Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: What is your opinion of the Mustang?
Hate it. Plain and simple. 11 7.19%
Improvement... but not my cup of Tea 27 17.65%
Love it, its my next car. 25 16.34%
Its cool, but its not a Camaro. 90 58.82%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 03:04 PM   #85
454lsxss

Drives: 07 Scion tC. for now...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline View Post
I am new to this forum but have been lurking for a while. Hello All!

I frequent all of the major Mustang Forums and I'd have to say we are impressed! I personally am so impressed that I am going to order one! I currently own a 2007 GT500 and a 2007 Mustang GT, and have been a die hard Mustang guy for years, but this new Camaro has really got my attention.

Who said the GT500 looks bad? lol

I love mine, but I do think that the new Camaro will really put a hurtin on the Mustang GT sales.

Here are my current toys

its not so much that the gt500 looks bad...its more that it's fugly...and has awful suspension, so much that they chose a srt8 challenger over the gt500 in a few different magazines, they said the hemi had a much more reliable torque band and stomped the stang in handling. If the challenger, which is 400+ pounds heavier than a camaro can beat the gt500 then so can a new ss. in my opinion of course. I just have trouble believing ford is selling vehicles that are out performed by cars that are 20 grand cheaper. Or maybe that's their game plan?? Either way, im getting a camaro that's all that matters. (not tryin to hate on rustangs...i just don't like em.)
Old 07-19-2008, 03:44 PM   #86
Redline

Drives: 2007 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 454lsxss View Post
its not so much that the gt500 looks bad...its more that it's fugly...and has awful suspension, so much that they chose a srt8 challenger over the gt500 in a few different magazines, they said the hemi had a much more reliable torque band and stomped the stang in handling. If the challenger, which is 400+ pounds heavier than a camaro can beat the gt500 then so can a new ss. in my opinion of course. I just have trouble believing ford is selling vehicles that are out performed by cars that are 20 grand cheaper. Or maybe that's their game plan?? Either way, im getting a camaro that's all that matters. (not tryin to hate on rustangs...i just don't like em.)
Fugly?......Uhhhhh Fair enough..everyone is entitled to their opinion...and you know what they say about opinions.

You do sound like you are trying to hate on "rustangs." Not liking them is one thing...but I think you are a little beyond that.

Can't we all just get a long?
Old 07-19-2008, 03:47 PM   #87
Tomash

Drives: (black 2SS Camaro), Suzuki SX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I don't like hearing the stock for stock argument.

Who races with stock anyway? Probably only some dumba**es who didn't play enough Need For Speed (or played too much) the evening before and suddenly start to think that the city is one huge racing track.

If someone wants to race with a Mustang, he probably starts with Shelby anyway

@Redline: We can, just let some of us be jelaous that You (Mustang fans) got your toy three years earlier. We'll get back to normal after february'09 I hope
Old 07-19-2008, 04:08 PM   #88
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
Now that the Camaro and the Challenger are almost out (2009/2010) that leaves Ford.......what are they doing for there 2010 model ???? I have not hear any updates i the past 2 months, Like I said before this is ford here, they been here longer than GM and know when its time to kick ass, The 2010 Ford mustang GT is gonna be a sleeper, I bet 9/10 that the the GT is gonna be way north of 300 HP maybe north of 350 HP,....... kind of nervous

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Old 07-19-2008, 04:15 PM   #89
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline View Post
Fugly?......Uhhhhh Fair enough..everyone is entitled to their opinion...and you know what they say about opinions.

You do sound like you are trying to hate on "rustangs." Not liking them is one thing...but I think you are a little beyond that.

Can't we all just get a long?
I own a Mustang GT 1998 and have loved driving it for the past 10 years. A very reliable car and even though it is not that fast compared to todays Mustangs, it does have a good amount of torque and never lets me down.. I will be happy to replace it with a GT500 killer that is $20,000 less I was going to purchase a used GT500 but after driving it and comparing it to the SRT8 Challenger, I like the Challengers suspension work a whole lot better in the turns.. The Camaro is supposed to be better than the Challenger because it is lighter and will have better balance.. In either case, I will not be getting rid of my Mustang as it will still be a reliable second car..
Old 07-19-2008, 04:25 PM   #90
GameOv3r

Drives: 2008 Chevy Aveo
The Challenger is out already. One drove by me today in the opposite lane today. It was Orange with the gun-metal stripes. It's definitely a cooler looking car than the new Charger. Seeing the new Challenger for the first time in person (even only for a slight second lol) it was cool. I can't wait to see the new camaros on the roads along with mine

A Challenger is just that, a "Challenger." It takes a Camaro to be a "Champion."
Old 07-19-2008, 08:44 PM   #91
joes3rdcamaro82/91/2010
Z28 Hold Out!

Drives: 2000 Monte Carlo SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameOv3r View Post
The Challenger is out already. One drove by me today in the opposite lane today. It was Orange with the gun-metal stripes. It's definitely a cooler looking car than the new Charger. Seeing the new Challenger for the first time in person (even only for a slight second lol) it was cool. I can't wait to see the new camaros on the roads along with mine
I saw my first one last weekend at a car show(Challenger). And I must confess the exterior for me scored a perfect 10. That got me thinking, that the I am going to need a new scale for the Camaro!
Old 07-19-2008, 08:57 PM   #92
Congoman775

Drives: Muscle
I actualy Test drove one about a week ago.

sharp car with alot of power, just too big, and too plain on the inside.

honestly if you would have blindfolded me and sat me in it.. i wouldnt have been able to tell you what dodge car i was in.

kinda sad.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:01 PM   #93
Congoman775

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
Now that the Camaro and the Challenger are almost out (2009/2010) that leaves Ford.......what are they doing for there 2010 model ???? I have not hear any updates i the past 2 months, Like I said before this is ford here, they been here longer than GM and know when its time to kick ass, The 2010 Ford mustang GT is gonna be a sleeper, I bet 9/10 that the the GT is gonna be way north of 300 HP maybe north of 350 HP,....... kind of nervous
If i were you id sleep easy. the only weapon is Ford's Arsenal that scared me was the "Boss" Mustangs. and they have cancelled that program.

it wouldnt suprise me to see them bring out a "special edition" (Nooo!!! not ford bringing out special edition mustangs!! thats so unlike them!!!) Boss mustang with north of 380 hp but for now, the mustang GT is the tortise in this comparison.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:52 PM   #94
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I found THIS yesterday....
Check out the last paragraph. This author tried his darndest to badmouth the Camaro through most of the article....but then turns around and says this right at the end:
Quote:
Overall, we have to say that GM has done a much better job on the new 2010 Camaro than Dodge with the new Challenger. Not only is it more svelte, but is far lighter and has a more athletic chassis. As for how it will compare to Mustang, we must admit that it trumps the Ford in raw power with both the current V6 and V8 engines. Even what we have heard the 2010 Mustang will have is still less. It trumps the Mustang in chassis dynamics by virtue of its independent rear suspension. Time to stop making excuses Ford!
So...not that this is the end-all article...I can't say that I'm too worried.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:02 AM   #95
joes3rdcamaro82/91/2010
Z28 Hold Out!

Drives: 2000 Monte Carlo SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Check out the last paragraph. This author tried his darndest to badmouth the Camaro through most of the article....but then turns around and says this right at the end:
That deserves a thread by it self. That was some funny stuff. Now I know that Mustang fans are pissing in their panties. That being said I still love the Mustang, maybe just not its followers.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:47 AM   #96
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Very nice It is true, the V6 will only be a hair less powerful than the Mustang V8 and have better suspension with less torque being its only downside.. The V8 SS will be a monster Mustang GT killer and give a good race against a GT500 around a track even if it loses in a straight line drag race.. Overall I am excited about this Camaro and hopefully I am able to drive one of the first to come off the assembly line..with the warranty ofcourse
Old 07-20-2008, 11:46 AM   #97
Congoman775

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
Very nice It is true, the V6 will only be a hair less powerful than the Mustang V8 and have better suspension with less torque being its only downside.. The V8 SS will be a monster Mustang GT killer and give a good race against a GT500 around a track even if it loses in a straight line drag race.. Overall I am excited about this Camaro and hopefully I am able to drive one of the first to come off the assembly line..with the warranty ofcourse
A hair less powerfull???

that V6 will make 305 making it MORE POWERFULL!!!

that engine is underrated, meaning they say it makes less than it does.

aka. you get more with your Camaro V6 than any Mustang Fan has gotten with a GT in the last 4 YEARS!!!!
Old 07-20-2008, 11:56 AM   #98
Bumble Bee '77
AutoBot Scout

Drives: 2002 ZRS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post

I don't like hearing the stock for stock argument. A lot of drivers like to have the underdog car and modify it to match something unexpected. While Ford Mustang drivers aren't unexpected, they will try to compete with the Camaro using the resources they have available. A lot of us on this site appear to favor GMPP for performance parts. That may give some Mustang drivers a chance to catch up at the track, since many of them will be out of warranty and seeking high-performance enhancements, including forced induction. It might not be a level playing field for those of us who don't want to risk blowing our new motors, but it is fair play on the track, and the proper changes to a 2005 Mustang GT will give it the horses necessary to match a Camaro.

Don't be cocky unless you know you can back it up. This new Camaro is incredible out of the factory. Dollar for dollar, it will beat a Mustang GT as they are today, but don't expect the Mustang that sees you at the track to be stock. If you want to win, you've got to take what Rock36 said into consideration.
Actually the stock for stock argument is really the only one you can make. If you start talking mods and stuff then the sky is the limit. This thread is "Camaro vs. Mustang, not Modified Camaro vs. Modified Mustang.. That's all I am saying. Plus its all up for personal Interpretation, and preference. Having test driven Mustangs and Camaros I personally think Camaros handle and perform better.

Closed Thread