Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 06-01-2011, 02:48 PM   #85
anthonyj9h
"First There"

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
I seafoamed the fuel this morning. So Now I'm gonna make a list. And do them in order of what makes sense.

Of everything I have so far, I think a few things can be done right away. And then take it to a shop for a smoke test. If the blower has to be pulled, I'll be the one pulling it. Saves on cost.

id really like a better pic of your plugs too there is one that looks fishy to me so if you wouldnt mind.....the only reason id suggest dealer is the software they have can really get deep into it and i dunno if its accessible by us

it is written......
anthonyj9h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:59 PM   #86
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: Challenger Hellcat, 2SS Camaro
If a dealer does hook up their system to check software be careful.

My buddy took his supercharged Challenger to the dealer for an oil change. He told them DO NOT flash upgrade the ECM as it is a supercharged car with a custom tune.

Well, the tech as part of his normal process, hooks up and flashes the computer to the latest CALID (small incremental updates that likely do nothing).

Well, now his car wouldn't start and since the CALID was updated to a later revision, he couldn't flash his custom tune back in to the car. Took a couple days for his tuner to get it sorted out. The tuner had to go in and edit his custom tune and update the CALID to the latest one the dealer used. Then he had to figure out how to make the Predator disassociate from the car since the stock tune no longer matched what it expected to see. It was a massive headache.

Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:10 PM   #87
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyj9h View Post
id really like a better pic of your plugs too there is one that looks fishy to me so if you wouldnt mind.....the only reason id suggest dealer is the software they have can really get deep into it and i dunno if its accessible by us
I'll get some pics in the sun. But the car is identical with new plugs in it entirely. And gapped narrower. I have them gapped at .35 instead of the stock ones that were gapped at .39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy1975 View Post
If a dealer does hook up their system to check software be careful.

My buddy took his supercharged Challenger to the dealer for an oil change. He told them DO NOT flash upgrade the ECM as it is a supercharged car with a custom tune.

Well, the tech as part of his normal process, hooks up and flashes the computer to the latest CALID (small incremental updates that likely do nothing).

Well, now his car wouldn't start and since the CALID was updated to a later revision, he couldn't flash his custom tune back in to the car. Took a couple days for his tuner to get it sorted out. The tuner had to go in and edit his custom tune and update the CALID to the latest one the dealer used. Then he had to figure out how to make the Predator disassociate from the car since the stock tune no longer matched what it expected to see. It was a massive headache.
Ouch. That sucks. This is exactly what sucks about having to drive 5 to 7 hours to tune my car.

And why I want my tune on my SCT. Even if the dealer or someone were to flash the computer at least I'd be able to put my tune back in. I thought about putting my own connector on it. Cut the OBDII off behind the connector and put a different one behind it. So I use THAT one to plug in instead. that way they can't plug in to it.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:13 PM   #88
anthonyj9h
"First There"

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss
LMAO! thats diabolical right there....well show both old and new they do tell a story alot of times

it is written......
anthonyj9h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:57 PM   #89
Sack Rat 2SS

Drives: Silver SS/RS, Man 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HufferSS View Post
What are your fuel trims doing? Are they showing a vacuum leak?
I think HufferSS is on to something. If you have a vacuum leak your fuel trims will be out of limits. As you slow to a stop your car may want to surge before you totally stop. Fuel trims are easy to read if you have someone with a scanner. Hang in there.
Sack Rat 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:05 PM   #90
Chris@HPS

Drives: 2005corvette
[QUOTE=PQ;3288156]While I do agree with you, and Mike said in an e-mail he could fix it with the tune ..... all we agreed was that he'd tune it. I assumed it would take care of it just like Mike did. We were wrong. Not their fault that I have a problem outside of tuning. It really really sucks. But Mike just said he could fix it. We never agreed he would. Just that I'd get the tune and HOPE it would. If I could go back and do it differently, I would. I'd have used that 600.00 to find the problem. But there was no way to know. So I am not justified, imo to jump on Vengeance. I thought about it. I was on the fence. But I'm not a mechanic or tuner. So all I could do is try one. If that wasn't it, then continue on. I gambled wrong. So I'll have to try this. If I can't fix it, I'll bring it to you. I'm just tired of throwing money at it and not getting it fixed. I know you gave me the gaurantee, but if I can fix it without spending too much, I'd prefer that.

Ok, my offer still stands, and we are a little closer to you. If you any questions call me.

Chris
Chris@HPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:14 PM   #91
JLE58

Drives: CGM,twin turbo, cam 2010 SS/RS
Hey Pq, Yeah chris@hps was who i was going to tell you to go see. If you cant figure this thing out it would be well worth it to take it to Chris. Ive been to alot of different shops since ls1's were cool and chris is top notch.
JLE58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:23 PM   #92
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sack Rat 2SS View Post
I think HufferSS is on to something. If you have a vacuum leak your fuel trims will be out of limits. As you slow to a stop your car may want to surge before you totally stop. Fuel trims are easy to read if you have someone with a scanner. Hang in there.
Gah...... I left my tuner at Vengeance. I just trust that Mike knew what I needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLE58 View Post
Hey Pq, Yeah chris@hps was who i was going to tell you to go see. If you cant figure this thing out it would be well worth it to take it to Chris. Ive been to alot of different shops since ls1's were cool and chris is top notch.
Good to know. Thank you.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:11 PM   #93
Hess Motorsports
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 SS with WAY TOO MANY MODS
Hey PQ, I'm just gonna throw our 2 cents in...

We use our smoke tester a ton on vehicles brought in for rough tunes. We have seen the smallest leaks in vacuum hard lines and even something recently like the base injector o-rings. From the images of the plugs I'd say there is one for sure that looks a bit lean as well. You're more than welcome to shoot us a call to discuss your tune, your air leak, or anything else. Advice is always free.
Hess Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:12 PM   #94
flyby

Drives: 2010 Silver SS
If you use a smoke machine on the intake (supercharger) the leak if any will be apparent.
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:19 PM   #95
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hess Motorsports View Post
Hey PQ, I'm just gonna throw our 2 cents in...

We use our smoke tester a ton on vehicles brought in for rough tunes. We have seen the smallest leaks in vacuum hard lines and even something recently like the base injector o-rings. From the images of the plugs I'd say there is one for sure that looks a bit lean as well. You're more than welcome to shoot us a call to discuss your tune, your air leak, or anything else. Advice is always free.
I'm still narrowing down that issue I told you about. Getting really irritating. I have a lot of troubleshooting to do. What was that other dyno you told me about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyby View Post
If you use a smoke machine on the intake (supercharger) the leak if any will be apparent.
I wonder if I can duplicate this? Or get a smoke machine?
Old 06-01-2011, 07:48 PM   #96
flyby

Drives: 2010 Silver SS
Smoke machine should be available at any performance shop. Traced down two leaks in my exhaust and one in my meth tank. I have also seen it find leaks in vacuum of a 2010 Camaro a few weeks ago. If you have a leak, smoke WILL find it.
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:50 PM   #97
PQ
Booooosted.

How is it introduced?
Old 06-01-2011, 08:10 PM   #98
WadeWilson
How U Doin?

Drives: 2014 CTS-V Coupe
Hope you get this straightened out bud. Remind me to never stand near you if there's a chance of a thunderstorm. With your luck lightning would strike us.
WadeWilson is offline   Reply With Quote