Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 03-04-2014, 12:22 PM   #1
Rudy@Tirerack

Drives: 1-800-428-8355 X4664
Pirelli P Zero Summer Tires driven in cold - Can I have your attention please?

Guys and Gals,

There have been lots of threads asking about using the original equipment Pirelli Summer tires in the cold or snow. Tire Rack never recommends using Summer tires below 45 Fahrenheit. Summer tires become hard and the grip drastically decreases.

There have been some forum members arguing that you can use these tires in colder temperatures.

We have recently seen cases of these tires having compound cracking due to the tires being stored/driven on in temperatures below 45 Fahrenheit.

This is not a condition that Pirell's warranty covers.

Summer tires are not intended to be driven in cold/snow or ice. Not only is traction a huge issue it can also damage your tires.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited by Rudy@Tirerack; 03-05-2014 at 07:39 AM.
Rudy@Tirerack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:46 PM   #2
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
I understand they're not meant to be driven in cold temps, but are you saying even storing/parking Pzero's or other max summer tires in sub freezing temps can damage them? What about those of us with unheated garages?
Chevy_cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:51 PM   #3
Chi-One

Drives: 2013 DUSK Special Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_cowboy View Post
I understand they're not meant to be driven in cold temps, but are you saying even storing/parking Pzero's or other max summer tires in sub freezing temps can damage them? What about those of us with unheated garages?

?
Old 03-04-2014, 07:10 PM   #4
Edzo

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS and 63 Impala
Cold tires have no grip. See Roberto Guerrero in 1992 Indy 500. My ass-end slid a little the other day going about 17 mph on a left turn. No cracks, just have to be cognizant that your tires have no grip until they warm up.
Edzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:49 PM   #5
Baldman
EMERALD COAST CAMAROS

Drives: None
Hey bud it's cold all over the place even here in Florida and telling me not to drive my Camaro in this stupid weather is ridiculous.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:05 PM   #6
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
I have driven in single digit temps on my pzero's. They have less grip but they have less grip in the rain also. I drive accordingly. No signs of cracking. I can't find any warning in the owners manual about driving in the cold on these tires. Snow and ice, different story. I guess warranty and all that is gone if an issue occurs in the cold. Kind of funny that I bought a car with a good hot heater, heated seats, rear window defroster but I can't drive it in the cold unless I change tires. I'm looking forward to replacing these tires with a good quality performance all season.
Got 23K on them and the backs are getting thin and the fronts are wearing on the outsides. New tires coming soon with an alignment check.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:35 PM   #7
Bobs of FL

Drives: 2010 2SS Black/IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy@Tirerack View Post
Guys and Gals,

There have been lots of threads asking about using the original equipment Pirelli Summer tires in the cold or snow. Tire Rack never recommends using Summer tires below 45 Fahrenheit. Summer tires become hard and the grip drastically decreases.

There have been some forum members arguing that you can use these tires in colder temperatures.

We have recently seen cases of these tires compound cracking due to the tires being stored/driven on in temperatures below 45 Fahrenheit.

Summer tires are not intended to be driven in cold/snow or ice. Not only is traction a huge issue it can also damage your tires.

This would have been awesome to know before driving through a snowstorm last night Guess it's time to get some new tires
Bobs of FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:40 PM   #8
cant_get_rite

Drives: 2013 CRT/2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_cowboy View Post

cant_get_rite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:41 PM   #9
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
And as noted, stated plainly in the warranty: http://www.pirelli.com/tire/us/en/ca...res.html?tab=7

"What is not covered": Summer tires used at or below 45F (7C) ambient temperature.

Storage shouldn't be an issue. Damage typically occurs during use.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:13 PM   #10
Edzo

I didn't get a warranty from an Italian tire manufacturer, I got one from my dealer and Chevrolet/ General Motors. Ordered my car in December, picked it up in March. Asked about substituting all-seasons, and I would have had to buy them. As far as I'm concerned, I'm covered.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:16 PM   #11
Edzo

It should be a no-cost option of which tires you get. P-Zero's standard, but if you want, you should get all-seasons.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:18 PM   #12
ToolFan66

Drives: 2011 2SS 6.2L W/RS package
Common sense? Or is that considered contraband in the good ol" USA??

KooKs LT Headers, Borla S-Type cat back, RotoFab CAI, Bo White PTB, RMCR tune...
ToolFan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:21 PM   #13
Edzo

What is common sense?
Old 03-04-2014, 11:24 PM   #14
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy@Tirerack View Post
Guys and Gals,

We have recently seen cases of these tires compound cracking due to the tires being stored/driven on in temperatures below 45 Fahrenheit.

An interesting conflict of warranty when the cars are built in Canada and sit in a parking lot for days or weeks. Then they are shipped to dealers all over the US and Canada to sit outside on their parking lots.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote