Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 11-10-2011, 07:07 PM   #43
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
Crossover-suv market, meaning the traverse, equinox, and the gmc offerings. I didn't include (or mean to) the full sized suvs. Toyota, Honda, Hyundai, and perhaps Nissan are selling more volume of crossover vehicles combined than GM. Toyota, by themselves, sold roughly 266,000 crossover vehicles (2010) vs. chevy's figure of roughly 256,700. Chevy's number sounds ok, but you have to factor other players such as Honda, Hyundai, Nissan, Kia, and one or two higher end foreign makers. This is the area IMO where Chevy and GM are missing sales. Kia, Hyundai, Toyota (if you include Scion) and Honda seem to have a wider variety of crossover vehicles as well.

The Durango may be classified as a crossover due to its re-design, but the Jeep hasn't changed its platform; Jeep Grand Cherokee has had its unitized body frame for awhile, yet sold its units as midsized suv's. Chevy and GM no longer have body types that classify as mid sized suv's. Its in this area that GM is clearly missing sales to the Jeep.
Sure, in 2010 Chevy itself sold 156k crossovers, but there is also the matter of the 235k crossovers sold by GM's 3 other brands last year too. That makes for over 390k crossover sales by GM in the US last year. And thats not including the HHR (75k) and Avalanche (20k) which are technically crossovers since they don't fit into any specific category, but aren't really what you'd traditionally think of when you mention the word 'crossover'

Point is, while they may not have every niche filled with their crossover offerings, they still sell more of the wretched things than anybody else.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:21 PM   #44
syr74
Account Suspended

Drives: Thunderbird
I like it.
syr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:01 PM   #45
IBM

Drives: '11 2LT/RS IBM
I'm just glad the U.S doesn't have the Orlando, it's hideous.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:38 PM   #46
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy Doo View Post
I just don't see the reasoning in making the Equinox, trailblazer and the traverse. I can see keeping the Equinox and then adding this and dropping the traverse, or dropping the current traverse and naming this the traverse.

Equinox, Trailblazer, Traverse, Tahoe, Suburban..... That's a lot of SUV's for 1 brand. Add in the Enclave, Acadia, Terrain, Yukon, Yukon XL, Escalade, Escalade XL.... That's a ton of different SUVS.......
Its despite the fact that it has 7 seats, its a midsize SUV. The Equinox is a compact crossover, so its one size smaller with a lot less overall capability as a working vehicle. The Tahoe & Suburban are fullsize SUVs, larger and more capable than the Trailblazer. The Traverse is a large crossover, more space, probably equal in towing but probably not equal off road. The real only overlap that I see in the Chevy lineup is Tahoe & Suburban.

If it were up to me though, I'd get rid of the Suburban we know, but use the name on the Tahoe, killing off that name plate. Then, I'd get rid of the Yukon and leave the Yukon XL, but drop the 'XL'. So GMC gets the biggest SUV in the GM lineup, Chevy keeps the Suburban name. Then, I wouldn't bring back the Trailblazer. I'd bring back the Jimmy by itself. That gives GMC a midsize and fullsize+ SUV and gets rid of some of the interbrand competetion between GMC and Chevy. Buick and Cadillac are able to differentiate themselves enough from Chevy and GMC that I don't think its a problem when they have models.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 11-10-2011, 10:58 PM   #47
syr74
Account Suspended

Drives: Thunderbird
I think GM would seriously benefit if they were to create a drastic difference in styling between truck-based SUV's and crossovers. Even more, they could use the Chevy and GMC brands to that end if they were so inclined. Chevy could move to a 100% crossover-based SUV lineup (with the possible exception of a Blazer revival) while GMC could market all the truck-based SUV's. The faithful might cringe at the thought of a Lambda-based Suburban, but to be honest I'll bet GM would sell the Hell out of it if it looked good. Just my two cents.
syr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:36 PM   #48
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy/2007 Ford F-150
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Equinox is being downsized for the next-gen. Right now it straddles the line between a compact CUV and a midsize CUV. That leaves room for TrailBlazer (IF the NA market receives it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
Toyota, Honda, Hyundai, and perhaps Nissan are selling more volume of crossover vehicles combined than GM. Toyota, by themselves, sold roughly 266,000 crossover vehicles (2010) vs. chevy's figure of roughly 256,700.
This has to be one of the most unfounded points ever expressed on this site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comiskeybum2 View Post
And seriously? The lambda's compete with Explorer and Durango? HMMM, NO WONDER Durango's and Explorers are selling like hot cakes.
Durango? Hotcakes is not the word I would use to describe its sales performance.

2003 GMC Envoy SLE - Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Performance Catback Exhaust
2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:11 AM   #49
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Just want to hear the price...
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:21 AM   #50
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Equinox is being downsized for the next-gen. Right now it straddles the line between a compact CUV and a midsize CUV. That leaves room for TrailBlazer (IF the NA market receives it).

Durango? Hotcakes is not the word I would use to describe its sales performance.
Fenstick ... you should know by now that when I see a triple post, it gets merged.

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 11-11-2011, 01:15 AM   #51
damiiaaannn

Drives: Range Rover Supercharged, TSX
I think it looks like the new 2012 Mercedes ML
Old 11-11-2011, 10:19 AM   #52
Rocks RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
I miss this:

Sporting MRT V1, Hurst short throw, and Injen long tube and loving it!!!

Also, over 125,000 miles and going.
Rocks RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:32 AM   #53
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
$100 says the manual trans never makes it to the US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocks RS View Post
I miss this:

Old 11-11-2011, 11:36 AM   #54
shank0668

Drives: '00 WS6/'06 LJ/'76 Trans Am
Send a message via AIM to shank0668
I miss this.
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:17 AM   #55
Comiskeybum2
Account Suspended

Drives: Equinoz
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post

Dude, have you seen the sales numbers for Durango and Explorer? They are having a hard time keeping them on the lot!!

And your not going to sit there and try to tell me you dont think the new Durango is a very nice vehicle.

I personally think it would be a HUGE HUGE mistake to downsize Equinox and abandon the established market. Equinox has sold so many that its seeing repeat buyers from one generation to the current model. For example, my grandma had a 2005 Equinox. She put a lot of miles on it and wanted to get a new vehicle, i asked her what she wanted, "oh ill just get the new Equinox, i love them, THEY ARE THE PERFECT SIZE."

Wont be the perfect size if you downsize it to something like an Outback or smaller.
Comiskeybum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:27 AM   #56
SlowSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
I wonder if they will make an SS version like they did 2006-2009.

I miss my Trailblazer SS bad! Haha
SlowSS is offline   Reply With Quote