#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-27-2017, 09:37 AM   #309
762CAT

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramard View Post
I wouldn't say that's true. Current Z/28 is the same class of car as a gt4, gt3 or 997 gt3 rs at 1/2 to 1/3 the price. Chris Harris compared to a 997 gt3 Rs, MotorTrend compared to a 991 gt3. MotorTrend concluded you could have a z/28, truck, trailer, fees and tires for the price of an as tested gt3.

In reality, I could have gotten a gt4 or gt3 but was absolutely unwilling to take on that kind of "asset". I love what Chevy is doing. They took a German car guy (me) and made me appreciate a budget performance car. My z/28 has just been amazing on track and you can bet my interest in a gt4 just fell flat on its face for a ZL1 1LE. Im surprised by the negativity- most people are correct: if you don't track your car then you shouldn't be rolling around with dive planes and a park bench but if you do... it's a life style and a statement. I don't feel bad when I'm rolling around with my wickerbill and splitter now... I love it. It's my (expensive) hobby and I sure don't mind sharing that. Also, you don't see gt3 Rs owners complaining about their wings. Lastly, I hope they don't do the gt350r garbage and create a limited production exclusive car that can't be owned. A 100k mustang is a joke. Amazing value at msrp but it's just a joke at current asking prices.

I just want to say thank you to chevy for pushing the engineering envelope. I mean that. They've enabled a common guy like me to own near supercar performance. Ford screwed the auto enthusiast community. The Germans (Bmw) can't figure it out lately. Porsche can't let the cayman breath. When you look at what Chevys done they've basically created a car that caterers to everyone's desires and they've seemed to do it well. Super impressed.
Here is a guy that gets it. I find your intelligent and well crafted response very refreshing. Bravo!
762CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:27 AM   #310
jonny5cam

Drives: IOM SS/RS LS3/6sp. man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyman View Post
Ya gotta wonder why GM can't engineer this model in a way that these front canards and monstrous rear "wing" can be installed simply for racing and removed as easily for street use. I agree with quite a few others in thread who would feel like an idiot or a ricer driving this car on the street with all that crap sticking out the sides and up in the air.
The exhaust tone and massive amounts of torque will surely quell that "ricer feeling" before it even happens.
jonny5cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:31 AM   #311
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
Quote:
I wouldn't say that's true. Current Z/28 is the same class of car as a gt4, gt3 or 997 gt3 rs at 1/2 to 1/3 the price. Chris Harris compared to a 997 gt3 Rs, MotorTrend compared to a 991 gt3. MotorTrend concluded you could have a z/28, truck, trailer, fees and tires for the price of an as tested gt3.

In reality, I could have gotten a gt4 or gt3 but was absolutely unwilling to take on that kind of "asset". I love what Chevy is doing. They took a German car guy (me) and made me appreciate a budget performance car. My z/28 has just been amazing on track and you can bet my interest in a gt4 just fell flat on its face for a ZL1 1LE. Im surprised by the negativity- most people are correct: if you don't track your car then you shouldn't be rolling around with dive planes and a park bench but if you do... it's a life style and a statement. I don't feel bad when I'm rolling around with my wickerbill and splitter now... I love it. It's my (expensive) hobby and I sure don't mind sharing that. Also, you don't see gt3 Rs owners complaining about their wings. Lastly, I hope they don't do the gt350r garbage and create a limited production exclusive car that can't be owned. A 100k mustang is a joke. Amazing value at msrp but it's just a joke at current asking prices.

I just want to say thank you to chevy for pushing the engineering envelope. I mean that. They've enabled a common guy like me to own near supercar performance. Ford screwed the auto enthusiast community. The Germans (Bmw) can't figure it out lately. Porsche can't let the cayman breath. When you look at what Chevys done they've basically created a car that caterers to everyone's desires and they've seemed to do it well. Super impressed.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:38 AM   #312
keon718nyc

Drives: Challenger SP Shaker/Arcadia Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny5cam View Post
The exhaust tone and massive amounts of torque will surely quell that "ricer feeling" before it even happens.
I don't know about all that turning it into a ricer feeling. Given the tall spoiler and front air dam parts may throw some people off but if your at a track it would pay off with the aerodynamics of what GM did. Ricer i look at maybe a LT,RS,SS with a spoiler like that but being it has a LT4 and every other option for a track i wouldn't knock the looks to hard. Would i drive that in the street with pride? Hell yea i would. I am positive that many peoples heads would turn looking at the car passing trying to figure out what type of bad ass sports car it is.
keon718nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:38 AM   #313
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
The greater majority of the masses will be clueless of the cars potential. There will be an informed few which will have respect. Like some of the new ZL1 owners there will be envy but these are two different animals intended for different purposes.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:58 AM   #314
chrisvr6

Drives: suzuki
Attached Images

chrisvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:06 PM   #315
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
This car is gonna flat out fly. That's an impressive package. Props to team Camaro,

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Interesting. I guess that solves the mystery of the 'thing with a wing'
So this was the car that we saw test videos of at the ring right? the car everyone said was the Z/28 right?

The one everyone said me and others were crazy for hearing blower whine right lol, if so just glad I wasn't the crazy one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I'm going to say there won't be a Z/28. Either the power train engineers couldn't get a workable engine or GM wouldn't allow the Camaro to have one.

Everything about this car screams Z/28, except for the engine and badge.
Yep. Like we have discussed before the LT4 is currently their best option and per GM's past Camaro wasn't going to get a unique 1 off engine. This thing sure looks like its going to decimate just about anything though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
Love it, looks awesome and all that new equipment is sweet. But.... HATE the name haha should have

Nevertheless awesome car, I just hope this doesn't mean there won't be a Z/28 this generation.
This ^ Not going to lie, I did LOL when I say the name, I think they could have come up with something better.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:19 PM   #316
jaymsu
Yeti's Daddy

Drives: ATS-V, Prowler, M6 V10
Quote:

I'll have MUCH better chance to play with GT3s at the track with this.
I want one in NFG....
3000: 9/04/15 <TPW:10/19/15>
3800: 10/19/15 <VIN: 117740>
6000: 12/16/15
jaymsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:48 PM   #317
reeper

Drives: 2010 HD D/A, 2015 Z06, 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 396ssrat View Post
The greater majority of the masses will be clueless of the cars potential. There will be an informed few which will have respect. Like some of the new ZL1 owners there will be envy but these are two different animals intended for different purposes.
I agree - I'd bet 99% of the population wouldn't know the difference between the V6 version of the camaro with a cheap wing and the this new variant. Most people are just going to see a loud annoying car with 'wingy' things
OEM Blackout tail-lamps
OEM SEMA Grille
35% window tint
Black glow-tie
BMR Suspension (Pretty much everything)
ACS rear-deck spoiler
Rotofab CAI
Lolly-pop red rotors by Madison Powder Coating
reeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:40 PM   #318
GatorsZL1

Drives: 2017 BLK Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
I know the front fenders are wider on the ZL1 but did they have to flare out the 1/4 panels to get those wheels/tires to fit? I doubt it if it's just an option package for the ZL1 but that is a lot of rubber!

Nah, they went to a 19" to fit the 305 in the front, no issues for the rear.

I'm running 20's with 325s in the rear with no issues.
GatorsZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:04 PM   #319
flyinlow

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeper View Post
I agree - I'd bet 99% of the population wouldn't know the difference between the V6 version of the camaro with a cheap wing and the this new variant. Most people are just going to see a loud annoying car with 'wingy' things
Agreed, most of the public are clueless about car models, also most of the public don't take care of their cars the way they should and most of the public don't even drive their stock Camry or Malibu to its potential. I could care less what they think of this car. If a car guy looks at this and doesn't know what it is or what the aero bits are for, he's not a car guy. If I see a Honda civic with a wing on it, I don't immediately dismiss it until I can get a good look at it. Sure there are plenty of ricers out there, but there are also some well built cars out there too. As for the wing, if you look at every GT endurance racing class, they all have wings and they're there for a reason.
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:49 PM   #320
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
I found this reading more on the different features. Interesting considering I just swapped the rear cradle bushings from the OEM rubber to solid on my 5th gen ZL1 and picked up virtually no NVH, but the rear feels more planted and it got rid of the loose feeling in the rear when blasting through twisties. Well done GM.

Quote:
Another big change for the 1LE is the addition, or rather subtraction, of the rear cradle bushings. The stock rubber units have been ditched in favor of solid mounting the cradle to the car’s chassis.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:59 PM   #321
jcamaro
Obsessed Much?

Drives: 2015 Silver 1SS/RS M6
The best of both worlds, horsepower and street performance. Man I wish I had the money to get one of these. 2 kids, 1 more on the way... I'll have to stick with my 2015 SS for a while.

(JC @CSN)
Old 02-28-2017, 07:30 AM   #322
bodysnatcher
Bodysnatcher

Drives: 2017 Black RS
its just another car produced by Chevrolet that will rarely sell, just like the red Z28 still for sale at the local Chev dealer here in Lafayette
bodysnatcher is offline   Reply With Quote