Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-20-2014, 09:54 AM   #1
Xavier1421

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Question 2012 2SS/RS - Driver's Side AC vents blowing warmer than passenger side

This marks the 5th time I've had to get my car (now with about 26000 miles) in to the service department due to the AC losing refrigerant.

In all cases, they have not been able to determine the source of the leak. The 3rd "repair", the refrigerant appeared to be completely evacuated. I was even asked "what did you do to it?!".

No visible leaks from multiple dye tests, valves replaced, the only thing left to replace is the coil and possibly even the compressor - it's a closed system, it's got to be leaking from SOMEWHERE.

I searched the forums and noticed others have had similar issues - has anyone had any luck finding a resolution? I'm just outside of my lemon law timeframe, so I'm essentially stuck with the car (although my issues began well before).

I love my car, just can't stand the level of "service" and repetitive AC issue.
Xavier1421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:35 PM   #2
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier1421 View Post
This marks the 5th time I've had to get my car (now with about 26000 miles) in to the service department due to the AC losing refrigerant.

In all cases, they have not been able to determine the source of the leak. The 3rd "repair", the refrigerant appeared to be completely evacuated. I was even asked "what did you do to it?!".

No visible leaks from multiple dye tests, valves replaced, the only thing left to replace is the coil and possibly even the compressor - it's a closed system, it's got to be leaking from SOMEWHERE.

I searched the forums and noticed others have had similar issues - has anyone had any luck finding a resolution? I'm just outside of my lemon law timeframe, so I'm essentially stuck with the car (although my issues began well before).

I love my car, just can't stand the level of "service" and repetitive AC issue.
Xavier1421,

Sorry to hear about your repeated A/C woes. I realize how concerning that would be and apologize for any displeasure. Keep us posted on the results of your dealer visit. If necessary, I can contact their designated Customer Experience Manager if you have any additional questions. We'll look forward to your updates .

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:27 AM   #3
The Roc

Drives: 2010 Camaro!
Exclamation Same problem here!

I've been having the exact same issue on my 2010 SS/RS. My car hasn't been the same ever since I took it in to have it DETAILED and WAXED at AutoNation Chevrolet Galleria 4747 LBJ Freeway Dallas, Texas 75244
When I arrived to pick up my so called detailed car there were water spots all along the sides. Then I noticed that the only thing waxed on my car was the hood. I didn't have time to sit there and wait for the guy to do what he was already supposed to have done 4 hours earlier. So when I got in the car to leave. I turned the AC on all the way and noticed the driver's side vent was blowing out hot air while the center and passenger side vent were perfectly cool. This being the 2nd time I had gone back in and complained the service manager was called. He got in my car and noticed the dramatic difference. So he asked if he could drive the both of us around the block in it to see if it changes. Which it did get cooler but not very much at all. When we got back to the dealership he told me "It's a normal thing that happens because it's so hot outside. You just gotta drive around for a minute before it will completely cool off. You may need to have your AC recharged due to it being a 2010".
The Roc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:43 AM   #4
dlluinstra
David

Drives: 2010 LT2 RS Red Jewel Tint
Probably the Blender Motor, "Door Actuator," Had this same symptom/problem on my Silverado. Service Manager recognized the problem and solution immediately.
dlluinstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:13 PM   #5
Pjjep

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro
I have had this issue from day one with my 2010. (hard to believe it is almost 5 years old!)
Is there any harm in not having it fixed? (other than it isn't as cold as it could be)
Pjjep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:53 AM   #6
Xavier1421

My AC, once it started showing signs of running low on refrigerant, quickly diminished to NO AC. It took about 3 weeks but the AC now blows hot all the time. It appears to have 1 oz left of refrigerant. The original dealership, who up to this point had done all service work on it, was "not able to find the leak" - even after dye tests and letting the car sit with gauges on it.

They supposedly tested it, and supposedly dyed it, and supposedly couldn't find the leak, so they replaced the shrader valves and filled it back up.

I don't know if they over filled it, or what happened, but it's at a different dealership now, and they are replacing the evaporator coil. This picture hurts me.
Attached Images

Old 09-08-2014, 11:03 AM   #7
Xavier1421

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlluinstra View Post
Probably the Blender Motor, "Door Actuator," Had this same symptom/problem on my Silverado. Service Manager recognized the problem and solution immediately.
Can you, or someone else, explain this a little further? In this issue related to diminished airflow rather than the AC blowing warm/hot? Because not only did the AC stop blowing cool altogether, but the driver's side vents felt blocked, very little air flow even on max fan.

Thanks David!
Old 09-08-2014, 11:07 AM   #8
Xavier1421

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Xavier1421,

Sorry to hear about your repeated A/C woes. I realize how concerning that would be and apologize for any displeasure. Keep us posted on the results of your dealer visit. If necessary, I can contact their designated Customer Experience Manager if you have any additional questions. We'll look forward to your updates .

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Thank you for the concern William. I'm at a loss regarding the level of service I've experienced thus far, and I can only hope that this dealership tearing into my car doesn't diminish the value - I'm just outside the timeframe for a lemon, but that's not going to stop me from trying.

Rather than completely unload on you (or your team), which I'm fairly sure happens often, I'm going to exercise some patience for the time being.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:13 AM   #9
Xavier1421

Sorry for the multi-post bonanza, but I've just gotten word back from the dealership that is working on the car now - the sniffer went crazy "like a drug dog at a crack convention" - so clearly it was never tested previously.

Schumacher Chevrolet in Lake Park was the dealership I purchased the car from and who had completed all previous work. I'm left with the assumption that they wanted to avoid this level of work on the car, so another dealership is stepping up to the plate.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:59 PM   #10
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Quote:
Thank you for the concern William. I'm at a loss regarding the level of service I've experienced thus far, and I can only hope that this dealership tearing into my car doesn't diminish the value - I'm just outside the timeframe for a lemon, but that's not going to stop me from trying.

Rather than completely unload on you (or your team), which I'm fairly sure happens often, I'm going to exercise some patience for the time being.
No problem,

I can understand your position, and appreciate your response. Please keep me posted on the diagnosis as I'd definitely be interested in knowing how things are proceeding.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 09-29-2014, 12:32 PM   #11
Xavier1421

I got my car back this last Saturday (20 days in the shop).

The AC has never worked so well - but we shall see how long it lasts. I hope it does last. The car went back together fairly well - but you can tell it has been dismantled to some degree (pillars are loose, etc), but I'm very satisfied with no squeaks or rattles (yet).

They discovered a couple of paint issues that they wouldn't touch, so I have to bring it to my normal dealership and have them look at it.

But as far as the AC goes, the coil replacement seems to have helped.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:27 PM   #12
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Quote:
I got my car back this last Saturday (20 days in the shop).

The AC has never worked so well - but we shall see how long it lasts. I hope it does last. The car went back together fairly well - but you can tell it has been dismantled to some degree (pillars are loose, etc), but I'm very satisfied with no squeaks or rattles (yet).

They discovered a couple of paint issues that they wouldn't touch, so I have to bring it to my normal dealership and have them look at it.

But as far as the AC goes, the coil replacement seems to have helped.
Xavier1421,

Thanks for the update. It's great to hear that the service to the A/C has apparently resolved any concerns you had prior. Feel free to keep us posted on its functionality and don't hesitate to send over a private message if any other concerns arise.

Kind regards,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 10-23-2015, 12:51 PM   #13
FoXMrdR

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I know the post is quite old but I'm really glad to have found a solution that worked in my 2010 Camaro.

The AC was blowing warm air only on the driver's side and surprisingly cold on the passenger's side (more than normal I'd say). I think this issue started when I try to make it operate in "Max AC" mode, although I'm not sure of it.

The thing is that I pulled out the 3 fuses related to the AC System (#1, #42 and #F5) for about an hour. If I'm not wrong, this should make the system to reset. I plugged them back in afterwards and turn my key to switch on the contact (not the engine). After a couple of minutes. I removed the key and put it back again to switch on the engine. The AC came back to normality!!

The only issue I find is that the temperature is not as low as it used to be when blowing on the passenger's side only but I assume it's just lack of refrigerant fluid. However, the flux is equally cold in both zones of the car now. That awesome!!
FoXMrdR is offline   Reply With Quote