Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-16-2019, 04:50 AM   #1
Level300

Drives: 2015 Black rs/ss/1le
2015 1LE nannies off = clutch smell

Was driving home yesterday and decided to take the nannies off by holding down the button until both lights lit up. I did this stopped at a light. I forgot about it after a while. After a few miles I noticed a burning clutch smell. So I turned off the nannies back on and the smell went away. I didn’t do anything but drive like I normally do. Not spirited, Just regular street driving on public roads.

Has anyone experienced this before?
Level300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 10:04 AM   #2
terry_b

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to terry_b
Well, one thing to consider is that maybe it was tire smell? Maybe without the nannies you were spinning the tires a bit? Or possibly just slipping the clutch more trying to keep the drive smooth

I know with a Monster LT1 clutch in my 1LE, because it's a little more grabby, I tend to do both of those things... also, I have been having issues with what I think is air in the clutch line so engagement isn't always as smooth as it should be.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:25 AM   #3
Level300

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry_b View Post
Well, one thing to consider is that maybe it was tire smell? Maybe without the nannies you were spinning the tires a bit? Or possibly just slipping the clutch more trying to keep the drive smooth

I know with a Monster LT1 clutch in my 1LE, because it's a little more grabby, I tend to do both of those things... also, I have been having issues with what I think is air in the clutch line so engagement isn't always as smooth as it should be.
Thanks Terry. No, it was clutch. I know what burning clutch smells like (and rubber). I was also driving normally/legally. No burn outs during the trip. I was bored at a light and decided to take the nannies off. Then forgot about it. Then I smelled clutch driving down the road doing about 35-40mph. The car was rolling fine, no noticeable drag and it behaved normally.

I didn't think TC or the electronic stability control touched the clutch or clutch pedal in any way. I only thought it controlled the brakes.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:21 AM   #4
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Brakes and clutches can have similar friction material and bonding agents that have the same smell when hot. Possibly some Nannie glitch that was applying the brakes?? You think you’d have gotten a code tho.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:28 PM   #5
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Level300 View Post

Has anyone experienced this before?
About once or twice a week i get burning clutch smell even when Camaro was new. Sometimes at random. Usually after car sits for few days and then after driving a few mile hit a red traffic light notice it after driving away normally. Does it starting up slope sometimes after stopping. In some of my cases certain times of year the rotor rusts in a few days of sitting and likely the flywheel also.

On the SS manual, transmission vents in the bell housing are close to the engine bay. The hood extractor above engine bay causes exit of odor right in front of the cabin fresh air intake vent, and the registers in dash point right at face. So pretty much a direct line of fire from the clutch to driver's nose for the SS. lol. Some days i can visually see airflow heat waves flowing up from extractor. It certainly does its multi-purpose job.
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.

Last edited by ron123; 02-16-2019 at 03:09 PM.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 03:36 PM   #6
pnwdan

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
It could have been that it wasn't even you. I've had people in front of me ride their clutch or have the hand brake on and the smell comes right onto the car. There really isnt a logical answer to anything causing your clutch to burn up if you were driving normal

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 02-16-2019, 05:12 PM   #7
J Rod

Drives: '14 BRM 1LE 2SS/RS
I'm with Ron. When I first got my car I noticed a burning clutch smell for the first week or so. I did some searching on here and found it was fairly common. Either it went away on it's own or I just got used to the smell cause I haven't noticed it since.
LSA Blower w/ 2.45 Griptec, Reinforced Brick, FIC 1000 injectors, JRE FPCM, LFP Dual Pass HX, ZL1 IC pump, RotoFab CAI, Bo White TB, Coated Stainless Power 1-7/8" LTs, NPP, NGK TR7IX, Mighty Mouse Wild CC, AEM X-Series WB, Aeroforce Interceptor, MGW Shifter, Z28 Grill, Gary's Custom ZL1 Rockers, Hero Tails, Tuned by IMC
J Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 02:15 PM   #8
V8only

Drives: 2012 camaro 45th 2ss/rs Centri SC
fair chance you need to bleed your clutch. Without the nannies on, you're able to get a hard launch. My clutch kept slipping until I bled my clutch and installed a remote reservoir. After I did that, the slippage stopped. You can't launch hard with traction control on, so you won't notice this issue until you really attempt to get on it. When I bought the car with only 43k on it, clutch was badly slipping from contaminated fluid then.
-66 mustang fuel injected resto-mod
V8only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:53 PM   #9
Level300

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8only View Post
fair chance you need to bleed your clutch. Without the nannies on, you're able to get a hard launch. My clutch kept slipping until I bled my clutch and installed a remote reservoir. After I did that, the slippage stopped. You can't launch hard with traction control on, so you won't notice this issue until you really attempt to get on it. When I bought the car with only 43k on it, clutch was badly slipping from contaminated fluid then.
Thanks. But I was driving normally. No burn outs or anything like that. I just took the nannies off at a light as I was bored... then drove normally, no launches or hard starts. Then I started to smell clutch after a few miles later. I'm still baffled as to how the clutch is connected to the nannies. I've driven on the same road and this is the first time I've smelled clutch. The smell went away when I put the nannies back on.