Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 07-15-2011, 07:37 AM   #1
Tyler360

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Exclamation Questions on TC/SC, there negative affects on the engine, and power train warranty!!!

I have a few questions concerning forced induction, its negative affects on an engine, and ways to get around the warranty. But first I just want to say I am new here and i don't have a whole lot of experience/knowledge in the world of performance upgrades. In other words, i'm just getting into the hobby. Sorry if thats a bit off-topic but i find that sometimes it helps to know what you are dealing with.

Anyways, with that being said, the vehicle in question is a 100% stock 2011 Camaro 2SS, manual tranny, and a hurst short throw. My questions:

What engine parts risk being damaged when adding a supercharger to a 100% stock LS3? Would a turbo be any different? What other performance upgrades should be made when adding a turbo or supercharger?

Are there any loopholes in getting around the power train warranty? Such as installing a bolt-on turbo or supercharger and removing it if you have to take the vehicle in to make a warranty claim?

As far as the computer goes, can you reset it back to factory settings without leaving any trace of it having ever been modified? If not, would it be possible to buy another computer, use that one with the SC or TC, and then if you have problems, reinstall the original?

Why I'm asking:I bought my camaro brand new 2 months ago. When i bought it, I made the stupidest, dumbest mistake and bought an extended warranty(I think it cost like 1,800). At the time I was so excited that I was actually going to own the car of my dreams that I hadn't put any thought into the fact that any performance upgrades might void the warranty. Anyway, any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Tyler360
Tyler360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:40 AM   #2
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Cancel the warranty and they will refund you a prorated amount.

Mod the car and kiss your factory warranty goodbye. No way around it, sorry.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:53 AM   #3
Tyler360

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I will have to look into that. Also, I just remembered another detail. A few days after I brought the car home, I asked the dealer about the power train warranty and how it was affected if you modified the engine. He told me that if you made a claim, the warranty would be voided if it's proved the mod is related to the problem.
Tyler360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:21 AM   #4
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
Edelbrock sells a warranty for the powertrain if you install their S/C system...not sure about the others. Good luck.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:32 AM   #5
caper

Drives: 2010 IOM 2ss/RS
to answer some of your questions..

you cannot install and then take off a SC or turbo just for warrenty work...

no loopholes...

cannot tune and then remove tune for warrenty, they can tell...btw a SC or turbo also both require a tune (as does a cam), so even IF you removed your SC for something, the tune would still show up

ideally you would forge the bottom end for boost. stock bottom end can only take so much. i am in the same boat, and may- in a yr or so- throw a SC on there and not go crazy with the boost.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:18 AM   #6
FloMoCamaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Welcome to the board Tyler360... Like above - get a refund on extended warranty - Install a Magnuson TVS 2300 on the car and purchace the $750 - 100,000 mile warranty from Magnuson. But if you are like all of us other Gear Heads on here, you will want to exceed the limitations of Magnusons warranty as well. Good luck...
Old 07-15-2011, 10:59 AM   #7
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Tyler360;3471628]I have a few questions concerning forced induction, its negative affects on an engine, and ways to get around the warranty. But first I just want to say I am new here and i don't have a whole lot of experience/knowledge in the world of performance upgrades. In other words, i'm just getting into the hobby. Sorry if thats a bit off-topic but i find that sometimes it helps to know what you are dealing with.
Welcome to the Community.

Quote:
Anyways, with that being said, the vehicle in question is a 100% stock 2011 Camaro 2SS, manual tranny, and a hurst short throw. My questions:

What engine parts risk being damaged when adding a supercharger to a 100% stock LS3? Would a turbo be any different? What other performance upgrades should be made when adding a turbo or supercharger?
Done Properly the car can be as reliable as any other brand new car on the road, we built hundreds of cars and trucks with superchargers over the last 20 years.

2 of my Personal vehicles are Supercharged one for 11 years and one for 7 years and I still beat the crap out of them.

Quote:
Are there any loopholes in getting around the power train warranty? Such as installing a bolt-on turbo or supercharger and removing it if you have to take the vehicle in to make a warranty claim?

As far as the computer goes, can you reset it back to factory settings without leaving any trace of it having ever been modified? If not, would it be possible to buy another computer, use that one with the SC or TC, and then if you have problems, reinstall the original?
No and that would be Fraud if you tried it.

Quote:
Why I'm asking:I bought my camaro brand new 2 months ago. When i bought it, I made the stupidest, dumbest mistake and bought an extended warranty(I think it cost like 1,800). At the time I was so excited that I was actually going to own the car of my dreams that I hadn't put any thought into the fact that any performance upgrades might void the warranty. Anyway, any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Definitely look in to a refund for this, An Extended warranty is better suited for a vehicle you will never touch and put more miles per year than allotted in the base warranty.

Not a good fit for a Pleasure vehicle.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:50 PM   #8
East Coast Supercharging

Drives: 8 second C5 Drag Car, C6 Road racer
After the car is modded, bringing it back to the dealer is not usually the best idea anyway, it rarely seems to turn out well. Your best off to kiss the warranty away and take care of any problems yourself so you can beef up the car so it wont break again if it was too.
All in all they are very reliable even with making big power, so I wouldn't make it a huge concern unless your selling a kidney to buy the supercharger, that's not the best idea either.

Doug @ ECS
East Coast Supercharging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:06 PM   #9
honeybucket99

Drives: 2SS/RS CGM CAMARO BEAST
the big issue with boost

the biggest concern I have found is the drip, then stream, then torrential river of cash this addiction (hobby) engenders.

Seriously though, I worried for the 3000 miles I ran my stock engine on boost, though I had no problems whatsoever. I am now awaiting the car's return with numerous upgrades to make everything bulletproof. I suggest finding a reputable shop close to you and discuss your desires with the shop. Then, buy some wrinkle cream for the "crows feet" at the edges of your eyes that are caused by the permagrin
2010 CGM 2SS/RS; 418 stroker; JE Forged Pistons (offset wrist pin); Forged Crank; upgraded valvetrain; Custom Comp Cams Cam; Kenne Bell 2.8; ID 1000s; Aeromotive Fuel pump with return; ARH Long Tubes; Spec heavy duty clutch; 3" Magnaflow Cat Back; Nick Williams 102 mm Throttle Body; Tune fixed by Dave Steck; 815 HP and 14 mpg

Upcoming--
Disintegrated drivetrain;
Divorce if/when my wife catches on to
my addiction
honeybucket99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:54 PM   #10
kennyo

Drives: 2017 2SS Hyper Blue
I did the same thing with extended warranty and sold it back.Your payments will stay the same,the loan will just be paid off quicker.If I remember correctly,you have 3 months to do it before getting hit with surcharges for cancelling.

Tags
engine damage, stock, supercharger, turbocharger, warranty