Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-12-2018, 07:27 PM   #15
You Aint Slick

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBananaSS View Post
That's a loud tick. If it wasn't there before the event you should have it looked at.
That's the thing, I don't know if it was there before... With the hood down, you can't hear anything.

With the hood up you can barely hear anything either, unless you really get in there to listen.

Who knows! I'm debating on getting it checked out, but I feel like everybody is gonna hit me with the whole "It's normal" thing. which it just might be.
You Aint Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:31 PM   #16
You Aint Slick

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidscamaro View Post
Mines the same way , louder on drivers side

I got a Howard's 224/234 112+4lsa with 6.20/6.40 lift

I often think there must be a problem too. But I keep driving the piss out of it and nothing broke yet. Famous last words

Figure if it does let go I'll will do a cheap junk yard swap with a different cam and repeat

4.8 to 6.2 they all fit and make enough power to spin tires and eat mustangs

Yeah, I might just keep driving her like I stole her and see what happens, the motor only has 22k miles on it, Would be a shame if it went anytime soon.

I still owe money on the car, just picked it up about a year and a half ago, so I'm hoping nothing too serious breaks on it. but I guess will see.

I think the sound is normal, but like I said, the incident at the track has made me pay a little more attention to any sounds in the engine bay and I figured I'd ask around.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:50 PM   #17
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by You Aint Slick View Post
That's all it took haha, 1 guy to say otherwise.
Didn't mean to worry you, sorry.

I've always listened to my cars regular noises so I can tell right away if it's a new noise. Any new noises I'm not familiar with I get checked out. Engines are expensive so I'd rather pay $100 for a check up now than catch something too late.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:32 AM   #18
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Its fine. As long as your oil was good during your runs and you did not over rev, then you're good.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:54 AM   #19
Buschman

Drives: 2018 ZL1 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
Its fine. As long as your oil was good during your runs and you did not over rev, then you're good.

He did over rev, assuming he was shifting around 6400rpm the second to third shift should have been around 76-78mph. Shifting to first at 76mph would spin the engine to 9000+rpm.

I would be concerned, even if it was a split second. Stock internals can not handle that rpm. I'm not saying that you absolutely hurt the motor. But if it were my car I would at least change the oil to look for metal. Then pull the heads to inspect the rockers, valves and push rods.

The car may still run great with small issues, but small issues can get big real quick.

Buschman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 11:43 AM   #20
You Aint Slick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buschman View Post
He did over rev, assuming he was shifting around 6400rpm the second to third shift should have been around 76-78mph. Shifting to first at 76mph would spin the engine to 9000+rpm.

I would be concerned, even if it was a split second. Stock internals can not handle that rpm. I'm not saying that you absolutely hurt the motor. But if it were my car I would at least change the oil to look for metal. Then pull the heads to inspect the rockers, valves and push rods.

The car may still run great with small issues, but small issues can get big real quick.

I agree, and if cash wasn’t so tight I probably would get torn down to inspect. I may have a new cam next summer so maybe I’ll wait and pray?

I know I probably over revved the motor, I’m just hoping I was slipping the clutch coming out of 2nd and saved it.

It all happened so fast I didn’t even get a chance to see what RPM I was at etc...

I will get an oil change pretty soon, here’s to hoping.

The car runs amazing still, I thought it was a general consensus that the mechanical failure from a money shift was pretty noticeable and very soon.

I still managed 2 more hard runs, and a 90km drive back home at highway speeds and the car was great.

Ahhhh ****, what a mess up.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:02 PM   #21
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Would maybe using a better shifter help something like this? LOL sorry OP I hope your mighty LS3 is still okay-fingers crossed pun intended!
Attached Images

qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 12:38 PM   #22
You Aint Slick

Haha, it was my fault not the shifter, I was nervous and had my hand firmly over the shifter, my buddy was beside me so I felt like I had something to prove and I ****ed up
Old 08-13-2018, 01:54 PM   #23
jrob56

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ 4wd 5.3
Sounds fine to me, but I know that feeling, it will probably keep nagging at you. Personally though Id try to forget it if its running well. If really worried check oil for any metal, send in for oil analysis, and maybe pull valve covers just looking for anything obvious. I wouldnt go any farther than that without more proof of an issue.

Sold:
95 Taurus SE
00 Z28 A4
06 TBSS
06 GTO M6
02 F150
01 B4C A4
05 GTO M6
02 Z28 M6
jrob56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 02:00 PM   #24
You Aint Slick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrob56 View Post
Sounds fine to me, but I know that feeling, it will probably keep nagging at you. Personally though Id try to forget it if its running well. If really worried check oil for any metal, send in for oil analysis, and maybe pull valve covers just looking for anything obvious. I wouldnt go any farther than that without more proof of an issue.
Yeah man, I am naturally just worried all the damn time over shit like this, it’s a bad habit.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:09 PM   #25
Buschman

Drives: 2018 ZL1 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Yeah man, I am naturally just worried all the damn time over shit like this, it’s a bad habit.

I get the same way... Check over the oil good, cut open the filter and check it out. I agree with at least pulling the valve covers and checking over the springs, keepers, and rockers. It will only take a couple of hours, but you have the confidence back that everything is okay. Or you find the small problem and get it fixed.

By the way, anyone who has ever drag raced a manual (wither they admit it or not) has missed third gear, most end up in fifth or not in gear. Don't beat yourself up too much.

Buschman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 02:20 PM   #26
You Aint Slick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buschman View Post
I get the same way... Check over the oil good, cut open the filter and check it out. I agree with at least pulling the valve covers and checking over the springs, keepers, and rockers. It will only take a couple of hours, but you have the confidence back that everything is okay. Or you find the small problem and get it fixed.

By the way, anyone who has ever drag raced a manual (wither they admit it or not) has missed third gear, most end up in fifth or not in gear. Don't beat yourself up too much.

Thanks for the reassurance man.

I wish I was more confident in my ability to work on motors, I entered the wrong trade, I can turn pipe wrenches, and fix fire protection systems but when it comes to motors it’s so foreign to me I’d be worried about taking it all apart.

I’ll have to see what a mechanic would charge to do an inspection, hopefully not too much.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:32 PM   #27
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Nothing done to the car, except a Catback exhaust, I just gave er, had a pretty good launch on street tires, may have gotten lucky on the 12.82 run. Was pretty happy considering it is stock from a performance side.

The 194KM was the 1/2 mile trap, actually it's more like 3/8 of a mile, but I let off after the 1/4 because I was pretty happy with my runs.
I ran a best ever 12.79X bone stock, and lost that race to an auto car that ran a 12.69X "stock." I know it had a transmission tune, but thats all that was claimed and I'm fine with that....

Nothing done to my car except for a grill back everything.

I'm typically trapping 185-190 mph or so in the half.....145-150 1/4 mile. (Not a prepped track and DOT tires) Gearing for the start would help, as my car launches like a battleship in mud.... A VW Bug can outrun me to 60 mph, which is about the 1/8 mile for me. 60 mph to 190 mph happens very very quickly.... To date the car has been 225 in the mile but she has a lot more in her... Just need to get everything working together and communicating with each other....

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:00 PM   #28
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Haha, it was my fault not the shifter, I was nervous and had my hand firmly over the shifter, my buddy was beside me so I felt like I had something to prove and I ****ed up
I wasn't going to say anything about technique until I saw this post and your comments....

There is a specific way to handle the shifter, three ways actually, depending on which shift you are making....

1-2: Hand wrapped sideways around the shifter with the back of your hand on the passenger side of the knob, fingers wrapped around the drivers side, thumb up...Visualize trying to pull the shifter to you....

2-3: Palm against the backside (left rear) of the shifter, arm and fingers pointed in the direction of the gate for 2-3. Think right front of the car... Push the shifter away from you towards the right front.... with just your palm...

3-4: Hand wrapped sideways around the shifter with the back of your hand towards the drivers side of the vehicle, thumb down, fingers wrapped around the front and think pull straight back....

4-5 is the same as 2-3... though most people don't shift into 5th under race conditions.... I do at the big end of the mile...

I saw a video about this years ago and it works... I still occasionally miss gears but that's due to the RPM's we spin the motor to more so than technique.... The synchros in my trans have no idea what to do with 9K RPM's... I drive with the above technique at all times now, so much so that it is second nature.... The hand over the top of the shifter with a five finger death grip causes lots of problems.

I hope this helps.... I can make photos to demonstrate my meaning if you need.... I'm not always good at explaining tings....

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote