Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 07-18-2018, 06:56 AM   #15
joelster

Drives: '94 Z28+ '15 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin15 View Post
We here who own these cars are a lucky bunch indeed! Best car I have ever owned!
Couldn't have said it any better! I've just started doing some local autocrossing, and our cars are setup BEAUTIFUL! I ran the Novice Stock class and smoked the field. Had I entered the Novice Modified class I would have won that as well with a BONE-STOCK car. All of these guys with their lowered cars with camber plates, full exhausts, tunes, wider tires, etc, and good ol' Chevy engineering beats them.
1979 Y84 Trans Am
1986 IROC-Z
joelster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:56 AM   #16
Reichler

Drives: 2004 GTO & 2005 GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrob56 View Post
LT5, gotta let the ZR1 breath a little first.

Z/28 was never above a ZL1, and that engine would put it there. Highly doubt you'll ever see the LT5 in anything but the ZR1 or maybe the ZL1 at some point once the C8 vette comes out.
Reichler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:12 AM   #17
Level300

Drives: 2015 Black rs/ss/1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelster View Post
Couldn't have said it any better! I've just started doing some local autocrossing, and our cars are setup BEAUTIFUL! I ran the Novice Stock class and smoked the field. Had I entered the Novice Modified class I would have won that as well with a BONE-STOCK car. All of these guys with their lowered cars with camber plates, full exhausts, tunes, wider tires, etc, and good ol' Chevy engineering beats them.
Well, to be fair, your car probably cost more then several of the other cars combined. It was also engineered to be a track car from the factory. Which means nothing was slapped together. Everything on your car works together. Now a corvette would have been a good comparison.

I'm not knocking your Z. I wish I had one. I wanted a Z ever since my childhood. I had to "settle" for 1LE, which I am very happy with and lucky to own.
Level300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 01:45 PM   #18
aris

Drives: Z/28
Quote:
You'd still probably be faster with some extra camber.
aris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:18 PM   #19
joelster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Level300 View Post
Well, to be fair, your car probably cost more then several of the other cars combined. It was also engineered to be a track car from the factory. Which means nothing was slapped together. Everything on your car works together. Now a corvette would have been a good comparison.

I'm not knocking your Z. I wish I had one. I wanted a Z ever since my childhood. I had to "settle" for 1LE, which I am very happy with and lucky to own.
My overall raw time was 75.649 for 2 best runs (morning and afternoon). My PAX time would have been 61.578 (car is AS class .814).

http://wny-scca.com/live/

^^take a look and see where I would have finished in other classes. There was a brand new GT350 there. He left after the morning runs. He would have finished around 7th or so. Joe Peacock and Mike Schleicher both have 2014 1LE's, so there were some capable cars there. The winning car in Novice Modified is a very well setup newer Mustang driven by an experienced guy, Pat Dabrowski.

My last run I let it hang out because I knew I had already won. The Z just keeps amazing me. The harder you push it the better the feedback. It does nothing sudden. Just a tiny bit of a slide if you want it. No bad manners at all.

Here's a video of my last run:

1979 Y84 Trans Am
1986 IROC-Z
Old 07-18-2018, 07:32 PM   #20
camaroarm

Drives: Black and White
Here is some news. After hitting a huge home run in the 10th inning of the 2018 MLB All-Star Game, Houston Astro's Alex Bregman was named the MVP. For that, he won a new 2019 Chevrolet Camaro SS that he is giving to his mother.
camaroarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 03:49 PM   #21
Level300

Drives: 2015 Black rs/ss/1le
Quote:
My overall raw time was 75.649 for 2 best runs (morning and afternoon). My PAX time would have been 61.578 (car is AS class .814).

http://wny-scca.com/live/

^^take a look and see where I would have finished in other classes. There was a brand new GT350 there. He left after the morning runs. He would have finished around 7th or so. Joe Peacock and Mike Schleicher both have 2014 1LE's, so there were some capable cars there. The winning car in Novice Modified is a very well setup newer Mustang driven by an experienced guy, Pat Dabrowski.

My last run I let it hang out because I knew I had already won. The Z just keeps amazing me. The harder you push it the better the feedback. It does nothing sudden. Just a tiny bit of a slide if you want it. No bad manners at all.

Here's a video of my last run:

You made it sound like you were racing against kids with Hondas LOL. At least that's how I read it. How long have you been doing AutoX? I plan on going to my first AutoX this summer (as a spectator) to see what its all about. Awesome way to represent the Camaro!

Question for you. Do you get the notion that people still think the Camaro can't "turn" or has the Camaro earned the reputation of a being a credible road racing/course car. I"ve been out of the sports car scene for a while now which is why I'm wondering. When I left, (in general) Camaro's were not considered very good road racing cars. They were only considered good for straight line racing.

Have you driven a 1LE? if so, I would love to read your comparison between the two.
Level300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:57 AM   #22
joelster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Level300 View Post
You made it sound like you were racing against kids with Hondas LOL. At least that's how I read it. How long have you been doing AutoX? I plan on going to my first AutoX this summer (as a spectator) to see what its all about. Awesome way to represent the Camaro!
That was my 2nd event. I came in 2nd at my first event about 6 weeks ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Level300
Question for you. Do you get the notion that people still think the Camaro can't "turn" or has the Camaro earned the reputation of a being a credible road racing/course car. I"ve been out of the sports car scene for a while now which is why I'm wondering. When I left, (in general) Camaro's were not considered very good road racing cars. They were only considered good for straight line racing.
Not at all anymore. Not because of the LS3 or LS7, but because of the independent rear suspension. That was a game changer for any pony car. In autocross there is a class created specifically for Camaro's, Mustang's, Challengers, and old school muscle. It's called the CAM class (classic american muscle). A 5th or 6th gen Camaro is almost an unfair advantage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Level300
Have you driven a 1LE? if so, I would love to read your comparison between the two.
I owned a 5th gen 1LE for 4 years. I traded it in on my Z, and the new owner of my 1LE raced it as well (came in 5th) in the same class. A Z to me is simply a more intense 1LE. It's a little louder, feels a tad quicker and snappier. The biggest difference I can feel is in the brakes. The brakes are noticeably better on the Z. I actually feel like my Z rides on the street better than my 1LE. Maybe it's the Recaros. My 1LE would make a loud thunk if the front suspension went into a pothole or dip. Was very annoying.
1979 Y84 Trans Am
1986 IROC-Z
Old 07-21-2018, 09:25 AM   #23
Doug Halsey
Toy Collector

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTIFIED View Post
I don't see it happening on the current platform. If it were the king of hill Camaro, it'd have to best the ZL1 1LE in performance and would be way too pricey. If not king of hill, then where would it be slotted? Between ZL1 1LE and ZL1? Doesn't make sense. Between 1LE and ZL1? Still doesn't make sense. And certainly not slotted between 1LE and SS.

I have a feeling we may never see one again. Developing a new high performance NA engine may not make economical sense given the movement toward twin turbos, EV, etc.

When I bought my Z/28 in August of 2015, I did a lot of research on the ROI of manufactures investment in specialty cars (also used for brand recognition). The why and how has to offset the cost and equal a good ROI and create an image for the company. I calculated the risk that this was going to be the last naturally aspirated Z/28 base on the current sales figures, the younger generation not caring about performance based cars, and the limitations put on big car manufactures. Thus, branding their company with technology that has almost reached its limitations didn't make sense. The result was that I was 90% sure this was going to be the last naturally aspirated Z/28.

Will it be the fastest stock naturally aspirated Camaro ever? That is another question. With Ford moving away from gas powered cars to hybrids and electric cars, I believe that if a manufacture wants to survive it will have to adapt and change it's image to match that of most consumers (and we are not them).

So for those of us who gush over noisy, messy, high performance cars that have multiple point of failure compared to future cars that won't have a combustion engine and burn clean fuel or be electrically powered, we will no longer be the targeted audience of the industry. I'm just glad that I got the opportunity to buy this car!
Old 07-22-2018, 10:17 AM   #24
The camaro show

Drives: 2015 camaro 2lt
I’d like to see a iroc z
Cosmetic mods: SS hood with painted vent, SS bumper, acs 1le front lip black, big worm gfx tinted all lights, solar wing v2, Camaro seat belt pads and oracle color shift halos and fog light halos and rear colorshift bow tie, carbon creations carbon fiber stingray z spoiler
Wheels: lexani r-3 bg finish 19x8.5
Performance: cold air inductions intake, mrt v1, jacfab ported intake manifold, intake manifold spacer, overkill tuned on E85.
The camaro show is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 12:24 PM   #25
1970judge

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2007 HHR
Quote:
Originally Posted by The camaro show View Post
I’d like to see a iroc z

Why? IROC-Z was an advertising piece for the racing series, which no longer exists. Another company owns the rights to the "IROC-Z" moniker. Not going to happen, nor should it.
1970judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 08:11 AM   #26
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reichler View Post
Z/28 was never above a ZL1, and that engine would put it there. Highly doubt you'll ever see the LT5 in anything but the ZR1 or maybe the ZL1 at some point once the C8 vette comes out.

The LS7 was put in the Camaro platform when Corvette shifted theirs. History is about to repeat itself as they move to a completely redesigned mid-engine. Don't hold your breath, but don't be shocked when the left over vette motors come to the Camaro platform again.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote