Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-20-2018, 01:15 PM   #15
Chris49066SS

Drives: 2010 SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty9fordkiller View Post
Well, basically what you want is a conversion to an SS differential and install the 3.91 gear in it before you install it into your car. (unless you get lucky like me and find a Z28 differential that already has the 3.91 gears or even a 1LE one that comes with them as well).

It will wake up your car
There ya go, thats just an example of what I am saying about starting with the V-8 Camaro as a base, because of things like that. Having to convert your diff when it otherwise would've been a drop-in. You can make it fast, it will just be a bunch more money to do it. Best of luck though
Chris49066SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 01:22 PM   #16
J Rod

Drives: '14 BRM 1LE 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The camaro show View Post
I am still looking to do forced induction down the road if I go that route, I have wanted to get a c7 vette since prices are dropping but my insurance is high enough being 19 and can't even think what it would be then
I don't get this. Why spend thousands of dollars trying to boost the performance of V6 when you could just put that money towards the added insurance costs of a V8? Is it really that big a difference? Maybe it is, it's been a while since I was a 19 yr old.
LSA Blower w/ 2.45 Griptec, Reinforced Brick, FIC 1000 injectors, JRE FPCM, LFP Dual Pass HX, ZL1 IC pump, RotoFab CAI, Bo White TB, Coated Stainless Power 1-7/8" LTs, NPP, NGK TR7IX, Mighty Mouse Wild CC, AEM X-Series WB, Aeroforce Interceptor, MGW Shifter, Z28 Grill, Gary's Custom ZL1 Rockers, Hero Tails, Tuned by IMC
J Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 01:44 PM   #17
pnwdan

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Here is an idea. LS3 swap your car. V8 for the insurance cost of V6
Old 11-20-2018, 08:21 PM   #18
The camaro show

Drives: 2015 camaro 2lt
Ive seen a few people do that on here
Cosmetic mods: SS hood with painted vent, SS bumper, acs 1le front lip black, big worm gfx tinted all lights, solar wing v2, Camaro seat belt pads and oracle color shift halos and fog light halos and rear colorshift bow tie, carbon creations carbon fiber stingray z spoiler
Wheels: lexani r-3 bg finish 19x8.5
Performance: cold air inductions intake, mrt v1, jacfab ported intake manifold, intake manifold spacer, overkill tuned on E85.
The camaro show is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:22 PM   #19
The camaro show

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Rod View Post
I don't get this. Why spend thousands of dollars trying to boost the performance of V6 when you could just put that money towards the added insurance costs of a V8? Is it really that big a difference? Maybe it is, it's been a while since I was a 19 yr old.
I already pay 285 a month lol it was 300 a month but just went down
Cosmetic mods: SS hood with painted vent, SS bumper, acs 1le front lip black, big worm gfx tinted all lights, solar wing v2, Camaro seat belt pads and oracle color shift halos and fog light halos and rear colorshift bow tie, carbon creations carbon fiber stingray z spoiler
Performance: cold air inductions intake, mrt v1, jacfab ported intake manifold, intake manifold spacer, overkill tuned on E85.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:58 PM   #20
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Sell said car. forget options. Buy dodge demon with track pack. 9sec 1/4mi to grocery store

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:11 PM   #21
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Why would you ask a question like this on here? All your gonna get is a bunch of LS3 truck engine and detuned L99 owners telling you to trade your car in.

3.91's are a waste of time. You'd get better results trying to figure out the WOT restriction until 40 mph that these cars have.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 12:07 AM   #22
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
Why would you ask a question like this on here? All your gonna get is a bunch of LS3 truck engine and detuned L99 owners telling you to trade your car in.

3.91's are a waste of time. You'd get better results trying to figure out the WOT restriction until 40 mph that these cars have.

You do know that the throttle blade position directs the airflow through the intake manifold and can increase the velocity, allowing more complete cylinder filling?
Even in directly controlled throttles (vs. fly by wire) vacuum was often used to position throttle blades, sometimes to an over-open position, for the most power possible. The Quadrajet, with it's vacuum operated secondaries is a common example. Loosen the spring on one of those without supporting mods and it's bog city. BTDT.
It is easier than ever to tune vehicles today but I bet you won't find one tuner who will open the throttle farther earlier in search of more power.

What would the liability be on GM if you needed all the power possible to escape a dangerous situation but the manufacturer limited it and someone was injured or killed as a result?

As for the final drive ratio. That is one cheap modifications you can make that will increase acceleration, at some cost to highway fuel mileage. Urban or suburban driving it probably won't mean squat. The trans will just upshift earlier.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:41 AM   #23
rozarioorlan

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LS
With what you mentioned, and if you could swing it, I’d say get the ported intake manifold as well as the intake manifold spacer. Pretty easy install and can do both at the same time. If not, the tune would be the next best thing. Good thing about the Overkill tune is you have unlimited retunes so you can purchase that now if you wanted and retune every time you get a new mod if needed. If you were more focused on exhaust sound and performance, you could get the downpipes however I would consider ARH as well since it’s a bit cheaper. I prefer the catted and love mine. If you actually plan on doing forced induction in the future you will need to keep your stock cats on or be catless so keep that in mind when deciding on a set. I have/had all the mods you mentioned so let me know if you have any questions.
2013 2LS - K&N CAI, Overkill Ported 80mm Throttle Body, Overkill E85 Kit and Overkill Tune, Jacfab Ported Intake Manifold and Spacer, Stealth 3.0 TC, ARH Catted Downpipes, Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe, Resonator Delete, Jones Full Boar Racing Mufflers, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Seperator
rozarioorlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:21 AM   #24
The camaro show

pmed
Old 11-21-2018, 04:07 PM   #25
The camaro show

bump
Old 11-22-2018, 10:00 AM   #26
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
You have dumped a bunch of money into a 6.....you could have demoded to upgrade but your age is OMG terrible to insurance...I have three full coverage for less than your one payment with my daughter having screwed it by $100 a mo. having a accident a couple years ago.....

Best thing ..get a throttle controller.... and give up, your putting all your money into a pit in other words. You have to demod it someday to upgrade and your not going to easily sell too much like the hood etc..... The pretty exterior stuff...well you know the lights are illegal, the hood misrepresents, and well..MEH….. You've got the exhaust the, CAI, and good luck ever getting the money out of it..... should you and yes you will undoubtedly get new car fever …..apparently you have money to spend on mods, save it for the next best thing...…. All show no go gets old...…. Its a v-6 for a reason, more economical …….. And manual or automatic? the manuals had rears like the SS.....
Old 11-22-2018, 11:57 AM   #27
The camaro show

Its my first car and honestly I don't plan to every sell it my uncles have huge car collections and the plan is to daily it for 8-10 years then make it a toy. It was my 16th birthday gift and my birthday is right after black friday and We couldn't find a 2SS in agm in a auto anywhere near me on the black friday sale. And I already have 5k into this car so my parents just want me to build it now and enjoy my younger years having fun
Old 11-22-2018, 04:55 PM   #28
rozarioorlan

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LS
To add, I got my car at 17 and didn't really get new car fever until about 20. I wanted something faster, better, etc. but my V6 was already paid off so there was absolutely no point in going from having a "free car" to a $300+ car payment for many years AND still have to mod again. This gives me time to save up for another car in the future, a home, future expenses and so on. It's easy to jump into a new car like everyone is saying but it's not a good idea if you cant afford it, and even if you can, who wouldn't want to save thousands a year on car payments?

All regular, modded cars are money pits when it comes down to it. Sure the SS holds its value a lot better, but if you mod and spend thousands on that you're not going to get much back unless you demod. Your V8 cost $28,000 and you spent $5,000 on mods and put thousands of miles over the years; you're not getting anywhere near $30,000 for it. Same for the V6. (Though I'd say it depends on mods for all vehicles)

Its your car so do what you want to it. Spending a few hundred dollars on a couple mods over the year is a lot cheaper than a monthly car payment so keep that in mind. If anything, you can always pick up an older GTO, G8, Corvette, 4th gen SS, GT, R/T, or Trans AM if you craved a V8 and didn't want the high car payment, I've considered it.
2013 2LS - K&N CAI, Overkill Ported 80mm Throttle Body, Overkill E85 Kit and Overkill Tune, Jacfab Ported Intake Manifold and Spacer, Stealth 3.0 TC, ARH Catted Downpipes, Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe, Resonator Delete, Jones Full Boar Racing Mufflers, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Seperator
rozarioorlan is offline   Reply With Quote