Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 06-16-2018, 11:14 PM   #1863
Tajefe Couple

Drives: Never just fly under the radar
Cool to hear your build lives on and I'm sure being able to do it with your father will create cherished memories that will last forever.

Can't wait to hear the progress on your way to 10's
Old 06-17-2018, 07:14 AM   #1864
alice

Drives: 2010 camaro limited edition turbo
Great idea to spend time with your father. I lost mine when I was 21 and he was my very best friend and mentor. I think of him everyday. Cherish the moments together.
alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:27 PM   #1865
Tajefe Couple

Lost my father 3 days after my 7th B-day, even still have a few fond memories gotta make em count when you can and hold on to those moments.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:29 AM   #1866
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
It is going to be a lot of fun building the car up with him. I'm having to do prep work right now, since I'm also relocating the supercharger to sit further back so I can fit a bigger intake pipe. I'm still undecided about whether to run non-intercooled or an Air to Water intercooler.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:17 AM   #1867
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
Just saying hi. Haven’t been on 5 forever. Can’t believe the count on this thread. Good luck to you magnum.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 11:29 PM   #1868
Tajefe Couple

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForceGB View Post
It is going to be a lot of fun building the car up with him. I'm having to do prep work right now, since I'm also relocating the supercharger to sit further back so I can fit a bigger intake pipe. I'm still undecided about whether to run non-intercooled or an Air to Water intercooler.
Wondering how much boost you'll be running or are shooting for when done?
Would it just be better to keep it on meth instead of the intercooler?
Are you just going to track it when done or drive on the street?
Just curious been following you so long forget everything you have tried.
Be interesting to see what way you take things, bet it hits those 10's when you guys get done. GL
Old 06-28-2018, 12:00 PM   #1869
MagnumForceGB

Before I was running 17 PSI with the intercooler, so it will run more without the intercooler. I'm spinning the supercharger as fast as it will safely go right now, only other way to get more boost would be to get a bigger supercharger.

Going to stay on water/meth no matter what, the cooling affect of water is too good to not use. The air after the intercooler was over 160 degrees, but 70 degrees after the water/meth. So if I spray before the supercharger and give it time to cool the charge more, it should be 70 degrees again. If I can't get it to that temp without an intercooler, I will probably put a A2W cooler on it with an ice box. That would be fun.

The car will mostly be a fun daily driver. Once my Mustang is paid off I will turn it into the track car, the Camaro will stay as a daily driver. I mostly am using the Camaro to learn how to work and tune cars, reason I'm doing everything in my home. It would be too expensive to make a true track car out of a Camaro V6, especially with a S197 chassis sitting next to it.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:01 PM   #1870
MagnumForceGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXJAK View Post
Just saying hi. Haven’t been on 5 forever. Can’t believe the count on this thread. Good luck to you magnum.
Thanks, been 5 years since I bought the used IPF kit, made good progress.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:41 PM   #1871
Tajefe Couple

I think it would be cool(little pun intended) to see what you come up for the A2W. Excited to see your results when it happens you guys got some work ahead of you for sure. Probably a dedicated tank for it somewhere then and lots of plumbing? Believe if anybody has the knowledge to handle it you do been playing around with it so long doing your own work. Really enjoy seeing people do there own builds and results achieved. Will be awesome for sure. Wish I had that much knowledge!
Just curious any worries about the water temp getting to hot when daily driving? Or is there a way to overcome it?
Old 06-29-2018, 12:07 PM   #1872
MagnumForceGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajefe View Post
I think it would be cool(little pun intended) to see what you come up for the A2W. Excited to see your results when it happens you guys got some work ahead of you for sure. Probably a dedicated tank for it somewhere then and lots of plumbing? Believe if anybody has the knowledge to handle it you do been playing around with it so long doing your own work. Really enjoy seeing people do there own builds and results achieved. Will be awesome for sure. Wish I had that much knowledge!
Just curious any worries about the water temp getting to hot when daily driving? Or is there a way to overcome it?
During normal driving the blow off valve will be open prior to the intercooler, the supercharger won't be working to compress air. So the air going through the intercooler will be near ambient, so it can cool the water down if it is a higher temp. Plus I plan on having a heat exchanger behind one of the fog lights, so that will help.

The thing I'm worried about is the transmission, there aren't any built parts for it like the 6R80. The stock clutches and valve body can handle the power, it is just that input shaft and intermediate shaft that are hollow for fluid passage that can break easily.
Old 06-30-2018, 06:40 AM   #1873
alice

I have always been puzzled why someone has not produced some high performance parts for these 6L50 transmissions. There certainly is demand for them. The transmission is extremely strong except for the areas you point out. Personally, I would be interested in the GM 8L90 transmission, which is used in the Cadillac CTS with the LF3 Twin Turbo V-6. (M5U) Not only would you gain the extra gearing but the transmission is inherently stronger than the 6L50 and would bolt right in. The only issue is the control logic. The 6L50 uses a built in TCU and the 8L90 uses an auxiliary TCU. It would be really nice if someone could adapt the 8L90 TCU to the LFX ECU. To me, it seems feasible but I don't have the time to pursue it. That would solve the transmission strength issue and give you, theoretically, better acceleration at the same time. The gear ratio spreads are awesome for FI set ups and the trannies are available in salvage yards at a very reasonable price. If anyone has a solution for this, I would be interested.
Old 06-30-2018, 09:52 AM   #1874
MagnumForceGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by alice View Post
I have always been puzzled why someone has not produced some high performance parts for these 6L50 transmissions. There certainly is demand for them. The transmission is extremely strong except for the areas you point out. Personally, I would be interested in the GM 8L90 transmission, which is used in the Cadillac CTS with the LF3 Twin Turbo V-6. (M5U) Not only would you gain the extra gearing but the transmission is inherently stronger than the 6L50 and would bolt right in. The only issue is the control logic. The 6L50 uses a built in TCU and the 8L90 uses an auxiliary TCU. It would be really nice if someone could adapt the 8L90 TCU to the LFX ECU. To me, it seems feasible but I don't have the time to pursue it. That would solve the transmission strength issue and give you, theoretically, better acceleration at the same time. The gear ratio spreads are awesome for FI set ups and the trannies are available in salvage yards at a very reasonable price. If anyone has a solution for this, I would be interested.
Are you talking about the 8L45? It has the same bellhousing pattern and size as the 6L50/6L45. The 8L90 is the size of the 6L80/6L90, bigger than what we have with a different bellhousing.

It would be interesting to see a 8L45 swap, but don't think I can go down that rabbit hole at this time. After I get done building mine back up I will see about buying a 8L45 and get it to communicate with a LLT ECU at least.

Right now I will just have to deal with the 6L50, put more torque management into it and have the transmission clutches slip so it isn't a shock.
Old 07-04-2018, 09:52 AM   #1875
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForceGB View Post
Thanks, been 5 years since I bought the used IPF kit, made good progress.
Yes you have. Didn’t realize you bought your kit used. I’ve gotten good use out of mine. Don’t think I ever had an optimal tune for it tho but much better than the first so called SC kit that I and everybody else got screwed on. I have 78k miles on my car now. I’m thinking of putting mine back to stock engine wise or mostly stock and will probably sell it in the next year or so. I supposedly have the original prototype charge pipes IPF fabricated when designing the kit. They’re steel or aluminum. Not sure.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:22 AM   #1876
alice

I may be wrong but I researched this subject extensively about a year ago and this is what I found. See attachments. A 8l90, apparently, was produced for the 3.0 and 3.6 twin turbo engines in select Cadillac vehicles. An auxiliary TCU is used to control them. I have all the wiring schematics and circuit numbers and it looks to me like it could be made to work. Unless this published information is incorrect, a 8l90 is made with the bell housing for the 3.6 V6. Check out the gear ratios. Ideal for FI engines. A real reduction in 60 foot times, as well as better gear spreads for max torque. If I could find one of these transmissions local, I would go look at it to verify the bell housing but I also found another source confirming this information. ?? Since I am keeping my 5th gen till the wheels fall off, I would be very interested in doing this conversion if someone could take the time to figure out the wiring. I simply don't have the time because I am working on a new dash for my Limited Edition. It took me a year to figure out the LLT to LFX conversion, which has been a complete success. This Global technology plays havoc when trying to do conversions and changing body control modules. I finally got everything working correctly with the LFX engine in my LLT. No lights, no DTC's. The 8 speed transmission would be icing on the cake.
Attached Images