Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2018, 10:48 AM   #5713
Royal Tiger
Sd Kfz 182
 
Royal Tiger's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS/RS L99 GFX Convertible
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Posts: 2,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Wonder if they are just trademark squatting with Ultra Cruise, so nobody can pick the next most obvious variant of Super Cruise?
Of course they won't be perfect. But human drivers aren't perfect either. And we're the standard they ultimately need to be compared against. Not to mention the fact that human drivers, unassisted, have kinda plateaued as a group. Meanwhile, self driving cars are only going to get better for the foreseeable future.
You mean how my car’s driver assists turn off when it rains? People in Seattle are screwed.
Royal Tiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 11:11 AM   #5714
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!
 
Angrybird 12's Avatar
 
Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 21,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Wonder if they are just trademark squatting with Ultra Cruise, so nobody can pick the next most obvious variant of Super Cruise?
Of course they won't be perfect. But human drivers aren't perfect either. And we're the standard they ultimately need to be compared against. Not to mention the fact that human drivers, unassisted, have kinda plateaued as a group. Meanwhile, self driving cars are only going to get better for the foreseeable future.
Well right now there are too many things self driving cars can’t do and nobody knows how they can get them to operate under all conditions. Yeah they are making progress but it is going to take a long time. There is also going to have to be some way that traffic signals and warning signs can communicate with the cars. They cannot rely on cameras radar or gps to see a stoplight that has burned out, or obscured by sunlight or had a power failure. Also construction zones where the speed limit drops fom 70 to 40 and many other instances that will have to be handled that a human driver can do.
Human mistakes are human mistakes, but humans learn from their mistakes. Unless self driving cars have some sort of Artificial Intelligence where they learn they will be prone to make the same mistakes over and over.
__________________
Cancer's a bitch! Enjoy life while you can! LIVE, LOVE, DRIVE...
The Bird is the word!
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 01:27 PM   #5715
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado
 
FenwickHockey65's Avatar
 
Drives: '03 Envoy, '07 F-150, '12 Charger
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 35,889
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Cadillac headquarters moving back to Detroit...
__________________

2003 GMC Envoy SLE
2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
2012 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 02:05 PM   #5716
KMPrenger


 
KMPrenger's Avatar
 
Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jefferson City, Missouri
Posts: 13,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Cadillac headquarters moving back to Detroit...
Not Surprised.
__________________
2016 Camaro 1SS - 8-speed - NPP - Black bowties
2010 Camaro 1LT V6 (Sold. I will miss her!)
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 03:36 PM   #5717
90503


 
90503's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Torrance
Posts: 12,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
So Super Cruise, Ultra Cruise, Sport Control AWD.


When is Quadrasteer gonna back?

Coming soon: Snooze Cruise, Booze Cruise, Accu-Jack Mode, F-U Traffic Alert.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 03:48 PM   #5718
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado
 
FenwickHockey65's Avatar
 
Drives: '03 Envoy, '07 F-150, '12 Charger
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 35,889
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
When my Cadillac autonomously translates my road rage to other drivers then I'll be really impressed.
__________________

2003 GMC Envoy SLE
2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
2012 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 03:55 PM   #5719
90503


 
90503's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Torrance
Posts: 12,966
That would be Road Rage Suppression/Reprisal Mode...lol
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 04:30 PM   #5720
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 24,925
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Well right now there are too many things self driving cars can’t do and nobody knows how they can get them to operate under all conditions. Yeah they are making progress but it is going to take a long time. There is also going to have to be some way that traffic signals and warning signs can communicate with the cars. They cannot rely on cameras radar or gps to see a stoplight that has burned out, or obscured by sunlight or had a power failure. Also construction zones where the speed limit drops fom 70 to 40 and many other instances that will have to be handled that a human driver can do.
Human mistakes are human mistakes, but humans learn from their mistakes. Unless self driving cars have some sort of Artificial Intelligence where they learn they will be prone to make the same mistakes over and over.
Some humans make the same mistakes over and over too. See anyone with multiple DUIs, driving with a suspended license, or is un-insurable due to numerous write-offs.

A person can learn from their own mistake, but sometimes they don't. Maybe their they are stubborn, or arrogant. Maybe they got killed in the accident and are therefore unable to use their newfound knowledge of what not to do. And a human driver will seldom learn from the mistakes that others make.



With self driving cars, the engineers designing the systems will be learning from countless mistakes and shortcomings of the entire fleet of vehicles. They then improve the next generation system based on that knowledge. Repeat.
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
Originally Posted by FbodFather
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!
__________________

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 04:33 PM   #5721
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 24,925
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Cadillac headquarters moving back to Detroit...
I had forgotten they were a 'New York' company until now. What was the claimed reason Johan had for moving there in the first place?
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
Originally Posted by FbodFather
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!
__________________

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 04:52 PM   #5722
shaffe


 
Drives: 2018 Mazda6
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Carol Stream
Posts: 4,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Cadillac headquarters moving back to Detroit...
Good. Glad that seemed to backfire on them as it was a stupid decision in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I had forgotten they were a 'New York' company until now. What was the claimed reason Johan had for moving there in the first place?
IIRC Wasn't it to kind of distance themselves from "regular" GM?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72MachOne99GT View Post
Lets keep it simple. ..
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:18 PM   #5723
90503


 
90503's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Torrance
Posts: 12,966
I recall the Cadillac move to New York was to be closer to their up-scale base of customers...or something like that....basically just a PR, image move...

Last edited by 90503; 09-26-2018 at 05:31 PM.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 06:57 PM   #5724
Martinjlm
Retired from GM
 
Martinjlm's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Detroit
Posts: 1,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
I recall the Cadillac move to New York was to be closer to their up-scale base of customers...or something like that....basically just a PR, image move...
I just assumed it was part of the package to get JDN to take the job. NYC is more metropolitan than Detroit. Glad it’s coming back, but I know of more than one person who was told “your job is moving to NYC. You can move or you can quit.”
__________________
2017 CAMARO FIFTY SS CONVERTIBLE
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | Thinkware F750 front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties |Novistretch bra and mirror covers |Tow hitch for bicycle rack |


Martinjlm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:06 PM   #5725
90503


 
90503's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Torrance
Posts: 12,966
Here's an article from a little over a year ago about the move...Still thought to be a good idea at the time...

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...ack/101417272/

A quote from the article...

"GM moved the Cadillac headquarters away from Detroit in September 2015, prompting politicians and local business leaders to complain directly to CEO Mary Barra. The idea, explained by Cadillac President Johan de Nysschen, was to put some distance between Cadillac and the rest of GM — and to park it in the heart of a global luxury capital.

A veteran of the Audi and Infiniti luxury brands, de Nysschen expects that re-establishing the brand as the “standard for the world” to take as long as 15 years. It has internal milestones to hit along the way, namely gains in brand image, owner satisfaction, customer loyalty and global sales."


Recent article...
https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...it/1434144002/
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:54 PM   #5726
Royal Tiger
Sd Kfz 182
 
Royal Tiger's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS/RS L99 GFX Convertible
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Posts: 2,996
Should have kept it in New York. Detroit looks like a 3rd world country.
Royal Tiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fenwickhockey65, gm questions, questions

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.