Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 05-24-2014, 10:10 PM   #15
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Yeah. I skimmed through his "manifesto" of 140 pages, and the guy was seriously disturbed. It states several times that he went on rants around friends and they just didn't understand. Same with family. Apparently shortly before these murders, he had see his psychologist, and gotten prescribed medication, which he didn't take.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:14 PM   #16
moserbe

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
This guy was quite the maniac. First he stabs 3 room mates to death and then runs people over with his car while shooting others. He didn't care what weapon he used, he just wanted the end result.....death.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:58 PM   #17
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
The news gets saturated with stories like this...and unfortunately, one of the stories that is really getting overlooked is the 3 roommates that were stabbed to death. I guess gun deaths are sexy to the news, knife deaths aren't.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/3-stab...ay-area/nf7Hh/
Old 05-25-2014, 11:15 PM   #18
moserbe

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
The news gets saturated with stories like this...and unfortunately, one of the stories that is really getting overlooked is the 3 roommates that were stabbed to death. I guess gun deaths are sexy to the news, knife deaths aren't.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/3-stab...ay-area/nf7Hh/
You know it. More people are killed with knives than guns.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:02 AM   #19
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
Quote:
Chris died because of craven, irresponsible politicians and the NRA.
That really sums up everything. God forbid we blame the person actually responsible. Instead, we'll blame everything else under the sun. I understand the father is grieving, but really?

"What is a moderate interpretation of the text? Halfway between what it really means and what you'd like it to mean?" -Antonin Scalia
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:27 AM   #20
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
I wish we, as a people, could convince every news outlet out there to quit giving any mention of the perpetrator's that commit these heinous acts. I don't give two sh*ts why the person did what he did, or what contributed to his rage induced killing spree. Refer to these swine as 'the suspect' and leave it at that. I don't want to know his/her name. I don't want to hear his/her family's statement. I don't want to hear from his/her friends about how he/she was a loner or depressed all the time.

In situations like these, the ONLY thing that the media should be focused on is honoring the victims and encouraging people to be vigilant and aware of their surroundings and to report anything suspicious to the authorities.

Too many deranged and/or depressed individuals see the idolization of these mass-murder suspects/criminals and see that as a viable method to become famous. We need to make it a point NOT to report the perpetrator's name. Ever. Make it a point to send a message that we will not make these idiots famous anymore. I firmly believe that will reduce the number of mass shootings. Will it stop them outright? Probably not. But I'm convinced it will reduce the frequency and severity of the incidents.

But as we all know, that wouldn't fit into the current media anti-gun "agenda" so we can expect to see criminal's names and faces plastered all over our TV's and newspapers every time something like this happens. It makes me sick.

I'm sorry if that ventures too far into "political" but it's an issue that really, really irritates and infuriates me.

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:39 AM   #21
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalimus View Post
That really sums up everything. God forbid we blame the person actually responsible. Instead, we'll blame everything else under the sun. I understand the father is grieving, but really?
I actually changed the channel when I heard the kid's father say that. I feel bad for him and I hope I never go through what he's experiencing but come on.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:31 AM   #22
detamble13

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3 VR
Sad. I agree that the name of the shooter should remain anonymous but more has to change to make a difference. I'm not saying let's take away everyone's gun but let's be honest here this will happen again because nothing will change.
How would you feel if your child was murdered? Would your first thought be your gun rights?
detamble13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:52 AM   #23
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
Quote:
Originally Posted by detamble13 View Post
Sad. I agree that the name of the shooter should remain anonymous but more has to change to make a difference. I'm not saying let's take away everyone's gun but let's be honest here this will happen again because nothing will change.
How would you feel if your child was murdered? Would your first thought be your gun rights?
My first thought is always that people are the problem. It's not guns. It's apparently not knives either. Guns are just easy to attack. The father was outraged, and rightly so. I can't imagine losing a child like that. However, his anger was misplaced. The gun was just the tool of choice, just as the knife was the tool for choice for three others.

But where was his outrage at the individual? What about the lack of action when his parents reported him? The lack of action with all of the signs... videos and written statements. Can anyone seriously say that the police didn't have every right to throw that loser in jail after publically announcing how he wants to kill people?

But hypothetically, lets say there would be a prohibition on guns. Then what? Let's even hypothetically say that no gun murders ever happen again. What about the tens of thousands of other murders with other tools, or the murders with tools that will replace guns. Do we perform background checks and sanity checks for knives? What about chemicals that can be used to poison (this happens a surprising amount each year). What about when cars are used? Or is that ok because it's rare? How about other inanimate objects... bats, crowbars, wrenches.... What is to be done about those? How many objects need to be addressed before we, as a society, are capable of admitting and addressing that we have a lot of problems (mental health and otherwise) that are driving people to do this kind of terrible thing?

You are certainly right, this will happen again. Crazed people have been killing each other since the time they figured they could pick up rocks. The focus needs to be on the crazy, not the tool. The common denominator is ALWAYS a person.

"What is a moderate interpretation of the text? Halfway between what it really means and what you'd like it to mean?" -Antonin Scalia
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:22 PM   #24
shine2013

Drives: 2008 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
Very true.

I mean, you look at posts like these...which could be on any Forum anywhere. I'm not sure I'd report a post like this to police.

It sounds like he is the son of the assistant director of Hunger Games.
Sad to read that. Then he injected race into it. Just love yourself, be positive, and other people will follow. If someone told him that then all of this could have been prevented.
shine2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:51 PM   #25
detamble13

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalimus View Post
My first thought is always that people are the problem. It's not guns. It's apparently not knives either. Guns are just easy to attack. The father was outraged, and rightly so. I can't imagine losing a child like that. However, his anger was misplaced. The gun was just the tool of choice, just as the knife was the tool for choice for three others.

But where was his outrage at the individual? What about the lack of action when his parents reported him? The lack of action with all of the signs... videos and written statements. Can anyone seriously say that the police didn't have every right to throw that loser in jail after publically announcing how he wants to kill people?

But hypothetically, lets say there would be a prohibition on guns. Then what? Let's even hypothetically say that no gun murders ever happen again. What about the tens of thousands of other murders with other tools, or the murders with tools that will replace guns. Do we perform background checks and sanity checks for knives? What about chemicals that can be used to poison (this happens a surprising amount each year). What about when cars are used? Or is that ok because it's rare? How about other inanimate objects... bats, crowbars, wrenches.... What is to be done about those? How many objects need to be addressed before we, as a society, are capable of admitting and addressing that we have a lot of problems (mental health and otherwise) that are driving people to do this kind of terrible thing?

You are certainly right, this will happen again. Crazed people have been killing each other since the time they figured they could pick up rocks. The focus needs to be on the crazy, not the tool. The common denominator is ALWAYS a person.
Blaming a group like the NRA may not be the right way direct his anger. However, asking a question like "where is his anger towards this individual" is definitely not addressing the issue correctly. He should just be mad at the person (who is also dead) and try to deal with his loss that way? He's trying to prevent this from happening again and directing anger at someone who no longer exists does nothing.
I'm not a legal expert but his rants may have been enough to put him behind bars... not sure. What I am sure of is there are several more individuals just as crazy as this one. They can be hard to identlfy and not all crazy people have ill intentions. So what should be done with people that have mental disorders... limit their access to effective killing tools.
detamble13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:02 PM   #26
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by detamble13 View Post
...So what should be done with people that have mental disorders... limit their access to effective killing tools.
While I agree that limiting guns to mentally unstable people should be a high priority, the reality is, people want to use this as a reason to limit guns to all citizens, not just mentally unstable.

And on top of that, how do you determine who is mentally unstable? In most cases, the mentally unstable are not labeled as so until after they do something to be classified as mentally unstable.

Should we test every person who turns 18 to see if they're mentally stable? Or should we start at 16 and test every year until they're 21?

Where do you draw the line?

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:13 PM   #27
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
i don't know, and i don't know what's happend to people in the last 20 years that they think this is alright. lots of people are alone or picked on at school and grew up and it never occured to them to go on a killing spree. It's not like you can just say society has changed and condone's this behaviour and therefore it happens, because no one condone's it.
On the other hand i've always been basically pro-gun rights, but in the past year, listening to the representatives of these organizations i've really had it with them too. They don't want any laws, and i'd like to know how connected they are to the manufacturer's too. Their idea is 'everyone should carry'. yeah right. If you have one you better keep an eye on it at all times if you carry it somewhere.
There's a lot of people that seem to be worshiping at the altar of the gun. I have this feeling if an Angel came down from Heaven and said "okay i have the power to take all guns from bad and good people, will you give me yours?" Some of these people would say "NOT Mine ! "
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 04:15 PM   #28
LogicFan

Drives: N/A
Could have been prevented, but no one helped him his whole life apparently(it seems like) to do something for it. He stabbed 50% of them and then shot 3 people btw if you didn't know the real story. Sad to see that someone had the money to help him didn't bother and now look what he did, he was obviously "not there".
LogicFan is offline   Reply With Quote