Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 06-01-2008, 07:11 PM   #1
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
Getting a dog from the dog pound

Any of you guys ever done it?

I went to the dog pound today with Mom-s and I fell in love with this really timid Pit. He's 2 years old and he was shivering as if he was frightened. The lady I spoke to that works there told me he was the sweetest dog they have right now, so I wanted to see him. He's also on meds for some skin problem. Normally you're not suppose to pet the dogs as some of them are pretty aggressive and will exercise their god given ability to bite, but she said he was ok so I took the risk, and what a sweet sweet dog he was. I'm just afraid not knowing his history what kind of problems he could potentially have. It says on his info card that he gets along great with people but maybe not with other animals. He's a stray, not a dog who was turned over by his/her owner. Getting a puppy from a breeder is the way I'd go ordinarily, but so many of these poor dogs in the pound sit there only to be euthanized when the staff realizes they have yet to be adopted after sitting in there for months on end (or for however long they're in there). It's a mixed bag, and with a puppy you have the ability to shape the dogs personality, much more so than with a dog who's been around for a little while.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:43 PM   #2
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
I'm all for rescuing any dog from any where. I've rescued two Coon Hounds. But We've gotten two cats from the pound.

Here are a couple thoughts for you. One of our cats had worms and they didn't tell us. A couple hundred bucks to fix that. Our vet tried to help us get the pound to pay for it, but we got the run around. Luckily that is the worst experience we've had. But, I've heard some doosies where the pound is concerned.

The other thing I would consider, If the dog/pup has to integrate into you house quickly then you are running the risk that there may be big problems. Especially if you already have pets or small children who may accidentally anger the new dog. You may find yourself having to take em back. And that really sucks. Now, if you have land or shelter you can use to help buy you some time while you train the new dog than great, go for it.

I know you've already bonded with the dog. But skin problems are real scary, especially where kids and other dogs are concerned. That stuff can be highly contagious. I'd be very cautions and have the pound sign a waiver that if your vet says it is dangerous to people or pets, they have to take him back.

If I were you I'd consider a Dog rescue for Pits, if that's what you want. Normally they will check to see if the dog is good with cats, kids, other dogs, in most cases you can find one that is house broken and kennel trained. The Black and Tan we just got was fixed, had all her shots and worming done, house trained, Kennel trained, good with kids, cats and other dogs. The only problem We've had with her is she is always looking for food and will get up on the counters to find it. Other than that she's perfect. We paid $200 for Her.

Again, just something to think about.

http://www.pbrc.net/
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 07:52 PM   #3
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post

Again, just something to think about.

http://www.pbrc.net/
Wow, thanks! I'll keep that website handy!
Old 06-01-2008, 08:26 PM   #4
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Wow. The more I read PRRC.net the more I HATE Micheal Vick. So many expletives come to mind, but I won't type them here. Obviously.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:43 PM   #5
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
my fiance had a dog she adopted before we got together, she told me that chutney had been beaten and abused by prior owner. and spent over $2,000.00 on medical bills cus she had heartworms and more than that replacing the blinds and other household stuff that she tore up. but she wouldnt leave her for anything. then we got a purebred basset hound who is just over a year old now, and while she's the cutest thing you've ever seen, she's also the baddest little thing. she's torn up the new couches downstairs and chewed up the dining room table and chairs, not to mention the entertainment center in the living room. but all said and done, she's still a good dog and no longer chews on the furniture, she still defecates in the house, but its only when the fiance and i are out for extended periods of time. she and i were talking the other day about when chutney passes on that we wouldnt get another dog from a breeder but will adopt one from the pound. too many animals out there already, no need to basically sentence them to death from not adopting one.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 05:59 AM   #6
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotsman View Post
Wow. The more I read PRRC.net the more I HATE Micheal Vick. So many expletives come to mind, but I won't type them here. Obviously.
No kidding,

Sometimes I think sites like this play the emotional thing a bit too heavily. But the fact remains the dogs need homes.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 07:04 AM   #7
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
I'm an avid dog lover (actually I like most animals...but not necessarily all breeds of all animals!) and I can tell you this much...if you have not watched a dozen episodes of Cesar Milan, then you are missing out on some amazing information on how to successfully integrate a new animal to your home.

A few tips: Walk the dog, for at least a mile, before bringing him to your home. Especially with him being a nervous one this will help him bond with you more than any other action you can do. It's a fundamental thing for dogs to exercise to get them in a calm state of mind. Also, once he's home and he gets nervous, don't pet him or coo to him. This seems very against your nature but what that does is re-enforce that behavior....think about it like this, he gets nervous and scared and you pet him and soothe him, but in his mind you are rewarding that behavior with praise. Instead, get his mind off what is making him nervous by walking him or distracting him with a favorite activity.

Basically he's scared because he's unsure about something. The best way to fight this is to make sure he knows you are pack leader which makes a mutual trusting bond between you....so when he's scared, but you're nearby and broadcast dominance of the situation, he will calm down over time.

This can also really help the basset pup mentioned above, but then again...it's a hound, that's what they do when they're adolescent.
Just my tips, I'm no expert, but I like to think I have been around enough to have a good idea.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote