Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 09-20-2008, 02:40 PM   #43
2MA

Drives: 1985 Chevy Camaro
My Insurance is Rediculous!!

Yo maybe you guys can help me out here and see if i'm paying too much for insurance cause it seems most of you guys have it really easy. Ok, so I'm 19 and i'm driving an 04 Nissan Sentra (V4 1.8L) and I'm paying $1900 something (i know it's a little more) for every 6 months. I should have only one accident on my record right now, and I have two speeding tickets. I'm insured with Allstate right now and I'm insured under my parents. Hell there's no way i could do this on my own. Monthly it comes around to about $300 and just thinking that's a bit too much. So can you guys please help me out by giving me your opinion on this cause I really think it's too much and I don't want to pay a shit load when i get my Camaro.

-Thanks
2MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 04:36 PM   #44
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
When i was 21 i had an Iroc-Z., i was paying $1900 a year, full coverage. Then i got in a wreck.
$3400 a year!
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 04:38 PM   #45
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that Corvette was a luxury car therefore rates are lower. I have a hard time believing that as possible. Camaro Scotty can correct me if i'm wrong. I believe the VIN on all cars has one letter in it that says what type the vehicle is, (performance, utility, kiddy wagon etc.) Insurance companies rate vehicles accordingly.

Also being a all new vehicle, rates will most likely fluctuate a bit for the first year or two until they can establish average claim costs, crash testing and theft rate.

As for discounts for multiple policies, that can be big savings. A few years ago I had a '05 Duramax dually, 30 foot travel trailer and paid around $130/mo. I ask my agent about renters insurance. What a surprise, by adding renters my rate dropped to $100/mo and the renters was esentially free. Your agent should help you find ways to save. If they can write extra policies for you and you save, then you save and the also profit by writing an addidional policy. If your agent won't help, don't be afraid to shop around. Like car dealers, insurance agents will try to find you a deal so they can write your policy.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:22 PM   #46
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MA View Post
Yo maybe you guys can help me out here and see if i'm paying too much for insurance cause it seems most of you guys have it really easy. Ok, so I'm 19 and i'm driving an 04 Nissan Sentra (V4 1.8L) and I'm paying $1900 something (i know it's a little more) for every 6 months. I should have only one accident on my record right now, and I have two speeding tickets. I'm insured with Allstate right now and I'm insured under my parents. Hell there's no way i could do this on my own. Monthly it comes around to about $300 and just thinking that's a bit too much. So can you guys please help me out by giving me your opinion on this cause I really think it's too much and I don't want to pay a shit load when i get my Camaro.

-Thanks
When I was 19 I had a 1991 Camaro RS (V6). My insurance was over $3000 a year. And I had no tickets or accidents.

At 20 I purchased a new 1995 Cavalier Coupe. It was still over $2500 IIRC.

Until you turn 25 you're pretty much f***ed...

Getting older has it's benefits... At 28 I was paying 1/3 of the insurance price that I was paying at 18. If not less. (2 year old 1991 Camaro RS V6- $3400 a year vs. brand new 2002 Camaro Coupe V6- $1100.)
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 02:39 AM   #47
2MA

Insurance Rates are ridiculous

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllwynX View Post
When I was 19 I had a 1991 Camaro RS (V6). My insurance was over $3000 a year. And I had no tickets or accidents.

At 20 I purchased a new 1995 Cavalier Coupe. It was still over $2500 IIRC.

Until you turn 25 you're pretty much f***ed...

Getting older has it's benefits... At 28 I was paying 1/3 of the insurance price that I was paying at 18. If not less. (2 year old 1991 Camaro RS V6- $3400 a year vs. brand new 2002 Camaro Coupe V6- $1100.)
Thanks for helping me out. It's seriously *%$*ed up that insurance companies can charge us that much. And it sucks even more cause we're guys!!! Seriously my sisters get more tickets than me combined and they still don't have to pay as much as me. Seriously its like insurance companies were made by women that wanted to get back at men. There has got to be a better way to lower insurance rates. Really why the hell should I wait till i'm 25 to pay low insurance?
Old 09-21-2008, 11:52 AM   #48
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
Yeah. I was still paying over 2 grand when i was 30. I went with Progressive when i was 25. They said after two years they'd move me to a higher bracket. Never did. They are liars. They actually had the guts , when i quit them, to ask me to recommend them to people. I told them what i thought. I was about 30 years old, paying $223 a month. And to top it off i was only putting about 5-7 thousand miles a year on my car. Insurance companies=Evil.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 12:22 PM   #49
Chewy
My boredom isn't safe

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Chewy Send a message via MSN to Chewy
If anyone here is Military, i HIGHLY recommend USAA.

20 yrs old
540i BMW
10k+ miles a year

I pay $980/6 months

(w/ geico i was paying double)
Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 04:26 PM   #50
13F20

Drives: Soon to be 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
If anyone here is Military, i HIGHLY recommend USAA.

20 yrs old
540i BMW
10k+ miles a year

I pay $980/6 months

(w/ geico i was paying double)
Dude I am in the military and I had Geico while driving a 2007 Nissan 350Z and was paying $536.00 every 6 mo. Plus I am 29 yrs old. That is 91.00 every month full coverage. I don’t know who you spoke to at Geico. But for them to charge double the USAA price, your driving record might have some issues.
13F20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 04:49 PM   #51
Chewy
My boredom isn't safe

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Chewy Send a message via MSN to Chewy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13F20 View Post
Dude I am in the military and I had Geico while driving a 2007 Nissan 350Z and was paying $536.00 every 6 mo. Plus I am 29 yrs old. That is 91.00 every month full coverage. I don’t know who you spoke to at Geico. But for them to charge double the USAA price, your driving record might have some issues.
my driving record is near perfect (1 speeding ticket, which was after I was already insured w/ them)

i had Geico back in California and it was the cheapest i could find, but for some reason their avg prices are lot more expensive out here (florida)
Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 05:02 PM   #52
okernan6.2

Drives: 00 Silverado
I just did a quote with Progressive with full cov. on an 08 Rustang... one at fault accident and one not at fault... 1100/year, and I am 23 year old male.
okernan6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:53 PM   #53
13F20

Drives: Soon to be 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
my driving record is near perfect (1 speeding ticket, which was after I was already insured w/ them)

i had Geico back in California and it was the cheapest i could find, but for some reason their avg prices are lot more expensive out here (florida)
Quote:
Originally Posted by okernan6.2 View Post
I just did a quote with Progressive with full cov. on an 08 Rustang... one at fault accident and one not at fault... 1100/year, and I am 23 year old male.
Chewy: Florida is the problem. I live in Ga. FL will always have higher inshurance rates for cars like that.

okernan6.2: dude how did you pull $91.67 per month? also I thought insurance companies only did 6mo policies, not one year policies. Not hating on you just a little confused here. Normally under 25 year old males have higher insurance rates that 25 and older. Now you are 23 yrs old and requesting full coverage on a 2008 mustang. Getting that rate at $91.67 per month. I am 29 years old and had full coverage on a 2007 Nissan 350Z paying $91.00 per month coming to $516.00 for 6 mo. Now how does that happen? Insurance rates get cheaper the older you get not higher.
13F20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:14 PM   #54
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13F20 View Post
also I thought insurance companies only did 6mo policies, not one year policies. Not hating on you just a little confused here.
I believe the majority of Insurance Companies have switched to 6 month policies (now they can raise your insurace twice a year instead of once).

There are a few that still do yearly.

Mine does yearly policies, takes 10% off when you renew, as well as pays a small Dividend at the end of every year (somewhere around $50-$100 usually).

I have NJ Manufactures. It's a state owned/run insurance that is only available to A- State Employees and B- Employees of a non-state company that has an account with NJM. My mother isn't a state employee, but her employer has an account so she also has NJM.

Anyone that lives in NJ should check with their employer to find out if they are eligible. No other company, in NJ, is going to beat their rates if you have a good driving record.

Their rules are slightly more strict when first joining them. You must have had your license for at least 3 years. As well as anyone else living in your home. If you've had ANY tickets in the last 3 years they will not insure you.

After you are covered by them a ticket isn't as big a deal. I got a speeding ticket a few years ago and it never had any impact. Only if you get a certain # of points will they refuse to keep insuring you.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:28 PM   #55
2MA

Making Insuance Companies Fair!!!!

Alright people we have got to something about the insurance companies ripping us off. First of all men shouldn't pay more just because they're men, and i'm not saying that women should pay more than men either. I've got nothing against women or their driving but I seriously believe that men and women should be equal when it comes to insurance rates. Its true that in the past that there were more men than women that got into accidents, speeding tickets, both speeding and accidents, but that was the past. Folks I live in Arizona and you know what they have in Arizona...... a shit load of camera's everywhere. Now I'm not sure about other states arizona actually has cameras on the freeway. Now before it was just a certain area on the freeway, but now as they're expanding it by putting in a carpool lane they're putting cameras everywhere on the 101. Combine those cameras on the freeway and all the ones on streets and that equals a huge shit load of just speeding tickets. Now you're probably thinking why I'm even mentioning this and I'm about to explain it soon. With all these speeding tickets, the people are gonna have to pay for them and all that money pretty much goes to the state government. Now like I said before, this is all just from speeding tickets from cameras. Now we add the speeding tickets from getting pulled over (there's also tickets from drinking or from doing drugs but you shouldn't even be doing those things while you're driving anyway so i'm not counting those) and the tickets from accidents and what we get is an enormous amount of tickets which is an enormous amount of money for the state. Now here's my point. Chances are that other states are going to see what Arizona's doing they'll want to do the same and get some money out of it as well (probably not for a couple of years but they'll do it eventually). So in the end everyone's insurance rates are going to go up big time, and if the insurance companies don't make things fair its the men that are going to suffer the consequences only.
Insurance companies may think that men are more reckless drivers than women but they're not. They're the same (at least they are now).

WE NEED TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE UNFAIR TREATMENT MEN ARE GETTING FROM THE INSURANCE COMPANIES BEFORE ITS TOO LATE AND IT GETS WORSE BEYOND BELIEF!!!!!

Now i'll admit mentioning the whole situation in arizona and its cameras may have been a little dumb but i was trying to give an example of what could possibly happen and how men will be suffering. Please tell me of what you all think. Do you believe that men should pay equally as women, or do you think that it should stay the same as it is right now with women paying a lot less then men? And If men should pay the same as women, what do you think people should do to change that?
Old 09-21-2008, 09:19 PM   #56
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Once upon a time when I was about 18-21ish the cheapest insurance I could get, $325 a month, liability only!!! That was through progressive. I had 1 speeding ticket, 1 careless driving (for burning out :P), and 1 street racing on the highway, at that time. Needless to say, I dont do any of those anymore. I got tired of giving my money away to the state, and the insurance companies...

Fast forward to current time. I'm 23 years old, male, single, currently have a clean driving record. I pay $800 a year for my 04 GTO, 100k/300k coverag, $500 deductables. $177 a year for liability 100k/300k on my daily driver 82 Datsun Maxima. I'm using Wawanesa for my insurance company. Typically, what any other insurance place quotes me for 6 months, I pay that price for a FULL YEAR with Wawanesa. I was quoted between $800-900 for 6 months at other places for the GTO... I dont think insurance will be too bad for me on the new Camaro.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote