Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-06-2018, 02:32 PM   #5475
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
https://www3.forbes.com/business/11-...-used-cars/11/

Cadillac was give 1st and 2nd place for most depreciation after three years...Makes a high sticker price hard to justify....just sayin'...
Also up there:

8th Infiniti Q50 (46.9%)
7th BMW 3 Series (46.9%)
5th BMW 5 Series (48.0%)
4th Mercedes C Class (48.3%)
3rd Mercedes E Class (48.4%)

The ATS was 50.4% with the CTS at 51.4.

So even though its not great to be the worst at something, they aren't too far off from their target competitors either.

There is something else to take note of as well:

Forbes listed the average used price for the various models. With the 3 series, the average selling price was $24,281 compared to $21,173 on the ATS. Working backwards from that and using the depreciation rate, wan can see that the 3 series originally cost $52,923 on average vs $42,010 on the ATS. Which means that the BMW lost $28,642. Meanwhile, the Cadillac taking that huge 50+% hit lost ... $20,837. At a quick glance, I think it works out similarly with the C class; as well as the 5 series & E class vs CTS.

So yes it is a higher dropoff rate on the Cadillacs. But you are losing more money with the Germans. And I would hope that anyone who bases their car purchase on depreciation rates would do some grade school level math to determine what actually lets them keep more of their money.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:52 PM   #5476

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Also up there:

8th Infiniti Q50 (46.9%)
7th BMW 3 Series (46.9%)
5th BMW 5 Series (48.0%)
4th Mercedes C Class (48.3%)
3rd Mercedes E Class (48.4%)

The ATS was 50.4% with the CTS at 51.4.

So even though its not great to be the worst at something, they aren't too far off from their target competitors either.

There is something else to take note of as well:

Forbes listed the average used price for the various models. With the 3 series, the average selling price was $24,281 compared to $21,173 on the ATS. Working backwards from that and using the depreciation rate, wan can see that the 3 series originally cost $52,923 on average vs $42,010 on the ATS. Which means that the BMW lost $28,642. Meanwhile, the Cadillac taking that huge 50+% hit lost ... $20,837. At a quick glance, I think it works out similarly with the C class; as well as the 5 series & E class vs CTS.

So yes it is a higher dropoff rate on the Cadillacs. But you are losing more money with the Germans. And I would hope that anyone who bases their car purchase on depreciation rates would do some grade school level math to determine what actually lets them keep more of their money.

Yeah, a larger percentage of a smaller amount is less money for sure. But if you have your eye on one of these cars, it makes buying new a harder pill to swallow, I would think....

Maybe Martin could take another look soon at the Caddies he was interested in, but didn't pull the trigger because of the price....I would also guess that any maintenance required would be a much smaller expense for a used Cadillac than for any of the German cars....It just strikes me as odd that for such high priced cars...supposedly expensive due to quality and content, that they would fall that much in value that quickly...
Sort of takes away some of the "excitement" of seeing new models of Cadillac....Meh, just wait a few years...and buy one for what they are really "worth"...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:41 PM   #5477
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

I think luxury brands suffer higher depreciation rates than more mainstream models because there is more desire/pressure to 'show off' with them. And you can't really do that with a car thats a few years out of date.

You mentioned maintenance in your post too, which got me thinking that it may play a role in luxury depreciation too. Repairs are going to be more expensive than on a normal car, so people could be factoring that in when they buy it used.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 07-06-2018, 11:05 PM   #5478
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Yeah, a larger percentage of a smaller amount is less money for sure. But if you have your eye on one of these cars, it makes buying new a harder pill to swallow, I would think....

Maybe Martin could take another look soon at the Caddies he was interested in, but didn't pull the trigger because of the price....I would also guess that any maintenance required would be a much smaller expense for a used Cadillac than for any of the German cars....It just strikes me as odd that for such high priced cars...supposedly expensive due to quality and content, that they would fall that much in value that quickly...
Sort of takes away some of the "excitement" of seeing new models of Cadillac....Meh, just wait a few years...and buy one for what they are really "worth"...
I more than likely have an SRX coming my way when I return my Cruze at the end of its lease. Then I’ll be done buying cars for a while. Drive the Camaro when I want to, the SRX when I have to.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:29 AM   #5479
JhonnyGTR

Drives: La Macarena
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
So... Cadillac Escala Coupe?
JhonnyGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:07 PM   #5480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
I more than likely have an SRX coming my way when I return my Cruze at the end of its lease. Then I’ll be done buying cars for a while. Drive the Camaro when I want to, the SRX when I have to.

You mean the "XT5"...???....lol

http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/cadil...-cadillac-srx/
Old 07-09-2018, 05:55 AM   #5481
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
No. I meant SRX. My mom wants to use my discount to buy a new Terrain. To replace her 2012 SRX. Which has 17,000 miles on the clock. By the time I buy the SRX from her, my 2017 Camaro will have more miles on it than the 6 year old SRX.

I told her I’ll give her $500 more than the dealer offers her for trade-in. Of course, last time I made that offer, I had to renege. When she bought the SRX, the dealer offered her $9,500 for her HHR. With about 18k on the odometer. I told her to take it. I was expecting about $6,500. I’m prepared to go $20K for the SRX.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 07-09-2018, 09:19 AM   #5482
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
No. I meant SRX. My mom wants to use my discount to buy a new Terrain. To replace her 2012 SRX. Which has 17,000 miles on the clock. By the time I buy the SRX from her, my 2017 Camaro will have more miles on it than the 6 year old SRX.

I told her I’ll give her $500 more than the dealer offers her for trade-in. Of course, last time I made that offer, I had to renege. When she bought the SRX, the dealer offered her $9,500 for her HHR. With about 18k on the odometer. I told her to take it. I was expecting about $6,500. I’m prepared to go $20K for the SRX.
I think $500 over is a fair offer, after all you save her thousands with your discount.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:28 AM   #5483
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
I think $500 over is a fair offer, after all you save her thousands with your discount.
Yeah, but that’s not the issue. If they surprise me and go way over book value for her car I’ll tell her to take their offer if it’s over $20K. Just like with the HHR. They went WAAAAY over book value. When she bought the SRX, after my discount, a Cadillac promotion, plus the $9,500 they gave her for the HHR, she drove out spending around $25k all in for a $44k SRX.

Old 07-09-2018, 02:10 PM   #5484

Might be more to it than shows here, but 20K+ sounds pretty generous....For Mom, though, it can probably be never enough...lol...

https://www.kbb.com/cadillac/srx/201...&mileage=73401

The above is standard equipment....

Below I loaded it up, punched in 17K miles, etc....puts it around 20K!

https://www.kbb.com/cadillac/srx/201...tion=very-good

Last edited by 90503; 07-09-2018 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:01 PM   #5485
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Might be more to it than shows here, but 20K+ sounds pretty generous....For Mom, though, it can probably be never enough...lol...

https://www.kbb.com/cadillac/srx/201...&mileage=73401

The above is standard equipment....

Below I loaded it up, punched in 17K miles, etc....puts it around 20K!

https://www.kbb.com/cadillac/srx/201...tion=very-good
That’s how I came up with the pricing. That and well equipped 2012s with a lot more mileage are selling in the $20 - 22k range.

Old 07-09-2018, 05:44 PM   #5486
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Yeah, but that’s not the issue. If they surprise me and go way over book value for her car I’ll tell her to take their offer if it’s over $20K. Just like with the HHR. They went WAAAAY over book value. When she bought the SRX, after my discount, a Cadillac promotion, plus the $9,500 they gave her for the HHR, she drove out spending around $25k all in for a $44k SRX.
I don't disagree with you on any of it. Mom gets the best deal no matter what. It's you that may get less than ideal deal.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:16 PM   #5487
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...o-surface.html

Chinese-market 2nd generation Chevrolet Orlando.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:27 PM   #5488
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...o-surface.html

Chinese-market 2nd generation Chevrolet Orlando.
Still not sure why we got an HHR replacement up here while you folks didn't.

Camaro Fest sub-forum

Tags
fenwickhockey65, gm questions, questions