Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 07-08-2010, 12:42 AM   #15
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
Quote:
Originally Posted by mws444 View Post
Do you have an automatic or manual tranny? When you were in the corner did you let off the gas or drive it out? If you are running high speed in a corner and let off the gas your engine and actually via compression slow the rear wheels enough to make your rear end break loose. It is more common in a manual transmission than an automatic but can happen with either. High speed driving takes practice and some skill, like was said above hit a SCCA event and get some pointers and make a few runs to practice.
My next question. Great point.

mike
dms
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:37 AM   #16
gahammerle

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS M6 Inferno Orange
I have a manual.

I didn't let off the gas. Just held on figuring the rough spot was small and I would keep going in the direction I was headed when back on smooth pavement.

Injen CAI / Solo Mach-X LLT / Solo High-flow res-cats / Barton short shifter / RX Catch Can / RPI Gills / 35% tint / LED Footwell Lighting Front & Rear / Pedders Street 1 / Pedders steering rack bushing / SS struts / Pfadt drop springs / VMax Ported Throttle Body / Spohn Toe Rods / Spohn Trailing Arms / Trifecta Tune / MACE 25mm Intake Spacers

Find me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/gahammerle
gahammerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:00 AM   #17
DjD
Classic Owner

Drives: 1969 Ragtop
Gordy - my '96 Z28SS with the Bilstein Level II suspension was the same way on corners where the pavement was rough and rutted. The whole car drifted, it wasn't the rear loose and coming around.

I have a Hotchkis suspension with Koni Classic adjustible shocks on my '69 Camaro ragtop. On the street if I adjust the shocks to be firmer the '69 starts feeling like the '96 when cornering on rough roadways. By adjusting the shocks to be softer the '69 sticks in the same corner it use to drift through...

The '10 has a very performance oriented suspension that really works well on a smooth road surface like you would find at a track. I think unless you are having problems with the back end coming around on you, your best option would be to live with it as is. If it really bothers you a shock change to something adjustible where you can soften up the dampening a little at a time is your answer.

Going back to my '96, that car handled like a go-cart and I found once I knew what to expect of it, going into a rough corner was not a problem for me...
Old 07-28-2010, 09:00 PM   #18
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by gahammerle View Post
I have a manual.

I didn't let off the gas. Just held on figuring the rough spot was small and I would keep going in the direction I was headed when back on smooth pavement.
Rough spot is the key to this mystery. Your Camaro IRS delivers from the factory with four large NVH voids rubber bushes. The do a good job of keeping the IRS assembly attached to the car and in general going in the same direction as the car. In a corner over a rough patch of pavement with constant throttle or worse when accelerating is where you will notice they can move and cause REAR END STEP OUT.

What you experienced is the rear wheels were starting to steer the car because the entire IRS shifted. It felt nervous, It felt like it was going one way and then went another and then went back, correct?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:04 PM   #19
gahammerle

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS M6 Inferno Orange
[QUOTE=JusticePete;2154609 It felt nervous, It felt like it was going one way and then went another and then went back, correct?[/QUOTE]

Definitely felt nervous - kinda like going over lopsided marbles.

Injen CAI / Solo Mach-X LLT / Solo High-flow res-cats / Barton short shifter / RX Catch Can / RPI Gills / 35% tint / LED Footwell Lighting Front & Rear / Pedders Street 1 / Pedders steering rack bushing / SS struts / Pfadt drop springs / VMax Ported Throttle Body / Spohn Toe Rods / Spohn Trailing Arms / Trifecta Tune / MACE 25mm Intake Spacers

Find me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/gahammerle
gahammerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:12 PM   #20
JusticePete

Quote:
Definitely felt nervous - kinda like going over lopsided marbles.
The fix is sub-frame bush inserts. Pedders EP1200 was designed for exactly this reason. The Camaro is not alone in this issue. You'll find the same issue in the Chrysler LX chassis (Challenger, Charger, Magnum and 300C) as well the the Pontiac G8 and many other vehicles with IRS.

By filling the voids in the OE rubber bushes you end up with a more stable IRS. Install a set of Pedders EP1200 sub-frame bush inserts. Go back to the same turn. Change NOTHING else but the sub-frame bush inserts and you will be amazed. If you are not thrilled at the difference, send me an email and I'll personally refund your money.

The Sub-Frame and radius bush inserts are low hanging fruit for a Camaro owner. Every Camaro built should have these. They transform the car from a sharp knife to finely honed knife edge. You can read more about the suspension on your Camaro in this Camaro5 thread.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ension+testing
Old 07-28-2010, 09:19 PM   #21
mikepage0007

Drives: 2010 camaro
man, i haven,t seen big squirell for some time..everytime i see that avatar, just cracks me up..
mikepage0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:21 PM   #22
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepage0007 View Post
man, i haven,t seen big squirell for some time..everytime i see that avatar, just cracks me up..
You won't be seeing him anymore.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:27 PM   #23
JProberts

Drives: 2SS RJT RS/Sunroof
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post

............thats funny as hell!!!!!Brings back GI Joe memories!
JProberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:00 PM   #24
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
The fix is sub-frame bush inserts. Pedders EP1200 was designed for exactly this reason. The Camaro is not alone in this issue. You'll find the same issue in the Chrysler LX chassis (Challenger, Charger, Magnum and 300C) as well the the Pontiac G8 and many other vehicles with IRS.

By filling the voids in the OE rubber bushes you end up with a more stable IRS. Install a set of Pedders EP1200 sub-frame bush inserts. Go back to the same turn. Change NOTHING else but the sub-frame bush inserts and you will be amazed. If you are not thrilled at the difference, send me an email and I'll personally refund your money.

The Sub-Frame and radius bush inserts are low hanging fruit for a Camaro owner. Every Camaro built should have these. They transform the car from a sharp knife to finely honed knife edge. You can read more about the suspension on your Camaro in this Camaro5 thread.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ension+testing
Or he could just slow down on the highway. No trying to kill a sale for you ,but If he was going fast enough on a ramp to upset the car that much and scare the hell out of his wife then he's going to crash sooner or later anyhow.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:06 PM   #25
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Or he could just slow down on the highway. No trying to kill a sale for you ,but If he was going fast enough on a ramp to upset the car that much and scare the hell out of his wife then he's going to crash sooner or later anyhow.
Point taken, but the Camaro does not have to be going all that fast for this to occur. It is a long read, but since I wrote it well worth the time 5TH Gen Suspension

We all should operate our vehicles safely and obey rules of the road. While doing exactly that an emergency maneuver may be required. By all means slow down and drive safe, but if you love a good corner be prepared.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:12 PM   #26
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Point taken, but the Camaro does not have to be going all that fast for this to occur. It is a long read, but since I wrote it well worth the time 5TH Gen Suspension

We all should operate our vehicles safely and obey rules of the road. While doing exactly that an emergency maneuver may be required. By all means slow down and drive safe, but if you love a good corner be prepared.
I know I should of put a smiley in. I was joking. I too have notice what the op is explaining on rough roads. Although I'm for the most part going to fast when it does it. I've have heard a lot of good things about the fix you have for that problem.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:29 PM   #27
bigsquirrel
My car runs on acorns....

Drives: 2010 SS RS Inferno Orange
Quote:

Easy now, that was a friend of mine... I'm a lurker I don't post much but I read often.
bigsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:56 PM   #28
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
2SS

Quote:
No I didn't notice. I was busy watching the concrete barrier that was getting a little closer.
Bingo, there was the problem ,you were the one getting closer to the wall ,not the wall to you ! Get it now ? Now go and tell your wife that is okay !
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote