear the manual had. but now they both have 6 gears. . .and AFM is supposedly good for only 3%.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:44 PM   #6
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
The reason they used 2 different engines is because AFM doesn't work wth the manual. the reason it's less powerful isn't because of the automatic tranny, it's because of the AFM. it's probably quicker becuase a computer can shift faster than a person (quicker reaction time) why they bothered with it for 1mpg idk...
GM promised AFM and VVT, and they delivered. I'm guessing they tried to put these features in the manual, but the LS3 is just not capable of it without serious modification. I'm fairly certain that someone posted that the manual cannot use AFM at all, but I can't remember the justification for this. The fuel efficiency is a first because it means that the auto will be more fuel efficient than the manual, as boxmonkeyracing stated.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 01:38 AM   #7
ralniv

Drives: far too much
A slight correction to your gripe... you can't optimize the shift pts on the L99 (at least not without adding mods). GM optimized the shift pts on the L99.

Why did they do it? Probably wanted to showcase some advanced technology and give the appearance of going green. The LS3 didn't get it because GM's AFM doesn't work with manual trannies. I don't know why it doesn't work with manuals. I would expect the Gen V engine with a manual transmission will get some technological love.

I'm glad to see GM squeeze better performance from an automatic transmission. The auto drivers have always been shafted on performance and fuel economy. The role reversal is refreshing; especially since I drive an automatic due to an abundance of city driving.
ralniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:06 AM   #8
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
they actually are the same architecture and use the same block, heads and pistons/crank. the diffrence is the ls3 block doesnt have the bosses drilled for the afm equipment that goes under the knocksensor plate. so you re getting the same engine just less hp in exhange for the afm equipment.
headpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:21 PM   #9
MajorTom

Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
The auto version is probably mostly for the image of going green. And I think that when we see real 1/4 mile times we'll see the truth about performance. And I bet there's not much of a difference with a good driver in both cars.

The fact that the Automatic is supposed to be a tad faster has no effect on which transmission I want in my Camaro.
MajorTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:42 PM   #10
Mblock66

Drives: 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
People need to quit assuming that Auto is "faster".

Some bogus numbers were released and I can't believe people embrased them. The car in production trim hasn't even been released to anyone to test yet. Even with shifts optimized a lighter car with launch control and more power is going to win with a very good driver. Don't forget that GM has put no lift shift technology into its cars now. Like in the Cobalt SS.

You no longer have to lift off the gas when shifting. So there is no loss of RPM and with a clean shift there is now no advantage for the auto.

People said the same thing about the vettes with this tranny. Now the LS3 Manual is running 11.7's and the Autos are still running 12.2's
Mblock66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:43 PM   #11
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
Quote:
The reason they botherd is because of CAFE Standards. Everywhere any manufacturer can produce improvements (no matter how small it may appear to us as enthusiasts) is a gain for the overall fleet averages sold in a given year.

That really shouldn't be an issue. I much like others here, would wait to see what verified track tests show.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:49 PM   #12
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Has anyone mentioned the possibility that the AFM is only on the Automatic because the Valvetrain isn't as strong as the normal Valvetrain and if it was on the Manual and you missed a Shift or downshifted too soon you could over rev the engine and destroy the valvetrain...Most Automatics will not downshift untill the rpms are in a safe range. also may be why the AFM has less horsepower.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:22 PM   #13
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun1 View Post

what are your opinions?
the L99 is an LS3 with AFM.
AFM does not work with a manual (tho we've discussed possiblities for that elsewhere)
History is changing, CAFE restrictions are adding to the pressure auto makers have already.
some people want their cake and eat it too, AFM gives you that. nice strong off the line, 400 hp, 4 cyl running when cruising. GM wants to sell as many of these cars as possible. offering a powerful engine that has the capability to save on the mpg's is what some people want. not everyone who buys this car is going to hot rod the hell out of it.

and your beef is correct, to an extent. they aren't battling it out between the two cars to see which one is the best between them, they are getting baseline numbers to throw to the masses (and the competitors' faces) almost every car that has come out has been tested in the auto and manual trim, not to fight against itself, but to get the numbers for both auto and manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by shank0668 View Post
all the o-60 1/4 mile i would bet is bs
why, cus an auto has to be slower than a manual? cus the manual has to have better fuel economy?

or is it cus the auto is now a 6speed as well, and can therefore have a larger array of gear ratios.... speaking of which, auto's 1st gear is like ~4:1 where the manual is ~3:1. freakin crazy. which leads to the auto being able to get out of the hole a lot faster/easier with less power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblock66 View Post
People need to quit assuming that Auto is "faster".

Some bogus numbers were released and I can't believe people embrased them. The car in production trim hasn't even been released to anyone to test yet. Even with shifts optimized a lighter car with launch control and more power is going to win with a very good driver. Don't forget that GM has put no lift shift technology into its cars now. Like in the Cobalt SS.

You no longer have to lift off the gas when shifting. So there is no loss of RPM and with a clean shift there is now no advantage for the auto.

People said the same thing about the vettes with this tranny. Now the LS3 Manual is running 11.7's and the Autos are still running 12.2's
wow... you need to quit assuming the Manual is "faster"

i can show you plenty of cars with less than 350 hp that are faster than 500hp cars. hell, the bolt-on record for LT1s is 11.9 for the manual and.....wait for it.....11.6 for the auto. both motors pushing 346 hp.

and the manual driver is one hell of a driver too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
Has anyone mentioned the possibility that the AFM is only on the Automatic because the Valvetrain isn't as strong as the normal Valvetrain and if it was on the Manual and you missed a Shift or downshifted too soon you could over rev the engine and destroy the valvetrain...Most Automatics will not downshift untill the rpms are in a safe range. also may be why the AFM has less horsepower.

thats a possiblity, the main reason is that you get a slight "jerk" from the motor when it shuts down or starts up those 4 cyls. with an auto, the torque converter/tranny fluid takes that and you dont feel it, whereas with the manual, it would be a lot stronger of a jolt
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:09 PM   #14
SoFlaZ

Drives: 2013 SS LS3
It just came to me, the L99 is a L92 from an Escalade with a LS3 intake manifold instead of a vortec mani and probably a different cam for low end torque reasons in a large SUV. It's not so much that its special treatment, thats just how the motor comes I guess. Though idk how hard it would be to outfit the LS3 at least with VVT.
SoFlaZ is offline   Reply With Quote