Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 02-02-2010, 09:14 PM   #1
nachocheese

Drives: 1LT RS, SIM
Rattle in the headliner

I have noticed an annoying rattle in my headliner when I go over bumps or ride at certain speeds. It is just behind the sunvisor. I can stop it by pushing up on the headliner. Anybody have this problem? I'd love a DIY fix as I hate sending cars to the dealer to find mystery rattles. I worry that they will screw it up by pulling panels off.
nachocheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:39 PM   #2
kurt_ots

Drives: 2010 2LT CGM RS
I have the same problem starting and the same worry with them messing with the headlner. I have the sun roof in my 2LT and thought that was the problem at first. It is actually coming from the headliner behind the passenger sun visor and I can get it to stop by pushing up on the headliner.
kurt_ots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:34 AM   #3
nachocheese

Drives: 1LT RS, SIM
I took mine to the dealer. They said they couldn't hear it, and of course it didn't do it while I was there with them. I got it home and devised my own solution. I found where it was by pushing up on the headliner with one finger. I then was able to get my hand up underneath the headliner by pulling aside the rubber trim around the sunroof. It felt like there was some sort of insulation that had pulled loose from the adhesive. I took a small (clean) shop rag and stuffed it in the area where the rattle is. I made sure it was flattened out so it did not leave a bump or anything. I have not heard the rattle since. Now when someone is tearing down my car to restore it in 30 years, they will scratch their heads and say, "how the heck did that get in here."
nachocheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:31 PM   #4
Superman09
Account SNAFU

Drives: 13 Tahoe 79 Scout II 15 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachocheese View Post
Now when someone is tearing down my car to restore it in 30 years, they will scratch their heads and say, "how the heck did that get in here."
You would be surprised the things we have found in cars. The weirdest was a 30" long 1/2" extension in the springs of the rear seat of a 05 Cady DeVille
Superman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:41 PM   #5
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
[QUOTE=nachocheese;1530984]I took mine to the dealer. They said they couldn't hear it, and of course it didn't do it while I was there with them. I got it home and devised my own solution. I found where it was by pushing up on the headliner with one finger. I then was able to get my hand up underneath the headliner by pulling aside the rubber trim around the sunroof. It felt like there was some sort of insulation that had pulled loose from the adhesive. I took a small (clean) shop rag and stuffed it in the area where the rattle is. I made sure it was flattened out so it did not leave a bump or anything. I have not heard the rattle since. Now when someone is tearing down my car to restore it in 30 years, they will scratch their heads and say, "how the heck did that get in here."[/QUOTE]

...greater surprise if you stuff a pair of women's undergarment in there.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:42 PM   #6
hairymike

Drives: LT2 RS ABM/WS 6M Pirelli P-Zero 20"
When I worked in my brothers body shop we found a nut tied with wire and tack welded hanging inside a rear quarter panel in a 10 year old Caddy. The owner claimed the car made a rattle noise he could hear mostly when the window was open since new but the dealer could never find it. He solved it by always using a/c in the summer and playing the radio. Apparently an irate body assembler decided to make a Caddy owner go nuts. UAW have a weird sense of humor I guess.
hairymike is offline   Reply With Quote