Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 12-04-2020, 06:40 PM   #1
Mean_Christine

Drives: 2015 1LT/RS Camaro
ZL1 Sway Bar GM Part Numbers

Howdy,

Been perusing the forum on the different setups, wanted to run some part numbers by y'all and get some better info as the four dealers I've called up have conflicting info. I'm looking for the front and rear sways off a ZL1.

Numbers I've grabbed from the forum:
Front Sway: 22812946
Rear Sway:22786260
End Links: 22761221

Here's my dilemma. I want to keep the staggered wheels. The general idea I'm getting on here is it's best to run something smaller in the front. I know the FE6 (above listed front sway) is a larger diameter than the ZL1, FE5, but the part number associated with the FE5 setup I believe to be 22842517.
GMPARTSDIRECT denotes it as F-(S) Shaft, I'm unsure if that's just a weird way of saying something like "front sway shaft" or if there's something more at play here for the MagneRide. So some explanation on that would be greatly appreciated.

Wanted to know if anyone had some clarification on these numbers as the dealers I called up said they had the FE5 number, others said it didn't exist and gave me numbers for a 2016 Camaro so could really use some guys who know or have done it.
Mean_Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 01:43 AM   #2
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
I remember Justice Pete (former suspension guru on this site) saying the rear bar is most important for good handling and a neutral car. These cars have a ton of understeer built in from the factory (for liability reasons) so just upgrading the rear bar to the largest you can find will be good enough. The stock skinny front bar will be fine.

On mine, I upgraded to a Hotchkis F&R bar setup with an adjustable rear bar set to the maximum setting. It's not quite as neutral as with the smaller front bar, but I really like it. There's absolutely no lean in turns and it feels very solid at higher speeds.

Of course, this doesn't help you since you want to go with a ZL1 bar setup. However, for the money you're going to spend on a stock ZL1 rear bar, I'd get an adjustable aftermarket rear bar instead. That will make the car feel very stable in handling and I think you will like it a lot.

I went with a big bar in the front because I liked the feel. It reminds me of the Z51 equipped C4's I used to drive. You can also go to a big bar in the front like I did and I think you will like it as well. I wouldn't invest any money on the stock ZL1 stuff especially the rear bar. At the very least, get an adjustable aftermarket rear sway bar and endlinks. That way, you can dial in the handling to your specs on your staggered setup.

Just my $.02.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 01:39 PM   #3
Shifty1

Drives: 2015 Red ZL1
The rear # is correct. Just looked at the tag on my stock bar... mine is for sale btw...
Shifty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 08:35 PM   #4
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
If you can find a 1LE, JPSS 32mm, or a DSE 35mm rear bar an pair it with a ZL1 bar that will be your best setup Bar wise, Pete stated 5-6mm difference is the hot ticket.
So the DSE bar is hollow an is about the same torsional resistance as the solid 32mm but much lighter ask me how I know LOL!!!
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 11:11 PM   #5
mikeman
Banned

The ZL1 rear bar won't work anyway because you have the smaller V6 brakes and the rear calipers will hit the factory ZL1/1LE rear sway bar.

Unless you find a uses JPSS 32mm solid rear bar, which is like finding a needle in a haystack, you willl need to upgrade to brembos to make the factory bars work. Same with the DSE 35mm bar, I believe.

The only other bar that will work with the V6 rear calipers is the Hotchkis bar, but you will have to get the extended adjustable endlinks.
Old 12-08-2020, 09:52 PM   #6
Mean_Christine

Hey y'all thanks so much for the great info! I read what y'all recommended and said, ended up going ahead and ordering the Hotchkis rear sway bar. I talked with a couple other V6 owners who have done a rear sway and the Hotchkis, with their end links, works on the stock brakes.

As for the fronts, I'll be on the watch for some 1LE bars most likely, just because I may go to a square setup in the future, but as for now I think brakes would be the best option.

Thanks for y'alls input!
Old 12-08-2020, 10:25 PM   #7
Mean_Christine

For future reference on the fronts, the end links seem to be 10mm on the V6, 12mm on SS and such. Is this correct or am I getting my years mixed up and the 2015 V6 is good to swap in the bar?

Thank y'all again!

Last edited by Mean_Christine; 12-08-2020 at 10:26 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 12-09-2020, 04:10 AM   #8
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 Z/28 ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean_Christine View Post
For future reference on the fronts, the end links seem to be 10mm on the V6, 12mm on SS and such. Is this correct or am I getting my years mixed up and the 2015 V6 is good to swap in the bar?

Thank y'all again!
The front end links on your year V6 are 12mm. They changed from 10 to 12 a few years earlier. I had done the same and ordered new frt endlinks for my 14’ V6 swaybar swap and found this out. I still have those endlinks in my parts pile as they are the exact same for my Z28. So save your $.
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 06:48 AM   #9
mikeman
Banned

Yeah, the front endlinks are all the same (12mm) from '12 on up. The Hotchkis rear bar is a great setup!
Old 12-09-2020, 09:19 AM   #10
Mean_Christine

Awesome information! Thank y'all again so much for the help and great pointers!