Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-30-2018, 08:34 PM   #1
grahak2

Drives: 2021 scatpack challenger 6spd cinna
service questions

Hi guys,

I took my 1ss in for the 37500 service which is oil change and tire rotation. They told me I couldn't get the tires rotated side to side because they were directional. I don't think they are but I didn't think the rotation is that big of a deal. I had a $50 off oil change coupon.

Anyway they told me the throttle body was dirty like a $300 service
My coolant was diluted a $100 service
and my brakes were at 4mm front and rear brakes about $800.

I would be taking it to another dealer for service as I just went to this one because of the coupon.

I looked up threads on the throttle body and diluted coolant just wondering what you guys think. I haven't ever added coolant that wasn't a 50/50 mix btw.

Also since I have a m6 I use the engine braking a lot. I was surprised my brakes were at 4mm with this many miles. My tires are still showing the indicator strip so they were ok.

Thanks for any advice and I don't have any mechanical skills to do these things myself. I don't mind paying for the services just wondering what you guys think.

Thanks,
Kevin
grahak2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:45 PM   #2
Clarkstar

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Take it to a private shop and get a second opinion. Stay away from the dealerships.

Stock pads are soft and wear out fast... they may be gone.

Get a can of TB cleaner and clean it yourself. Videos on YouTube... very easy.
2013 1le- Katech 416 short block, TSP custom grind cam, LOD intake, cnc heads by F.ED., Nick William's 102mm T.B., CORN fed, Pedders coilovers. Performance street alingnment by Justin at Lake Country Alignment and dyno tune by Late Model Throttle.

603 h.p. 495 ft lbs tq.
Clarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 09:53 PM   #3
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
That oil change coupon is a ploy to get your car in to service bay so they can make up a laundry list of service items to take your cash.

The stock SS tires/wheels are staggered ... the back are wider than the front. Rotation is side to side -- but you can not rotate them front to back. The dealer told you wrong.

Brembo Brake pads on front are very easy to change ... about as easy as changing a tire and as fast. The official Brembo oem pads are about $100 off ebay. Check-out YouTube video.

The antifreeze is only 3 years old and 33,000 miles means you are nowhere near interval stated in owners manual for replacement; especially since you never put plain water in it. Won't hurt to change it early but did you ask them WHY they thought it was diluted?

Throttle body is likely almost like new. It is very simple to clean it yourself as early post mentioned.

That dealer service department is just fishing for cash. Likely they give most all customers that same laundry list they gave you.
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.

Last edited by ron123; 06-30-2018 at 10:04 PM.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 10:01 PM   #4
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Sounds like a scam.
How much did the oil change wind up costing?

At my dealer 8 qts. Mobil1 and filter is $85 @ full price.
Have you checked the oil? Does it look/smell like new? Right on the mark?
Old 06-30-2018, 10:04 PM   #5
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
Ridiculous prices they quoted you. RUN away, don't walk.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 10:30 PM   #6
grahak2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron123 View Post
That oil change coupon is a ploy to get your car in to service bay so they can make up a laundry list of service items to take your cash.

The stock SS tires/wheels are staggered ... the back are wider than the front. Rotation is side to side -- but you can not rotate them front to back. The dealer told you wrong.

Brembo Brake pads on front are very easy to change ... about as easy as changing a tire and as fast. The official Brembo oem pads are about $100 off ebay. Check-out YouTube video.

The antifreeze is only 3 years old and 33,000 miles means you are nowhere near interval stated in owners manual for replacement; especially since you never put plain water in it. Won't hurt to change it early but did you ask them WHY they thought it was diluted?

Throttle body is likely almost like new. It is very simple to clean it yourself as early post mentioned.

That dealer service department is just fishing for cash. Likely they give most all customers that same laundry list they gave you.
Thanks Ron,

I have had my tires rotated that way at another dealer. I just figured it wasn't that big of deal to argue.

I did look up some info about the throttle body. I guess I was wondering if they do more since they call it fuel system service?

I didn't ask them about the diluted coolant because I actually didn't see the caution items until I got home.

Thing about the brakes is these were the fees for pads and resurfacing rotor. Maybe the rotor doesn't need resurfaced yet?

As usual with my questions thanks for your help!
Old 06-30-2018, 10:33 PM   #7
grahak2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBananaSS View Post
Ridiculous prices they quoted you. RUN away, don't walk.
Thanks,

I didn't do anything yet. I have a bigger service next time when my manual trans fluid is changed. I will see what my usual dealer says and if they can get me a deal if I get multiple items done.

Kevin
Old 06-30-2018, 10:43 PM   #8
grahak2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
Sounds like a scam.
How much did the oil change wind up costing?

At my dealer 8 qts. Mobil1 and filter is $85 @ full price.
Have you checked the oil? Does it look/smell like new? Right on the mark?
Hi,

Ended up costing $45 because they put booster in for $20. They didn't ask me so I let it be. I did check the oil before I left and it was new. I let it go the whole 7500 miles so I can tell the color is clearer. It is on the mark and the invoice had the correct 8 qts. It is the dealer I bought the car from and have had them change the oil before.

Should clarify the coupon was for $50 off any service.

Thanks,
Kevin

Last edited by grahak2; 06-30-2018 at 10:50 PM. Reason: msp word
Old 06-30-2018, 10:48 PM   #9
grahak2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkstar View Post
Take it to a private shop and get a second opinion. Stay away from the dealerships.

Stock pads are soft and wear out fast... they may be gone.

Get a can of TB cleaner and clean it yourself. Videos on YouTube... very easy.
Hi Clarkstar,

Thanks for the advice. I don't know any non dealer shops in AZ. If anybody does please let me know.

I will check out some youtube on the throttle body. Do you think that is all they do at the dealer for the fuel system service?

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 07-01-2018, 06:20 AM   #10
jc615
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro and Sierra
They tried to get my dad on those same issues when he dropped off my truck at gmc dealer for me. they also added $80 for cabin filter. I can do everything they said in hourish for $100
jc615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 06:49 AM   #11
grahak2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc615 View Post
They tried to get my dad on those same issues when he dropped off my truck at gmc dealer for me. they also added $80 for cabin filter. I can do everything they said in hourish for $100
Thanks for the info. I do my own filters but haven't ever done more mechanical stuff. Glad there are people that can though. I envy them. Just don't want to start trying stuff on a car I owe 3 more years on. Maybe when its older I will.

Thanks,
Kevin