Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 04-20-2013, 04:28 PM   #1
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Camaro (or Musclecar) vs Tesla S

So today we went and picked up my buddy's Gen 5 Camaro SS from storage. A beautiful yellow and black car that certainly turns heads. On the way back into the city we stiffed by his brothers and took his new Tesla S for a spin.

Now I want one. And a lithe track day car for weekends. The storage space, the fit the finish, even the look of the Tesla blew away the Camaro (and my Mustang obviously) but what impressed me was the speed. With 100% of torque available from zero the time to 60 felt way above it's rated 4.2 seconds. The car, while heavy is planted thanks to a lower centre of gravity so cornering felt terrific. The underpan is smooth and aerodynamic and the car lowers at speed. OK, it's expensive, but is it? It would replace both my Boss and my Dodge Journey easily. And operating costs seen low. Have to say, I was very impressed. Can't imagine where we'll be in 5 years time. And I could help but feel the cars we know and love are becoming dinosaurs. I do, however see cars like the Vette still having relevance.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:30 PM   #2
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Oh, and before anyone asks...
Attached Images

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Old 04-20-2013, 08:05 PM   #3
tones2SS

Drives: '13 Roush S3 '16 Ram Sport 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 View Post
Can't imagine where we'll be in 5 years time. And I could help but feel the cars we know and love are becoming dinosaurs. I do, however see cars like the Vette still having relevance.
I don't know about becoming dinosaurs. I'll still like the Mustang, Viper, Challenger, and Camaro a lot more than the Tesla S. Just my opinion.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:00 PM   #4
AmericanMuscleCars
Teenage Dream Camaro

Drives: A Visually Stunning Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by tones2SS View Post
I don't know about becoming dinosaurs. I'll still like the Mustang, Viper, Challenger, and Camaro a lot more than the Tesla S. Just my opinion.
My question is why is there a mustang owner on here?!?!
Old 04-20-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
sasquash1984
502 RWHP N/A

Drives: The yeti
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanMuscleCars View Post
this is america, i dont see the problem here
heres the tesla s for those who dont know
Name:  tesla-model-s-tint-front.jpg
Views: 4047
Size:  290.7 KB
factory motor factory trans, Gpi ss4 cam stock heads ported and milled, full exhaust, circle d 5c 4000 triple disk, 3:91 rear end with posi mod, cai, bmr derlin rear diff bushins, bmr derlin cradle bushins, bmr trailing arms, toe rods with bushings, and bmr anti extreme sway bar. Weld rt-s 17x5 fronts and 17X10 rears on mickey thompson et street r's
sasquash1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #6
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Quote:
I currently have a couple of Mustangs. But I've owned, let's just say more than a few enthusiast automobiles of every stripe every since I bough a yellow MGB at 15 with my best bud 38 years ago. Never actually got that to run having instead to settle for a '69 Cougar as the car that defined my early driving experience. I joined C5 when the ZL1 was announced as I was interested in learning more about it. My question to you, is why hang out only with Camaro fans? Get out a bit, join some other forums, expand your horizons. Lots to learn about cars and other folks experiences. You may even make a few new friends along the way. ;-)

Old 04-20-2013, 10:02 PM   #7
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasquash1984 View Post
this is america, i dont see the problem here
heres the tesla s for those who dont know
Attachment 500690
Good picture. Was seriously surprised and impressed with the car. Wouldn't replace a dedicated sports car, or track car... But man o man could it replace both a cross over and a muscle car. Tonnes of storage, seating for 6, with cool racy looking rear facing kid jump seats and fast. The pull from a standstill was seriously impressive and painful to my neck. My car does the same numbers but far less violently.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:47 PM   #8
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
I hate that car with a passion.
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:27 AM   #9
PHXLT1

Drives: black Z28
id get one but I only have one issue. With it being new tech there won't be anyone with know how or parts available. Cept the dealer which we all know is expensive.
2015 Silverado (mine!)
54 Belair (wife's)
2004 silverado (daughters)
PHXLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:52 AM   #10
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
I gotta strongly disagree on the looks, Camaro takes the win there. I'm sure they are fun but in this world I'll take an engine over electric any day. I can go to a gas station, and in minutes I can fill up enough energy to go hundreds of miles. Electric cars take hours to fill up for barely 100 miles.
For the car enthusiast, it just won't cut it. You can't replicate the sound of an engine. Not only that, but you can't even mod the damn thing. No such thing as bolt ons or turbos lol
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:00 AM   #11
RBD

Drives: 2013 SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
I gotta strongly disagree on the looks, Camaro takes the win there. I'm sure they are fun but in this world I'll take an engine over electric any day. I can go to a gas station, and in minutes I can fill up enough energy to go hundreds of miles. Electric cars take hours to fill up for barely 100 miles.
For the car enthusiast, it just won't cut it. You can't replicate the sound of an engine. Not only that, but you can't even mod the damn thing. No such thing as bolt ons or turbos lol
RBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:38 AM   #12
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
If you live in Cali and a couple of other places, there may be a chance you can get to one of Tesla's charging stations. Obviously for now, it's supposedly free to supercharge (About 30 minutes for 50% charge vs. hours) your Tesla at one of these stations, but if electric cars take off, then I'm sure there will be more. And probably start charging for it too.

But let's do some math (with some assumptions to prevent slide-rule computations). For the current base price of their top model, I could use the approx $28,000 extra over a ZL1 convertible base price to buy about 7000 gallons of $4 premium gas, and at 14 mpg avg for the ZL1, it would START to make financial sense at 98,000 miles on the ZL1 before you plugged your Tesla in for the first time. And say 15 minutes to refuel your ZL1 at 13 gallons per stop, that's about 200 miles. So you'd have to refuel 490 times in that 98,000 miles. About 122 hours to refuel.

At approximately 30 minutes per stop, and let's say 320 miles per charge at 100%, we'll simply assume you could do a 200 mile charge for 50% to keep it even. That's 245 hours to recharge the Tesla for that same distance. So you've spent 5 more DAYS at a fuel stop in about 100,000 miles. If you're a tree-hugger or have deep pockets and won't miss the money, then I guess it makes sense. To me, it doesn't. At least not in 2013.

At least they're trying to attempt an infrastructure to make electric cars viable for road trips. But I keep counting 4 doors and that makes the car look like azz. Still better looking than the Volt, though.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:44 PM   #13
tones2SS

Drives: '13 Roush S3 '16 Ram Sport 4X4
Quote:
I have been a Chevy fan for a long time and had a Hugger Orange SS with white leather interior that I traded in for the 'stang. I got bored with the Camaro.
I like, I mean, love all muscle cars. I'm not one of those that talk trash about any of the American muscle. I am a muscle car fan.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:51 PM   #14
PHXLT1

Drives: black Z28
Its still new tech so if a company can come up with something to mod it then they will. Just like with call phones and other devices they will MAKE you have to buy it. All a company hny has to do is stop makeing spare parts and eventually you will have to go electric. Think about it. My old cell phone worked great! Made calls just find and made great vids and I could text anyone. BUT they stopped making the batteries for it and I had to get an updated cell (which cost more too). That's what I think will be happening with the car industry. I hope I'm wrong though.
2015 Silverado (mine!)
54 Belair (wife's)
2004 silverado (daughters)
PHXLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote