Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 11-06-2021, 09:15 PM   #1
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
Help Bad CV Joint ?

2010 Camaro V6 Auto
Well Guy's I think I broke a Right rear CV Joint on the Camaro
Went to go across an intersection on got on it Hard to try and beat some traffic.
on the back side of the intersection there was a Bad Bump on the Hwy and with power still applied I heard a Loud pop.

I did get it home (about a Block away) but it sounded like i was going to Tear the back out of the Car

Question ??
I Thought all V6 Auto's had Standard rear Diff's, if that is so, then how did I drive the Car home with a broken CV Joint

What Axles are available for The V6 Auto

Can I upgrade the Axles to a V8/Manuel axle
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 01:23 AM   #2
AlanRubin
Banned

Drives: 2010 LS
What do you mean by Standard rear Diff? They're OPEN diffs, not LSD, so yeah
If a CV joint tore, the car would not move, because of the open differential.
The broken axle side would spin, it would be like the other tire was planted, and
the other side was on snow or ice and the losing traction wheel would spin.
Even the TCS would not be able to correct it, because the application of the
brake on that side would be applied to a wheel that was not spinning anyway.

I will have a set of axles when I tear my old cradle apart, and a new set of
rear seals. I don't think it's axles if you were able to move the car under its
own power. I will have a 3.27 open diff too, REAL CHEAP if you need them.
I was going to change the axle seals, the driver side is leaking. So, I bought
new seals, but later found a 2015 SS rear cradle, COMPLETE, for $450; slapped
that on last week. So, I have my complete V6 auto rear cradle. Just took the
1LE suspension parts off it, but the axles and DIFF are still in it, but will be easy
to remove.

I got lucky with that SS cradle. Everyone else wanted $1000 or more for just the
PARTS I needed to convert to 3.27 LSD. Well, I got the whole damn cradle,
with everything except the calipers. Also got an SS driveshaft for $70, the
whole thing, even though I only needed the rear section of it.

It's probably going to be a pinion or ring gear got torn up.I don't think the car would
move if an axle broke. I had one break on another car, and it would not move.
I was stuck at a traffic light, no one would help me push the car, so the State
Police impounded it. People would drive by, blow the horn and shoot me the finger,
but not ONE person stopped to ask what was wrong, or to help. I only needed
a push 10 feet, to make a right down a hill, and park in a store's parking lot to be
out of the way. Nope, not ONE single piece of humanity, so, I it was towed to an
impound lot, where I sat and waited for another tow truck to take me back to the
office.

When the axle broke at the CV joint, it made an awful crunching noise every time
I applied the fuel pedal. It came from the left side of the car, I knew what
happened immediately.

You cannot upgrade to SS axles, or any manual car axles with the V6 Auto open
diff. Spline count is different. You would need a 3.27 LSD, axles, and wheel
bearings, and rear driveshaft section of any manual car, or V8 car.

Last edited by AlanRubin; 11-08-2021 at 06:48 PM.
AlanRubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 03:16 PM   #3
WspoonSS

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS
Easiest way to tell if it’s an axle is grease on your rim or surrounding suspension parts. I blew the boot on my axle last week due to the axle nut coming loose during a hard shift.
Old 11-08-2021, 06:50 PM   #4
AlanRubin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WspoonSS View Post
Easiest way to tell if it’s an axle is grease on your rim or surrounding suspension parts. I blew the boot on my axle last week due to the axle nut coming loose during a hard shift.
That's if the boot went, he didn't mention that at all, just said he thinks
a CV joint broke. When I had that one break on me, there was no grease flung
anywhere, the boot didn't break...
Old 11-08-2021, 06:55 PM   #5
spyderbuddy

well I parked it, I'm Tried of putting money in a Car that won't stay running for a Year.
I've got a G6 that has no problems
and a 2015 Cadillac That does not give us any problems
The Camaro is just a piece of Junk From Chevy
Engine went bad at 80,000 mile
Replaced
Then the Exhaust catalytic convertors went bad, replaced
The Heater/Air conditioner flap is now broke
And now the Drive Axle Pinion or ring gear
The damn thing can set in the Back yard and rot
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
Old 11-09-2021, 04:57 AM   #6
AlanRubin
Banned

The 2010 Camaro V6 nickel and dimes me to death, but it's a work vehicle
for me. The later model G6 and that 2015 Caddy will all be updated, so yeah,
they're more reliable engine wise. I have 238,000 miles on my 2010 V6, so
it's a crap shoot. People don't know the issues with the LLT and let them get
too low on oil, which is a known problem. That 238,000 miles is also on the trans,
rear end, and axles, so again, crap shoot. For that many miles, I expected a lot
more lash in the diff, there isn't. I got more clunk out of the SS one I put in, till I
spun it to oil the gears, then it was quiet. No noise at all from my original diff.

I had bad Cats too, then the replacements didn't work either. So, I now have
no cats...

Flap is also a known issue, so I don't go all the way cold, I stop 1/4" before the
blue dot.

I run 1200+ miles a week, so yeah, I am lucky to go an oil change interval without
servicing SOMETHING. I Also change the oil every six weeks with that kind of
mileage. I also add .5 quarts every week in between, that's how bad, and normal
the consumption is. Some weeks, almost a whole quart down, especially when I
go back to 5W30 in the winter.

I got the parts should you want to put the 2010 back on the road. They're going
to be tossed in the trash anyway. I don't need the axles or diff. If you drove
up here, you can HAVE them... Just gimme $25 bucks for the new seals...
I got UCA outer bushings too. If not, I could use the trans from yours, ha ha ha...
The solenoid pack on mine is acting up, it's not mechanical.

However, you saying it can sit and rot is just a little anger lettin' loose. Like I said,
I got the parts to fix yours...
Old 11-14-2021, 12:30 PM   #7
spyderbuddy

Well finally got back to the car
Driveshaft prefect
Halfshaft in great shape
Rear Diff Toasted
Old 11-14-2021, 12:34 PM   #8
spyderbuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanRubin View Post
The 2010 Camaro V6 nickel and dimes me to death, but it's a work vehicle
for me. The later model G6 and that 2015 Caddy will all be updated, so yeah,
they're more reliable engine wise. I have 238,000 miles on my 2010 V6, so
it's a crap shoot. People don't know the issues with the LLT and let them get
too low on oil, which is a known problem. That 238,000 miles is also on the trans,
rear end, and axles, so again, crap shoot. For that many miles, I expected a lot
more lash in the diff, there isn't. I got more clunk out of the SS one I put in, till I
spun it to oil the gears, then it was quiet. No noise at all from my original diff.

I had bad Cats too, then the replacements didn't work either. So, I now have
no cats...

Flap is also a known issue, so I don't go all the way cold, I stop 1/4" before the
blue dot.

I run 1200+ miles a week, so yeah, I am lucky to go an oil change interval without
servicing SOMETHING. I Also change the oil every six weeks with that kind of
mileage. I also add .5 quarts every week in between, that's how bad, and normal
the consumption is. Some weeks, almost a whole quart down, especially when I
go back to 5W30 in the winter.

I got the parts should you want to put the 2010 back on the road. They're going
to be tossed in the trash anyway. I don't need the axles or diff. If you drove
up here, you can HAVE them... Just gimme $25 bucks for the new seals...
I got UCA outer bushings too. If not, I could use the trans from yours, ha ha ha...
The solenoid pack on mine is acting up, it's not mechanical.

However, you saying it can sit and rot is just a little anger lettin' loose. Like I said,
I got the parts to fix yours...
Please Help Me

Where you At
Old 11-14-2021, 01:10 PM   #9
spyderbuddy

thanks for the Kind words, It just Sucks
My engine was not an oil problem, But a Head gasket
The Shop I dealt With replaced the Thermostat 2 Months prior to the Head Gasket (passenger Side) Blowing, so now I have to get a New Engine 1 year later passenger side Cats go bad.

I said No, Went to BBK Got Headers and Green Cats, Trifecta Reinstalled the tune (No Charge) Car was running Fantastic

Now A bad Rear end
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2021, 05:03 PM   #10
spyderbuddy

So if i get a SS compete Rear sub assembly, I will need a Back half of the SS drive Shaft.
Can I still use My Brakes form The v6?
Old 10-30-2022, 08:29 AM   #11
spyderbuddy

Back on the Road Again
rear Diff was Destroyed
Attached Images