Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 12-19-2008, 08:43 AM   #113
Belo

Drives: 98 Heavily Modded Pontiac GTP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flighttester View Post
Gotta have GPS. It makes long drives much more enjoyable.

I will probably junk the goofy Onstar junk asap, I'll probably also mod the center panel to take a good aftermarket GPS nav/radio system. I've got a Pioneer AVIC D-3 in my '00 MX-5/Miata and I have the factory MMS media/nav in my '08 Audi. I'm too used to having it to not want a non-hang-on model in any new car I buy from here on. It really don't cost that much to opdate the data base every three years or so. I only did it once in the six years I owned my previous Jaguar.

On initial review, it looks like maybe a double DIN radio with touch screen might fit in the center panel with some careful changes to only a few things.

That part's not too good looking as it is so it could use some improvement anyway.

Don't need/won't pay for Sat radio in any case.

I hope we figure out a way to get rid of the stock unit. I know the G8 guys still haven't figured it out and we're almost to the anniversary.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:14 AM   #114
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
This is just as good...

KITT GPS
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 03:12 PM   #115
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
what if (remember, IF) . . . turn by turn arrows were included in the HUD?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 05:17 PM   #116
Shurenuff

Drives: 2002 Nissan Altima
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
what if (remember, IF) . . . turn by turn arrows were included in the HUD?
I've really got my fingers crossed for a simple system that is integrated into the HUD when that's available.
Shurenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:58 PM   #117
edog

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM
OK, I work for Sprint! If you live in a area where Sprint service is strong you can go for this low cost alternative...

Go out, buy a good Sprint phone with a good data plan (you get what you pay for). All current Sprint phones use TELENAV, which is a web based turn by turn Navigation software that does not cost anything to keep updated. Place it in a clip and plug it into the aux jack or pair it with blue-tooth. You now have a navigation system with turn by turn directions, which plays through your stereo. This is what I currently use for my car and what I will use in the Camaro. It works great! Also, the phone goes with you, so less chances someone is breaking in to the car to jack your NAV system.

Now, before we get into feelings of your cell carrier, just know we are talking alternatives to a product GM has felt to omit from the Camaro. Not interested in getting into personal feelings about anyones thoughts on their carrier or MINE...
Update...Build in process, Forged Rods, Pistons and rings, Johnson Lifters, NOVI1500 ECS SC, 13lb boost or more, LS3 Conversion 114/228/241 COMP CAM, Frostbite 4 row Aluminum radiator, 6L80 built, Circle D 6L80 PRO SERIES MULTI 258MM 2D, Stock 3.45 gears, 1-7/8 American Racing Headers w/HF cat, X-Pipe, Lingenfelter dual fuel pump, E-85 flex sensor, ATI super damper pulley, Ported TB, 160 therm, Trans cooler, Pedder's sways/end links/sub frame bushings, BMR trailing arms & toe rods, Coil overs. HP/TQ pending
edog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 12:12 PM   #118
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Drives: 2009 Escape/2007 Ridgeline
Quote:
Originally Posted by edog View Post
OK, I work for Sprint! If you live in a area where Sprint service is strong you can go for this low cost alternative...

Go out, buy a good Sprint phone with a good data plan (you get what you pay for). All current Sprint phones use TELENAV, which is a web based turn by turn Navigation software that does not cost anything to keep updated. Place it in a clip and plug it into the aux jack or pair it with blue-tooth. You now have a navigation system with turn by turn directions, which plays through your stereo. This is what I currently use for my car and what I will use in the Camaro. It works great! Also, the phone goes with you, so less chances someone is breaking in to the car to jack your NAV system.

Now, before we get into feelings of your cell carrier, just know we are talking alternatives to a product GM has felt to omit from the Camaro. Not interested in getting into personal feelings about anyones thoughts on their carrier or MINE...
Which Sprint phone comes with an 7"-8" touchscreen?
Old 12-20-2008, 11:08 PM   #119
edog

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM
The instinct or the touch pro/Diamond series have 2.8" to 3". Sorry, no 7 to 8

To me, I have been doing this so long it is very viewable. I never have an issue seeing what route needs to be taken, plus it is full audio. Just an inexpensive alternative for those spending the money already for a service.
Update...Build in process, Forged Rods, Pistons and rings, Johnson Lifters, NOVI1500 ECS SC, 13lb boost or more, LS3 Conversion 114/228/241 COMP CAM, Frostbite 4 row Aluminum radiator, 6L80 built, Circle D 6L80 PRO SERIES MULTI 258MM 2D, Stock 3.45 gears, 1-7/8 American Racing Headers w/HF cat, X-Pipe, Lingenfelter dual fuel pump, E-85 flex sensor, ATI super damper pulley, Ported TB, 160 therm, Trans cooler, Pedder's sways/end links/sub frame bushings, BMR trailing arms & toe rods, Coil overs. HP/TQ pending
edog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 11:27 PM   #120
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
I presently use the the sprint telnav on my blackberry and LOVE it. screen is good size and the turn by turn voice is just fine. I won't miss the NAV.

-bobby
bobby35ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:39 AM   #121
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edog View Post
The instinct or the touch pro/Diamond series have 2.8" to 3". Sorry, no 7 to 8

To me, I have been doing this so long it is very viewable. I never have an issue seeing what route needs to be taken, plus it is full audio. Just an inexpensive alternative for those spending the money already for a service.
Yea but a 7"-8" screen is even more viewable. Much more in fact. I think people are just blinded by the price so they don't see anything else. Yet a Supercharger that cost more than this option is reasonable.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:29 PM   #122
josh1147
Delivered 29June09

Drives: Early Order Camaro
I bought an 2007 Avy and it came with my first NAV disk AND I just got a second one for FREE.....I'm guessing that any updates after this will cost me....I don't expect GM to give it away for free....but $199 is pretty steep.

Me thinks this is a high-profit item for them......
josh1147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 02:18 PM   #123
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

The only way a navigation disk steep price would be an issue is if you had to buy a new one every year. So far I only drove through one or two areas in the past 2 1/2 years that had incomplete map date. In both cases I just kept on driving and after 5-20 minutes it was back on track. I see no reason why a navigation disk couldn't easily last you 5 years.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:46 PM   #124
Eich

Drives: '11 SW/Beige 2SS RS Manual
For me, it's not even that big of a deal that there's no nav option. My main issue is just with how odd the center stack radio/HVAC area looks - like someone went out of their way to do something strange.

I don't like the outdated looking flourescent display these Chevy radios use.
I don't like the shape of the whole head unit
I don't like the gimmicky, playstation-like HVAC controls
I don't like the lack of an electronic HVAC
I don't like that there's no way to nicely fit in an aftermarket double-dinn anything

It's a shame. Because the exterior is perfect. I would've preferred an interior - especially an important section like this - that was less gimicky and more professional, that appealed to a wider group.

Put the Malibu interior in this car and I'd be all over it.
Eich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:36 PM   #125
Flighttester

Drives: 2008 Audi A4 3.2 MT S Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belo View Post
I hope we figure out a way to get rid of the stock unit. I know the G8 guys still haven't figured it out and we're almost to the anniversary.
If it can't be done.

I won't buy the car.

Simple enough.

Why the antique, rather ugly interior to go with the fairly contemporary exterior, only GM apparently knows.

Maybe they'll get it right before the cancel it.

Probably, if it's done like most of GM's 'new' models, they'll finally realize the problem offer it right before the cancel the whole line (again).
Flighttester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:44 PM   #126
Flighttester

Drives: 2008 Audi A4 3.2 MT S Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA FAST View Post
The only way a navigation disk steep price would be an issue is if you had to buy a new one every year. So far I only drove through one or two areas in the past 2 1/2 years that had incomplete map date. In both cases I just kept on driving and after 5-20 minutes it was back on track. I see no reason why a navigation disk couldn't easily last you 5 years.
It can last as long as you want it to last.

If you are driving frequently in areas where they are constantly building new highways and other roads, you might want to keep it a little more current but, even if you don't over 99% of the roads are going to be there already anway.
Flighttester is offline   Reply With Quote