Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 11-28-2008, 07:17 PM   #1
Az Sparky

Drives: 74 Camaro, 91 Caddy
STS TURBO the only way to go.

Ok so you want your new Camaro to be faster then Mr Jones down the street. Me too, go and check out ststurbo.com IMO this is just the way to go. or buy a big block and sts turbo setup lol.

Check them out as this wonderful country that we live in give us so many different ways for us to GET MORE POWER.

David
Az Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 07:38 PM   #2
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
Advertising? Really? Externally mounted turbo. Fail.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 07:41 PM   #3
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I'd need to see comparable dyno results for this to be worthy of any further investigation. Prove to me that this is legit before I consider it.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 08:39 PM   #4
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
IMVHO, and I can't speak with direct experience, only through what I've seen and read, I'm just not sold on that company yet. One of the things that bug me is that I dont' feel that the quality of all the parts is quite there. For example, they don't use mandrel-bent stainless tubing which may not really amount to much, but it's one of those little things that are attention to detail for me. I've read and see systems installed and the ground clearance what I've seen was very poor in some circumstances. For example: on a 4th. Gen., the pressure tube, from the turbo, goes under the K-member, and looks like it compromises about 2.5-inches of ground clearance. Another example I can think of was lack of attention tuning detail because my tuner personally had to contact them regarding tuning and MAF sensor postioning for one of their kits, on the same car, because readings from the sensor were very inaccurate.

I DO like the idea of where they're mounting the turbo but all the piping and tubing leaves something, for me, to be desired. I understand they are acquiring CARB-certification on some kits (and think they already have some for others). The price seems great for the gains that the car gets, but I don't want to worry about the ceramic coating they put on their pipes to get pushed into my turbo, intake, and such just because they didn't want to use stainless steel. When I see their prices compared to other kits, they are a steal, but I don't think the quality is quite on par. I've only seen a few kits, but they were all deficient in the same areas I quoted (except for the tuning part - that was an F-body only) and I had the same reservations on those applications.

To be clear, I'm not getting dark on them, nor have I had direct experience with them. I only wanted to offer a little of what I had noticed and my opinions only. Just like most anything else, things can change on a product and I might not even have seen it/them. It will be interesting to see what they do for the 5th. Gen. though, for sure

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 10:43 PM   #5
fazm

Drives: ex-500hp v6 mustang
i see an STS 4th gen SS about everyday, and im not impressed at all. when he goes WOT it seems to take forever to spool, also sounds pretty raspy
fazm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 11:07 PM   #6
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
ill take an APS turbo over a STS anyday
Old 11-29-2008, 12:32 AM   #7
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
The general consensus seems to be one weary of STS. We need to keep an eye on this product to make sure it is on par with some of the other aftermarket offerings. As I've said previously, I want documentation. I won't purchase a product without knowing how it stacks up.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 06:36 AM   #8
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Sparky View Post
Ok so you want your new Camaro to be faster then Mr Jones down the street. Me too, go and check out ststurbo.com IMO this is just the way to go. or buy a big block and sts turbo setup lol.

Check them out as this wonderful country that we live in give us so many different ways for us to GET MORE POWER.

David
Do you work for this company?
Old 11-29-2008, 08:48 AM   #9
05Z33

Drives: 350Z
+1 APS over STS.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:41 AM   #10
SoFlaZ

Drives: 2013 SS LS3
Stacey David is installing one right now on speed tv (eastern time) on an LS3 corvette. Its a rerun i've seen before and its a MONSTER!
SoFlaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:08 AM   #11
Az Sparky

Drives: 74 Camaro, 91 Caddy
I do not work for them. I have seen there products on a wide range of cars and trucks. Look up some of the videos on you tube. Read the testimonials. I think its really cool. but thats just me. when you see it in person and contact the people who have had this done they all say the same thing AWESOME. im just putting my 2 cents for another way to make big power. there are lots of great ways to do this and this is just different way. just letting others know that this is one way. I dont think there a big company but from what i have heard and seen with my own eyes and talk to people that have this setup i have only heard great things. its not often that you hear great things from all sorts of different customers about a company. I was just passing it forward that this company should IMO be brought to knowage of this great forum.

thank you
Az Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 12:53 PM   #12
jeremy02

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Speaking first hand, I had STS on my 4th gen Trans Am. 402 RWHP with only the kit and supporting fuel upgrades.

It'd kick completely sideways goin into second. I loved it.
jeremy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 01:18 PM   #13
454lsxss

Drives: 07 Scion tC. for now...
STS is cool and all...but APS already has a system out for the LS3 vettes. it makes somewhere around 625 to the wheel with stock internals...i'm APS all the way on this one...besides...STS does alot of work on rustangs...
454lsxss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 02:09 PM   #14
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I like STS's simplicity. And I really love the rear-mount design...call me a heretic.

I don't have any first-hand experience, but I've read and watch a LOT about them. There's no lag due to smart engineering. In addition to sizing the turbos for a rear-mount application, the piping acts like an intercooler, and takes up about the same volume as one, too. It takes a fraction of a second to fully pressurize the tubing.

They also won GM's "Best High Performance Product" Award at SEMA 2004. Not too shabby.

They're not the be-all, end-all of turbo companies, imo...but they're definitely impressive.