Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 3rd Generation Camaros

Old 07-16-2015, 08:54 PM   #1
liltapper21

Drives: 1992 camaro rs
couple odd problems with camaro just bought

I just bought a 1992 Camaro. I used to have the exact same one, same color, etc. Granted, I wasn't expecting anything mint, and there are a few cosmetic problems, minor ones I can fix if I really want to invest it. It's rust free, still looks great and engine looks clean. Great, the seller made it sound like everything else was functioning too, well I bought it and it came form California, but there's 3 things so far I've noticed not working. I've checked fuses. Unless there is some hot wire somewhere, I don't know.

Some information about the Camaro. It is a 1992 Camaro, RS, V8 TBI. It looks like they had a high performance ignition coil, wire set and RPM adjuster installed which I do not believe it was done stock. It has far rear BOSE subs (no back side-wall speakers) and the front speakers.

First, when I got the Camaro, I turned the radio on and I couldn't really hear anything coming out of any speakers. but it does turn on. So I turn the volume up all the way, and you just bearly hear something from all of the speakers. I connected a different radio and it does the same thing. So I don't know what is causing it, unless there's something under the dash I don't know about.

Second, the oil pressure gauge came on first, then starting reading on the low mark, but it seems to run okay and the oil is fine. I turned the a/c on and the pressure gauge drops to 0. When I had it in park I could get it to go up some. But when I started to drive off the oil pressure gauge stays at 0. Not sure if it's the gauge or the switch or a hot wire. Really don't think the pressure is that bad.

Third, the mileage counter does not move, so I am thinking now this car may have more miles than said. The speedometer works, but the mileage counter does not move. The guy I bought this front claims it all worked, or he is pretty sure. I don't know if each of these problems are separate or if there is some hot wire somewhere. I don't know. wasn't planning to take the dash apart, but if anyone has any suggestions, ideas, or may know what is going on, any help is greatly appreciated. at least it'll give me a starting point. Thanks!
liltapper21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 02:28 AM   #2
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS CV CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by liltapper21 View Post
First, when I got the Camaro, I turned the radio on and I couldn't really hear anything coming out of any speakers. but it does turn on. So I turn the volume up all the way, and you just bearly hear something from all of the speakers. I connected a different radio and it does the same thing. So I don't know what is causing it, unless there's something under the dash I don't know about.
It sounds like the wiring (no pun intended).

Quote:
Second, the oil pressure gauge came on first, then starting reading on the low mark, but it seems to run okay and the oil is fine. I turned the a/c on and the pressure gauge drops to 0. When I had it in park I could get it to go up some. But when I started to drive off the oil pressure gauge stays at 0. Not sure if it's the gauge or the switch or a hot wire. Really don't think the pressure is that bad.
Based on the three issues, I feel someone already dropped the dash... & screwed up all the wiring.

Quote:
Third, the mileage counter does not move, so I am thinking now this car may have more miles than said. The speedometer works, but the mileage counter does not move. The guy I bought this front claims it all worked, or he is pretty sure. I don't know if each of these problems are separate or if there is some hot wire somewhere. I don't know. wasn't planning to take the dash apart, but if anyone has any suggestions, ideas, or may know what is going on, any help is greatly appreciated. at least it'll give me a starting point.
The guy certainly knew about the speedo & the car surely has more miles than stated. Electrical gremlins are a pain, I'd have an expert check it out.