Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-31-2019, 09:56 PM   #1
CC19

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro 2SS Automatic
Rear or Secondary Cat Delete?

I’m just wondering what’s the benefit of Rear or secondary Cat Delete? I’ve decided I’m going With Borla’s Atak Cat Back Exhaust system and either Kooks or Tsp LT Headers. But I see a lot of members on here that suggest you do a Cat Delete prior? Any Input appreciated , I just want my Currently stock 14SS L99 to have the best sound it can have, thanks everyone.
CC19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 09:35 AM   #2
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Long tube headers will delete the cats. Don't buy cat deletes if you're going to buy long tube headers

Buy catless or catted mid pipes
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53

Last edited by xc_SS/RS; 08-01-2019 at 02:10 PM.
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 09:38 AM   #3
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
I would also listen to some set ups with LTs and the ATAK. ATAK sounds great with stock manifolds, but gets really loud with long-tubes.

I personally prefer the s-type borla and longtubes.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 11:33 AM   #4
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Secondary cat delete is a popular mod on a 6th gen car, but what you're planning on doing will replace the entire exhaust system so there's really no point.

With long tube headers you'll either get catless mid pipes or high flow cats as your options and that will replace your stock cats. The catback will take care of everything else.

As ChibiBlackSheep said, I'd recommend finding someone with the setup you're after as the Borla Atak is a very aggressive exhaust, especially with long tube headers. If it's what you're after then awesome, but there's no point in spending all of that money to find out it is too aggressive for your taste.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 02:51 PM   #5
MaggieSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS (m6)
The previous owner of my 5th had a secondary cat delete with a muffler delete. It honestly sounded horrible. It sounded like a v8 truck with a muffler delete. Just a blur of bass in your ears with next to no tone.

I put catless long tube headers on it with a non resonated x pipe and it sounded a lot better. The drone was the only bad part so I picked up a pair of Solo J Pipes and now it has a tone to it and doesn’t drone but it’s still loud on the outside.
MaggieSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:35 PM   #6
rangerdave1

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
I don't want to hijack the thread but do long tube headers increase the loudness for any mufflers?? I have Flow master something mufflers which sound great with zero drone and are near silent on the highway or cruising under 2k RPM... I want to do LT headers but not if it will get much louder.
rangerdave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 08:12 PM   #7
MaggieSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS (m6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerdave1 View Post
I don't want to hijack the thread but do long tube headers increase the loudness for any mufflers?? I have Flow master something mufflers which sound great with zero drone and are near silent on the highway or cruising under 2k RPM... I want to do LT headers but not if it will get much louder.
Yes, very loud. You gotta remember that the stock headers are cast iron.. Putting stainless steel is gonna increase pretty much every noise.

My Solo J Pipes kill drone but it’s still loud in the cabin and you definitely hear it when you give it a little gas.

Loud is different for everyone so the only way to find out is to actually do it.
MaggieSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 08:34 PM   #8
lemontwist

Drives: 12 2SS/RS L99,11 2SS/RS LS3totaled
i'm staying green LOL. i figure i'm burning a fair amount of gas the cats help with clean up my exhaust. i have never taken them off any car or truck. it is illegal to remove them in nc. we actually have inspection here up to 96 just safety,97 and up safety and emissions.
i don't really care to be loud at 50 years old,i'm already driving a YELLOW SS i don't need any more attention than i already get. i went with a magnaflow cat back and i'm done.
how much attention do you want?
lemontwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 10:48 PM   #9
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemontwist View Post
i'm staying green LOL. i figure i'm burning a fair amount of gas the cats help with clean up my exhaust. i have never taken them off any car or truck. it is illegal to remove them in nc. we actually have inspection here up to 96 just safety,97 and up safety and emissions.
i don't really care to be loud at 50 years old,i'm already driving a YELLOW SS i don't need any more attention than i already get. i went with a magnaflow cat back and i'm done.
Well, removing federally mandated emissions equipment is illegal in all 50 states. Whether or not your state inspects for that is a different story. I care for the environment. But I care more for that awesome smell that my car produces. I will let all those other people that keep their cats or drive electric make up for my carbon footprint. It's not like I'm rolling coal here.

I am 44 years old and my car is loud as hell, but sounds good, not just for loudness' sake. I do not do it for attention, but I do appreciate the attention it receives and the compliments it gets. I do it because the sound gives me a feeling that is difficult to put into words. It is an added sensory that compliments that feeling of it's power. I can certainly understand if someone else does not want their car this loud. That is what makes us 'us'. Everyone has their reasons.

But my god, I hope I never feel so old that I have to worry about 'attention' or be concerned with what about people think about how loud my car is. That is when I trade it in for a Prius.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:03 AM   #10
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemontwist View Post
How much power do you want? The stock headers and cats are always a big restriction on LS engines.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:49 AM   #11
pnwdan

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerdave1 View Post
Under 2k at highway speeds they will be close to the same. The auto cars get more drone.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:18 PM   #12
lemontwist

Drives: 12 2SS/RS L99,11 2SS/RS LS3totaled
i hear ya man, to each his own.i expected louder than i got with the magnaflow i have grown to like it after all it is a daily driven street car.
as far as how much power do i want. i traded a 2016 vw passat in for my camaro so a claimed 426 hp is good for me.
in another thread we spoke about if you need a tune after long tubes so there is a added cost if you are on a budget something to consider.

Last edited by lemontwist; 08-07-2019 at 08:32 PM.
lemontwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:26 PM   #13
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
You most likely will want to have HFC high flow cats to remove some rasp, and exhaust gas stink...……. and the deal is then you have one set of cats..... the connections on the stock exhaust are in different places and with just one cat you will get a delayed response code even with deleting the rear cats which will still have a wire going to the high flow cats...BTW, and the delayed response code to be tuned out by a line of code to disable the code is due to the longer distance for the flow to reach the 02 sensor...…….

BTW also totally removing cats is done mostly by forced induction guys, many may also do it for headers but it totally illegal for cars of our years, and a shop can be fined 10 k per occurrance..and many will not remove them unless your going to a HFC..... Just a few thoughts from a old timer... one 02 will be on the long tubes and one on the HFC and you may need extensions to reach them...and want to keep them clear of burning on the exhaust..... often the "Off road" tubes to extend the headers are exactly the shape of HFC..and they are called "OFF Road" specifically for that , should you ever get a fix it ticket for having a loud exhaust and they catch you without cats they may force you to return to stock and prove it in court...….. Just a few thoughts from a old hot rodder……… And a good set of HFC should last like 70-100k and bear nothing in common with old pellet style cats of yesteryears... And yes long tubes do increase sound from the mufflers and also sounds of the engines typewriter sound from the lifters being rollers....