Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 09-01-2014, 11:36 AM   #15
habunow1

Drives: 2010 Yellow 2SS, 2011 CG 1LT IPF SC
My wife came out to help me wash and clean her Camaro after I was done with mine. This is the first time she ever offered to help and she did think she knew how the procedure went. About ten minutes into the process I could see as I would explain how to do things, her getting frustrated about how envolved the process was. Twenty minutes into the process she disappeared and came out when it was done saying how nice the car looked. I do not believe she will ever offer help in the future even thought she loves her car clean.
habunow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:38 AM   #16
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.Duncan View Post
Okay so my wife seems to think I take it a little over board so I was going to see what everyone on C5 thought. I detail my Camaro myself 1 time a week and/or I detail my Camaro myself anytime she goes through rain and dirt. I just thought it was normal to baby such a large investment. I think she's coming around to it a little bit but will never admit she likes it better cleaned. Lol

Wait... You take it out in the rain?
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:56 AM   #17
Josh.Duncan

Drives: 2014 1LT/RS Camaro; 2012 VW Jetta
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickwithaustin View Post
Here in Oklahoma you never know what the weather will be like lol so It has been in rain :(
MRT V1.0 Axle-Back Exhaust
BMR Strut Tower Brace
LG Motorsports ZR28 Black Wheels
Josh.Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:25 PM   #18
BEEotcch

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.Duncan View Post
Here in Oklahoma you never know what the weather will be like lol so It has been in rain :(

What's wrong with rain? lol Mine is my DD. I drive it in anything. It was built to be driven!
Old 09-01-2014, 02:30 PM   #19
JasonsEpicLife

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
Actually, I read somewhere in the manual that these cars needed to be cleaned often...or maybe that was in my head either way I clean mine at least once a week!! My partner actually will say your car is dirty and needs to be cleaned in between washes he refuses to ride in a dirty car!!
JasonsEpicLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:45 PM   #20
qkslvr

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS M6 NON RS
I don't clean mine near as often as I should, usually due to time LOL rather be driving then cleaning. But I usually wash and detail at least once every other week.

Wifes' truck on the other hand is HER truck... Silverado LTZ Z71

I make a deal with her when we purchase vehicles. She will; #1 wash regularly (not just run it through a car wash) #2 keep interior clean #3 hand wax at least once a year.

It took her awhile to get used to it, but told her if she wants a nice vehicle she needs to take care of it.

She is pretty good about it. and even helps clean the SS and the TA. so in turn I do help her as well.
2016 Streetglide (Crushed Ice Pearl)
2018 Indian Scout (Bronze Smoke)
qkslvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:39 PM   #21
Demon War Horse
War Horse Pilot

Drives: 2017 NFG 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsEpicLife View Post
Actually, I read somewhere in the manual that these cars needed to be cleaned often...or maybe that was in my head either way I clean mine at least once a week!! My partner actually will say your car is dirty and needs to be cleaned in between washes he refuses to ride in a dirty car!!
That is awesome!

SigPic by Hazman
Demon War Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:56 PM   #22
jamesm77

Drives: 2011 2LT Convertible - Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickwithaustin View Post

Rain, snow, ice, whatever else happens to be falling. Only the one car and I need to get to work.

It's actually been one of the best winter cars I've ever had, just slap some all-seasons on in November and put the good wheels back in April or May.
jamesm77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 09:25 PM   #23
CoupeSS

Drives: 2013 Coupe 2SS/RS
NORMAL.....my wife asked the same question, "why do you wash the Camaro once a week and all it does is sit in the garage, and you never wash my VW CC which sits outside.......answer is........cuz you don't care and I do!!! My Camaro sits in my garage next to my clean F350 and my clean Harley's......my daily driver sits outside...but I just run it through the car wash at gas station every few weeks so I can see through the windows...I told her she should try the gas station car wash every once in awhile!
CoupeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 09:45 PM   #24
CruisingSpeed
The Stealth Bumblebee

Drives: Black 2013 2LS
By detail you mean remove every spec of bug juice before you hand wash. Then do a 2 bucket wash. Wash body panel by body panel. Get all in the cracks of the rims, scrub the tires. Blow dry then chamois. Open the doors, trunk, and hood to chamois water spots off. Wash what you may have missed and repeat steps over. Then apply tire shine by masking off paint areas. And wheel shine. Then wipe calipers with shop towels, not regular white ones because they lint everywhere, then dry with paper towels. And wipe off brake dust from painted calipers or covers every 2 days or so then...

You are beyond crazy, your CAR CRAZY!!! Just like 98.7% of the people on this forum. The best type of crazy. Why you ask? Well because you have the nicest looking car on the block. Sure Porsches, Ferraris, or BMWs can look nice. But a little care can make a 2001 prius look like a diamond! - not really but you get the point. oh yeah and it's easier to wash cars that aren't coated in filth like outdoor stored vehicles!
Old 09-14-2014, 09:59 PM   #25
Josh.Duncan

Drives: 2014 1LT/RS Camaro; 2012 VW Jetta
Right now mine is stored outdoor BUT I'm getting an outdoor car cover for when it's not being driven.

2014 Red Hot 1LT/RS Coupe
MRT V1.0 Axle-Back Exhaust
BMR Strut Tower Brace
LG Motorsports ZR28 Black Wheels
Josh.Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 10:06 PM   #26
aurora

Drives: 2015 Black ZL1; 2012 Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingSpeed View Post
By detail you mean remove every spec of bug juice before you hand wash. Then do a 2 bucket wash. Wash body panel by body panel. Get all in the cracks of the rims, scrub the tires. Blow dry then chamois. Open the doors, trunk, and hood to chamois water spots off. Wash what you may have missed and repeat steps over. Then apply tire shine by masking off paint areas. And wheel shine. Then wipe calipers with shop towels, not regular white ones because they lint everywhere, then dry with paper towels. And wipe off brake dust from painted calipers or covers every 2 days or so then...
WOW! I think I need to take lessons from you. I don't want to cause alarm by saying this...but I was skipping the wheels most of the time! I was still planning 'how to do it' but you left some excellent tips here.
aurora is offline   Reply With Quote