Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-11-2010, 12:30 PM   #1
Hitter11

Drives: 2010 Black Chevrolet 2SS/RS Camaro
Exhaust help needed

So, I have done endless searches on this topic and have not really been able to find an answer to my exhaust questions.

The last vehicle I had the exhaust modified for was my 2004 VW R32 (V6). It seemed to be a bit more simple to find what I wanted for the type of gains I was looking for (ie High-Flow Cat and Catback were perfect for low-end torque gains). For that specific vehicle headers were pointless for the amount of gain vs the amount of money needed to be spent.

Here is my predicament... I have the LS3 Camaro and am looking for low-end torque gains and a deeper, throatier sound (but I don't want raspy). I know I need to look into the different companies for the sound I am looking for but my question is what type parts should I be looking at for a low-end torque gain?

The reason I ask is because there seems to be so many options (ie headers, high-flow cat, catback, axle back, x-pipe, etc) and I am not sure what the benefits are for each of these. I'm not very techy so when I have found the data on these I'm not sure how to understand them.

I've also noticed many people on the forums have many different combinations, which ends up confusing me more.

In short: What combination of exhaust components will give me what I'm looking for with the best gains and without bankrupting me?

Thanks in advance! I know my lack of knowledge on the topic can be a bit annoying.
Hitter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:00 PM   #2
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Do you have emmissions laws that you need to follow? What kind of budget are you trying to keep? Any mod's already done? What kind of low end torque are you trying to get?
Old 03-11-2010, 01:05 PM   #3
StrangeMan

Drives: 2SS SIM/Blk
Send a message via Yahoo to StrangeMan
People here have found that no exhaust is going to give you any noticable performance gains, only sound. The long tube headers will give you HP/TQ.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:11 PM   #4
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeMan View Post
People here have found that no exhaust is going to give you any noticable performance gains, only sound. The long tube headers will give you HP/TQ.
+1 if it's an LS3
Old 03-11-2010, 01:44 PM   #5
g-townmach
I FARTED

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
If what you're after is low end torque, you need to do gears first.

Longtubes and tune will give you more low end. Catback will be little to no gain or even a loss.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:26 PM   #6
hokiedee

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS manual silver w/blk
I just did a Magnaflow Axle back #16582 $360 and a Tru Resonated X Pipe $79, #11386. I am not sure if there are any gains, but the sound and tone are great. The X Pipe replace your H Pipe and controls decel popping.
hokiedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:38 PM   #7
Roger Ramjet
Motor Head

Drives: CTS-V
The least expensive route is cut the mufflers off and install a pair of short glass pack mufflers (4 x 8 in). That will get you the deep mellow sound you asked for.

However, that will not produce any low RPM torque increase. To increase torque, the H pipe must go. Cut the H out and replace with straight pipe.

DO NOT USE A X-PIPE! That will produce a high RPM torque gain.

A tune will net a bigger torque gain below 3000 RPM than the exhaust mods.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:14 PM   #8
Hitter11

I'm not exactly sure of Illinois' emission laws but I know they are much more lax compared to California for example.

In terms of the gain, it doesn't have to be extreme just a bit more than it is when the car is stock. The increase I am looking for would be in the 2000-3000 rpm range (but the gain from the exhaust would suffice I would assume). I forgot to mention this before but I am planning on doing the combination, whatever that will be, all at the same time. So if that turns out to be headers and a catback, a high-flow cat and a catback, or all three I will be doing them together. I just don't want to do something that isn't going to give me what I am looking for. So, if the high-flow cat (for example) isn't going to help with the sound I want or the increase I want then I won't spend the money on it. (hopefully what I am saying makes sense... sorry if it isn't)

Right now my car is stock but I am looking to do a CAI and then an ECU flash once I have the exhaust installed.

Thanks for the input so far!
Old 03-11-2010, 04:28 PM   #9
chevyss
SS/RS

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM w/blk stripes A6
I beg to differ about the performance improvement after install of headers. There was a great difference on before and after. Then it really came alive with the CAI kit. Big difference.
chevyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:46 PM   #10
Roger Ramjet
Motor Head

Drives: CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitter11 View Post
The increase I am looking for would be in the 2000-3000 rpm range (but the gain from the exhaust would suffice I would assume).
The ECM program limits torque below 3000 RPM. Because of that I would expect no noticeable gain from exhaust and/or CAI Below 3000 without a tune - above that without a tune, YES.

The tune alone will produce the torque increase you are looking for.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:37 PM   #11
Hitter11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Ramjet View Post
The ECM program limits torque below 3000 RPM. Because of that I would expect no noticeable gain from exhaust and/or CAI Below 3000 without a tune - above that without a tune, YES.

The tune alone will produce the torque increase you are looking for.
Cool... how much does a tune generally cost? And when the car is tuned what is the focus?
Old 03-11-2010, 08:52 PM   #12
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
It will give you some more power and eliminate the torque management that reduces power to something like 30% when you bang into the next gear.

But remember. Tune=voided warranty.
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:16 PM   #13
Hitter11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
It will give you some more power and eliminate the torque management that reduces power to something like 30% when you bang into the next gear.

But remember. Tune=voided warranty.
Ahh...not so much a fan of that option.