Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 1st & 2nd Generation Camaros

Old 08-06-2018, 04:43 PM   #1
MADNE55

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Know where I'm going not sure how to get there

I just bought a 68 camaro. The direction I'm taking on this is not for show, not for the strip, and not for the track. I just want a bad ass car to drive around and get attention. I've had a gen 5 with 850 rwhp. This one I want to be 1000...simply for bragging rights and to use whenever I get the itch. So I'm strictly street with this and I would like to have some traction with the power and not spin every where.

The one I bought is in rough condition. The only thing that works is the gas pedal. The nicest thing on the car are the brand new tires lol I'm completely restoring the interior and exterior a long with replacing the engine and all that. I'm stuck on the chassis stuff. The look I am going for is the look the G street chassis provides. Wide tires and low to the ground where the wheels tuck up under the rear fender but that is 15k for just the standard chassis. I didnt plan that in my budget. We are putting in a 632ci blueprint engine with a procharger in the car.

My question is do I need a brand new chassis from one of these companies? Or a sub chassis? Or can I obtain what I'm going for with the factory chassis and serious bracing? I dont know enough about what parts will get me what result when it comes to suspension and chassis. Seems to me it's very easy to get what you want with a new chassis but then I feel like I should have just bought my car in pieces rather than one whole car for the price of it all.

Any thoughts or guidence on this is appreciated! Thank you!
MADNE55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:14 PM   #2
Bandit63

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Check out Detroit Speed, they have a lot of suspension stuff for first gens
Old 08-08-2018, 09:02 AM   #3
PROZ11

Drives: 2012 RS/2SS, 69 ProStreet Camaro
If you're not taking it to the track like you stated, there is no reason to put a full frame under it. There are plenty of upgrades available. Besides Detroit Speed mentioned above, there is RideTech, TCI, Chris Alston, etc. You can also mini tub the rear for a much bigger rear tire set up. Lot's of people running 335s. This set up is a third of the price of the full frame and much easier to install. Check out the link.

https://www.jegs.com/i/Ridetech/029/...SABEgKzzPD_BwE

Good luck with your project. Sounds like it's gonna be a beast. Like you, my car is not a show car nor a track car, but it is a blast as a street car.. LOL. I take it to cruise nights and do take it to some shows, but never have it judged. I could care less about trophies, points or what judges think of the car.

Old 08-09-2018, 06:07 PM   #4
MADNE55

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROZ11 View Post
If you're not taking it to the track like you stated, there is no reason to put a full frame under it. There are plenty of upgrades available. Besides Detroit Speed mentioned above, there is RideTech, TCI, Chris Alston, etc. You can also mini tub the rear for a much bigger rear tire set up. Lot's of people running 335s. This set up is a third of the price of the full frame and much easier to install. Check out the link.

https://www.jegs.com/i/Ridetech/029/...SABEgKzzPD_BwE

Good luck with your project. Sounds like it's gonna be a beast. Like you, my car is not a show car nor a track car, but it is a blast as a street car.. LOL. I take it to cruise nights and do take it to some shows, but never have it judged. I could care less about trophies, points or what judges think of the car.

Thanks for the response! The reason I was trying to go full frame was because I want the rear wheels tucked to the rim. Most of the subframes only get me an inch drop. The only thing I can find that will really tuck those wheels is the g street pro touring chassis. I would have to cut the floor and raise it 2 inches and weld it in. The chassis standard is 14,500 but it comes with the new custom floor and roll cage.

Does anyone have any alternate routes that will get me that drop without destroying my range of travel or level of performance? I'd really like to not spend 20k just to get the look I want. I've called Detroit speed, chassis works, and ridetech and it sounds like I have no option but to cut the floor if I want that drop.
MADNE55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:28 AM   #5
PROZ11

Drives: 2012 RS/2SS, 69 ProStreet Camaro
The Ridetech Complete Air Suspension System looks like it gets the car pretty low. I don't know if you're looking to go lower then this. I imagine it is also pretty good ride quality being an air system. It may be worth looking into.

http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...-chevy-camaro/

https://www.jegs.com/i/Ridetech/029/...SABEgIVZ_D_BwE