Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 01-13-2011, 05:02 AM   #1
esfkotaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS M6, Black with CGM
Functional locking hood pins

Hey guys, I did a few google searches and a few forum searches, and I came up with are "hood pin-appearance" topics\sales or the hotchkis quick release kit. So I apologize if I'm overlooking anything.

Never used any kind of hood pins myself, so please bear with me with the "stupid questions".

Planning on getting a CF hood, heat extractor style but generally similar enough to the stock hood at what would seem to be the points for the hood pin contacts\assemblies, so I suppose any functional hood pin kit that is compatible with a stock camaro hood would be useable with the hood I have in mind. Since I'm already trying to shave a few lbs with the CF hood\decklid I'm getting, might as well save a few more with the mounting hardware too right?

But aside from the hotchkis quick release pins, I haven't found any hood pins labled 2010+camaro-ready, and I would much prefer a locking kit (I live in a "good" area, but every area has it's a-holes and theiving thug wannabes).

Can anyone point me to a desirable set, and give me an idea of what I'd be getting into? Or am I better off just using the stock latching\mounting mechanisms? The hood I plan to order is fully compatible with the stock system.

Last question: Would it be best, if I were to go the pin route, to get a CF hood that's formed for a pin setup? I don't have very much CF experience, and don't know if CF would approve of being drilled into to make holes for the pins. If not, then that's a deal breaker really.

Disclaimer: Yes, I know it's "only" a V6. No, it's not simply for show, I plan to paint all the CF to match, so no one but me will know it's CF and not just fiberglass or steel. No, I don't race my car, it's just my daily driver (Most days, bad weather days I beat on the '08 Cobalt SS). Yes, I realize the couple of pounds I'll save with this mod would save nearly as much weight as shaving the extra weight from the driver, or make any "real", "noticeable" difference. But I love my V6, and I figure while I have it, I might as well enjoy it as much as I can. I was going to get a new hood, and saw no reason not to spend that "little more" to get CF instead of fiberglass. And those aren't the only weight savings I plan on digging into.

Coming soon (end of summer, hopefully):
JBA Shorties :: Hurst or MTI Shifter (undecided)
New 20" Wheels (undecided) :: Fogs :: GFX :: CF Heat Extractor hood :: Painted-On CGM Stripes :: G-2 Painted Calipers :: Painted Bowties
esfkotaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:22 AM   #2
mickss

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS-M6 67 Chevelle Wgn
You probably should use this type of locking hood pin lock. Avoid the pin and hoop clips.
http://www.deftracing.com/aerocatch_hood_pins/index.htm

Last edited by mickss; 04-18-2011 at 07:55 AM.
mickss is offline   Reply With Quote