Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 01-14-2015, 08:46 PM   #1
lownslowss
PaPa Smurf

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Lay offs

Well, now that oil is at an all time low, Houston is having major lay offs. I was lucky enough to be a part of it this morning. Who else is going through this? Anyone know of opportunities around htown? I'm a centifugal and frac pump mechanic. Job hunting all day. The worst part is having to put my cam and head swap on hold. Oh well. Good luck everyone.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:50 PM   #2
Wileycoyote

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
Best of luck to you. Hate to hear this happen to anyone.
Wileycoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:52 PM   #3
lownslowss
PaPa Smurf

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
I'm in somewhat good spirits. The company gave a semi decent severance and I have a couple interviews set up.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:56 PM   #4
Bretts
SS

Drives: 2015 2ss rs
We are on the verge up here power engineering for a sinking ship a junior sagd plant, told the chief I would stay till the end then I hope for a job somewhere! ticketed millwright/power engineer for hire soon lol!
Bretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:03 PM   #5
1badtie

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
never thought I would have to worry about gas getting too low, but ya if it continues to drop it might not be good for me

2010 2SS RS --- SOLD
MODS-
Performance: BMR trailing arms & bushings | BMR Toe links | X-pipe | Muffler delete | Vmax ported throttle body | Apex "strong" MAS | Vararam CAI | Apex catch can | Kooks Headers | Kooks HF Cats | Dyno tuned by GPI 417 RWHP 409 FT-Lb
Cosmetic: painted Zl1 rockers | Zl1 grill | AAC side markers | AAC LED backup lights | windows tint | taillight tint | JDP tow hook | all emblems blacked out | LED fogs
1badtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:44 PM   #6
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
It is going to be a rough one... My office is committing me to a rotation on a rig for stability... Those without rotations in my line of work will be hurting...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 12:49 AM   #7
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
It's funny how somethings in the economy will kill some jobs and prosper others and then when there is a swing it goes the other way. Just how it works I guesss. If your in the automotive industry you've got job security at the moment. Car manufactures are selling every car they build and then some.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 05:37 AM   #8
Bulldog3071

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Best of luck, try one of the chemical companies, I used to work at one and we where always looking for good engineers, mill wrights, welders etc. hope all goes well.
Lakewood Strut Tower Brace, JBA Shorty Headers, JBA 8 MM Wires, Airaid TB Spacer, Phastek CAI Scoop, Washer Bottle Relocation Kit, Stainlees Steel Brake Lines, Brake Performance Slotted and Drilled Rotors, BMR Tunnel Brace, BMR Trailing Arms, BMR Subframe Connectors, Borla ATAK Muffelers, Z28 Wickerbill Spoiler, VTC, Bow Tie Delete, BMR Adjustable Front Swaybar, BMR End Link Kit, BMR Extreme Rear Anti-Roll Kit, Diablo I1000 "InTune"
Bulldog3071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 06:48 AM   #9
IH8OPEC
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Drives: 2010 VR/W 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo White View Post
It's funny how somethings in the economy will kill some jobs and prosper others and then when there is a swing it goes the other way. Just how it works I guesss. If your in the automotive industry you've got job security at the moment. Car manufactures are selling every car they build and then some.
I beg to differ Bo! I was just let go (Friday 1-16-15) from my automotive field service Engineer position by one of your suppliers! The kicker is I was transferred to GA BY my company and well... there aren't many automotive jobs here that will actually pay the bills plus no severance what so ever!
Old 01-15-2015, 07:31 AM   #10
malave7567

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS
Had to watch some friends get cut, but fortunately, was spared the axe this time around. There's definitely a lot of guys in Houston looking for new work.
malave7567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 07:40 AM   #11
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Good luck, bro. Know that sucks. Was at Ma Bell until it was deregulated. Ended up being kind of a blessing really, although didn't seem like it at the time. Led to me eventually becoming an engineer for a company that makes accelerometers for screen rotation and tap in cell phones, and video game controllers. Luckily, don't see that going away any time soon.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 07:58 AM   #12
PHXLT1

Drives: black Z28
Sorry to hear that. Before the economy took a dump a few years ago, i had a well paying office job. Lost my job and had to find something paying less than half as much, but i made it work and all my bills got paid and food was on the table. Funny thing is, i was watching people on tv saying they couldn't find jobs and there was nothing out there. During the 5 months of my layoff i found 3 jobs and took the one i thought best would serve me for the future. After 3 years there i was called back to an old job that i worked many years at, worked my way back up, and now I'm a manager and doing well again. Because of all my expierence and job knowledge, it took me just under 4 years. My point is, you're expierence and dedication will bring you back to where you were. Hang in there, don't give up, and good luck.
2015 Silverado (mine!)
54 Belair (wife's)
2004 silverado (daughters)
PHXLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:53 AM   #13
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
Good luck wish ya the best!
Old 01-15-2015, 11:13 AM   #14
Desertion

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS Transformer Edition
I'm sorry you were part of the unlucky group, west texas got hit pretty hard with lay-offs too. My dad was part of his companies over 50% lay-offs, he was a drilling rig operator. I also got a little taste of it, was working 12 hour days now cut down to 8.