Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 08-15-2014, 08:48 PM   #15
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Redline users good luck, you'll need it.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:50 PM   #16
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
Redline users good luck, you'll need it.
Can u elaborate plz?
Share your story if you must, for the better of the good.

We aren't here to hold hands you know .
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:45 PM   #17
14DPTcamaro1le

Drives: 2014 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
Can u elaborate plz?
Share your story if you must, for the better of the good.

We aren't here to hold hands you know .
Just ask the dude...he knows best
Old 08-15-2014, 10:01 PM   #18
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14DPTcamaro1le View Post
Just ask the dude...he knows best
Like I said.

Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 03:32 AM   #19
Scotty D

Drives: 2014 1le 1SS CRMT
I've used Redline in the past and never had a problem ! But thanks
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:01 AM   #20
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
Going to let the dealer put in whatever they deem is needed for warranty purposes. The cap says dexos, so I am sure that is what they will use. I have used M1 in other cars before, but they specifically called for it too.
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 12:25 PM   #21
CamaroTom

Drives: 1/70 2013 BRM 2SS RS 1LE NPP NAV
AMSOIL SS 5W30
Old 08-16-2014, 01:41 PM   #22
redsled

Drives: 2013 ss/1le
I just dumped 5w-40 penzoil ultra in mine. 83 bucks with a wix filter.
redsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:29 PM   #23
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Here's what 45 years of experience have taught me. YMMV, and I'm OK with that.

You have purchased four Dexos1 semi-syn dealer oil changes with your car. Might as well take advantage of that to get rid of the break-in contaminants. Pick whatever intervals flip your switch. For me the first two were at 1,000 and 4,000. The next two will probably be at 8,000 and 12,000. Then I will switch to DIY and full synthetic. Stick with the manufacturer recommended weight. If they want you to use 5W-30, use 5W-30. Heavier is not better. Lighter is not better. There are reasons they spec what they spec.

Again, pick any Tier One brand. They all work just fine. I happen to like M1 and Pennzoil. XOM and Shell will always put out competent products. XOM is an American company if that means anything to you. Shell is not. Pennzoil's new GTL oil is made in Qatar. Which do you want to support? If it makes you feel good to waste money on a pricey boutique brand, that's OK, they will work too, just know you're wasting money. Use a solid standard filter. The AC Delco filter is nothing special but it works. So do just about any of the others. I like Wix/Napa Gold-a well made filter that just works and can be purchased in bulk at a discount.

After your first DIY service, run the OLM down to 0%, take a sample and send it off to a lab for a UOA. Spend a few extra bucks to get a TBN reading. That will tell you how much of the additives have been used up. By doing this, you are confirming the accuracy of the OLM. Once you've backed it up with a test, you can confidently use it for your OCIs. Repeat as needed.

Last edited by Indydriver; 08-16-2014 at 02:51 PM.
Indydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:30 PM   #24
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
Looks like everyone has a favorite OIL . FYI if you run a free flow oil charged air filter expect high silicate number on your oil sample .
Old 08-17-2014, 01:14 PM   #25
Andy-AMSOIL

Drives: bicycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by GONIF View Post
Looks like everyone has a favorite OIL . FYI if you run a free flow oil charged air filter expect high silicate number on your oil sample .
True that everyone has a favorite oil, but is everyone looking at how each oil properties are designed, example TBN levels, ZDDP levels, flash points, and other ASTM data points that may lead you down a path of Oil X is of better quality than Oil Z... I've heard a lot the say that all oils are the same, this comment is purely incorrect.. oil is a product like everything else good quality products are used to make them and inferior products as well.
Andy-AMSOIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:53 PM   #26
14DPTcamaro1le

Drives: 2014 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydriver View Post
Here's what 45 years of experience have taught me. YMMV, and I'm OK with that.

You have purchased four Dexos1 semi-syn dealer oil changes with your car. Might as well take advantage of that to get rid of the break-in contaminants. Pick whatever intervals flip your switch. For me the first two were at 1,000 and 4,000. The next two will probably be at 8,000 and 12,000. Then I will switch to DIY and full synthetic. Stick with the manufacturer recommended weight. If they want you to use 5W-30, use 5W-30. Heavier is not better. Lighter is not better. There are reasons they spec what they spec.

Again, pick any Tier One brand. They all work just fine. I happen to like M1 and Pennzoil. XOM and Shell will always put out competent products. XOM is an American company if that means anything to you. Shell is not. Pennzoil's new GTL oil is made in Qatar. Which do you want to support? If it makes you feel good to waste money on a pricey boutique brand, that's OK, they will work too, just know you're wasting money. Use a solid standard filter. The AC Delco filter is nothing special but it works. So do just about any of the others. I like Wix/Napa Gold-a well made filter that just works and can be purchased in bulk at a discount.

After your first DIY service, run the OLM down to 0%, take a sample and send it off to a lab for a UOA. Spend a few extra bucks to get a TBN reading. That will tell you how much of the additives have been used up. By doing this, you are confirming the accuracy of the OLM. Once you've backed it up with a test, you can confidently use it for your OCIs. Repeat as needed.

Before posting this thread I overlooked the fact that my brother is a test engineer for a diesel engine company that starts with the big C. So i had him ask the opinion of different technicians he works with...basically said the same thing you did, but added that GM uses that oil during the testing of their engines and if it wasnt up to par they wouldnt offer it....so i went with the free oil change this time around!
Old 08-17-2014, 08:59 PM   #27
29er

Drives: 14 1LE Garage King
mobil1 full synth.
29er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:02 PM   #28
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14DPTcamaro1le View Post
Before posting this thread I overlooked the fact that my brother is a test engineer for a diesel engine company that starts with the big C. So i had him ask the opinion of different technicians he works with...basically said the same thing you did, but added that GM uses that oil during the testing of their engines and if it wasnt up to par they wouldnt offer it....so i went with the free oil change this time around!
Most everyone overlooks that fact. They tested what they are using and have to stand behind the warranty.

Everyone has a favorite brand. Whether it's an educated decision or not. Spend more money if it makes you feel better. Many people also change the oil way too often. Again, spend more money if it makes you feel better.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote