Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-31-2011, 03:22 PM   #71
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristoff View Post
Sure, I'll explain:

When you change the specs of your engine, you change ALL the specs of your engine. If you are making it work harder and put our more power, you are creating added stress on ALL of the other components and if a weak link fails, it could very well have been caused by your mods.

If you take this to court, you have little chance of winning.
That may hold for the pistons, rings, crankshaft.. bearings and gasgets...

But the oil pump has nothing to do with the ammount of power the engine produces. It pumps oil based on RPM not horse power...

Oil pressure and flow are only increased when the RPMs are increased... the power produced by the engine or the mods that make it more powerful have nothing to do with the duty cycle of the oil pump..

Again I refer to the leaking oil pan... More powerful engines don't have any impact on an oil pan seal... if that seal fails it would have failed whether the car is modded or not.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:27 PM   #72
Sevn86

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS ABM
Wow, that sucks!
Dude, you go through cars faster than I go through underware!!
1000 Initial Order 9/14/2009 - Classic Chevy Sugar Land
1100 Order accepted at dealer: 9/15/2009 - NPGV41.
2000 Order accepted by GM: 9/29/2009
3000 Accepted By Production Control: 9/30/2009 - TPW 10/26/09
3100 Sequenced:10/12/09
3300 Scheduled For Production:10/13/09
3400 Broadcast:10/22/09
3800 Produced:10/27/09
4000 Available To Ship:10/28/09
4200 Shipped:10/29/09
5000 Delivered To The Dealer:11/09/09
6000 Delivered To Customer:11/12/09
Sevn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:29 PM   #73
steeleshark2

Drives: 2010 Transformer 1SS Camaro
Hey Moss, sorry to hear about your issue. I almost did not do my pump with my cam change. I was lucky I found a post or 2 about it and thought it would be worth it. Now after seeing this, I am so glad I did. If I was there, I think a 12 pack of beer and a few of us could have fun with it. Also, give Jim (Jhart711) a call if you do not want to do the work yourself at Hartley Automotive. He can hook you up for a lot less then that I believe. Good Luck Bro!! See ya when I get home.
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:35 PM   #74
halo8hkk

Drives: 2000 Z28. 2010 1SS IMB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell040 View Post
I would just buy a performance oil pump and put it on myself.

no lawyers, better oil flow.

$140
http://www.mtiracing.com/Purchase/LS...-Oil-Pump.html

i hate to say it but your not going to win this one. you would be better off buying s high volume pump and do it your self. its not to hard to replace.

2010 1SS/RS = Mysstique
Whipple Supercharger
Dyno= 618hp 555tq at the wheels
IMB Silver Stripes
VIN#44025
Born: 9/9/09 Delivered: 9/28/09
halo8hkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:36 PM   #75
Cristoff

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS in Red Jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
That may hold for the pistons, rings, crankshaft.. bearings and gasgets...

But the oil pump has nothing to do with the ammount of power the engine produces. It pumps oil based on RPM not horse power...

Oil pressure and flow are only increased when the RPMs are increased... the power produced by the engine or the mods that make it more powerful have nothing to do with the duty cycle of the oil pump..

Again I refer to the leaking oil pan... More powerful engines don't have any impact on an oil pan seal... if that seal fails it would have failed whether the car is modded or not.
A judge is going to see it as one component and not as a gearhead. GM can argue this point 1000% better than a guy off the street or a non industry lawyer.

A good industry lawyer could argue your point of an oil pan seal by saying that the added power created higher internal pressure within the engine that caused the seal to fail prematurely. Any judge in the world will buy it.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here. It's a losing battle.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:39 PM   #76
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Fact is, youre completely at the mercy of GM when it comes to warranty excluding Lemon Law claims. Even if your mods didnt break the part they are denying to fix its going to cost a lot of time and money to get the issue resolved. Even if you do win it could take years to get into a court room.

Pretty much anything beyond light bolt on mods and you might as well consider most if not all of your warranty gone.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:44 PM   #77
Cam2011

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab2g View Post
Unfortunately, with something as minor as replacing an oil pump, your legal fees will most likely outweigh the cost to repair. Lawyers run from $150/hr to hundreds or thousands. So good luck keeping any legal action under a few hours.
Just have the lawyer replace the oil pump. 2 birds 1 stone.
Cam2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:45 PM   #78
formare
The Milano

Drives: 2017 Firefly ShipWorks
There are better ways to clean teh road dust off your car. What happened?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick SS View Post
Sorry bro. That really sucks!

PS......My day has sucked too!

Attachment 222446
Old 03-31-2011, 04:04 PM   #79
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Quote:
A judge is going to see it as one component and not as a gearhead. GM can argue this point 1000% better than a guy off the street or a non industry lawyer.

A good industry lawyer could argue your point of an oil pan seal by saying that the added power created higher internal pressure within the engine that caused the seal to fail prematurely. Any judge in the world will buy it.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here. It's a losing battle.
I'm not saying it's worth the fight...

But a mechanic could easily testify that your industry lawyer is technically wrong where the operation of an engine is concerned. Hence why technical experts testify.

but I'm an internet expert so that means pretty much nothing...
Old 03-31-2011, 04:05 PM   #80
GaryTucker

Drives: 09 Vette GT1, 06 350Z, 82 MSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
No offense but the top end of your engine has been apart. Yes there is a known issue with the pump but how do they know some mistake wasn't made in the cam or timing chain install, dirt got in the oil system, whatever. This is not to say Vengeance isn't a good place, they are but I'm just showing their perspective. The top end of the motor was taken apart by someone other than the dealership. You're done right there.

Not only that but not EVERY car has a faulty oil pump. Mine is as old as if not older than yours, with 25k hard miles on it and no oil pressure issues.

Gonna have to side with GM on this one, don't waste your time, money, or breath on fighting it.

As has been said before, "burden" may be on GM...but GM also has the funding to hire the lawyers that will make anyone that any of us can afford quake in their thousand dollar shoes...
GaryTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:11 PM   #81
Cristoff

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS in Red Jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
I'm not saying it's worth the fight...

But a mechanic could easily testify that your industry lawyer is technically wrong where the operation of an engine is concerned. Hence why technical experts testify.

but I'm an internet expert so that means pretty much nothing...
Yep, and this is where GM's deep pockets would win the day by bringing in the engineers of the parts and pay them to say yes it could.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:13 PM   #82
GaryTucker

Drives: 09 Vette GT1, 06 350Z, 82 MSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by themossman View Post
No...confirmed by several reliable sources.
So, you have reliable sources confirm something without seeing it? Since the car is still at the dealership I assume and still in one piece, there is absolutely no way to confirm that something didn't happen during the mod installation.
GaryTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:16 PM   #83
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Quote:
Yep, and this is where GM's deep pockets would win the day by bringing in the engineers of the parts and pay them to say yes it could.
Like I said, It's not worth the legal fight...
Old 03-31-2011, 04:20 PM   #84
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
Quote:
Sure, I'll explain:

When you change the specs of your engine, you change ALL the specs of your engine. If you are making it work harder and put out more power (AND drive it harder as a result), you are creating added stress on ALL of the other components and if a weak link fails, it could very well have been caused by your mods.

If you take this to court, you have little chance of winning.
That's not a technical explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTucker View Post
So, you have reliable sources confirm something without seeing it? Since the car is still at the dealership I assume and still in one piece, there is absolutely no way to confirm that something didn't happen during the mod installation.
They confirmed emphatically that the modifications that were performed would not have an adverse impact on the oil pump operation.
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Suspension: Pfadt Sport Sway Bars, Pfadt drop springs
Other: MGW Shifter, Custom Paint
my build journal ---->http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30057
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote