Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 01:50 PM   #15
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
I like Brangetas post. Nothing wrong w/ a commercial saying "I'm back" as the 5th Gen pulls up and they lead into vehicle details.

If GM does do those tire smoking commercials, there's a time slot and channel for that on television.

If we are trying to hit the import crowd, put it in a movie like the fast and the furious w/ the aftermarket GMMG ground effects kit and spoiler. I personally love the look of the aftermarket ground effects on the Camaro. Loved it. That might appeal to some of the import crowds too.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:58 PM   #16
wild_weasel
Ombudsman

Drives: Black 03 Jeep Liberty Renegade
Hey, CatiaJockey! Cool to see a fellow AE.

Anyway...to the topic at hand.

I think advertising is all about creating a feeling. You don't need a single word in the ad to make it hit home, but you have to create a feeling. A feeling of want. How that happens depends on the people you want to buy it.

I'm no marketing guru by any means, and I'm probably just going to spout off what I want to see myself because you can't sit there and not flaunt what it has...performace. And I say use that to tell people how much better you are than ALL the competition. I'd like to see a commercial where the Camaro is trouncing every competition it has.

First, there is in aerial shot of the turbo 4 Camaro drifting a big circle around a bunch of ricers backed into a little group (Lancers, 350Zs etc.).

I want to see a shot of a Challenger, GT500, and SRT8 Charger lined up at 3 places at a 4-way stop, then the snarling nose of the SS Camaro rolls up to the stop sign, waits a moment, and the other 3 cars slowly roll away in reverse as the Camaro rumbles through.

I want to see some jerk in a G35 spill expensive coffee on himself because he was scared ****less as a Z28 Camaro roared past him on a winding backroad at some disgusting speed spewing its badass exhaust tone into his pretentious little Infiniti cabin.

And I want to see the Camaro pull up under the gas station at night, looking sweet and shiny under the lights, get a shot of the sweet interior and slowly zoom in on the gas gauge...barely at a quarter of a tank. Cue the zoom-in on Camaro badging...fade to black. I think people will want to know why its still so full of gas after a busy day of chewing up rice and Ford/Mopar parts, so they will go to the dealers and see why that sexy beast of a car is still practical for them.

So there. Got the turbo-4 for the ricers (maybe put the factory gfx package on it so people know which it is), got the SS for the intimidation factor, and the Z28 for the people who want to out handle some G35s and the like. Maybe the V6 will be at the end at the gas station with an RS package or something, I don't know.

And Im also sticking with my original idea of the "spend more on tires than gas" commercial too. I outlined that one in the original focus group thread.

Yeah, maybe unoriginal, but they have ad guys for this, and they don't need my help to sell this thing. It sells itself, especially to me.

Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.

I want my 2010 Z28, and I want it now. Black Graphite Metallic please.

(Thanks to Mindz and Jinx for the avatar/sig pic respectively)

Old 04-26-2008, 02:40 PM   #17
smokn'

Drives: Banana boat
diet of rice ever get old? how bout' a good ol' piece of all american steak, nice thick n' juicy, that's still low on calories! i like what pontiac did w/ the whole "faster than a porsche boxter, more hp than a bmw..." etc, that was one of the best pontiac commercials i ever saw. also, the g8 had good marketing "remember what it was like when u first drove a car..." or something along those lines. quite frankly, w/ the # of pontiacs i see on the road, i have 2 say they got if figured out pretty good, follow their lead and throw some born in the usa jazz in there!
Old 04-26-2008, 10:35 PM   #18
Adam_Z28

Drives: 1980 Z28
Ok im a simple man here 43 years old. I can still remember looking at the neighbor kids dads 67 SS i think with a 396 convertible.
Now watching TV if i was to see a 45 year old looking at a new Z28 and then fade to a 16 year old looking at a gen1. Not a man alive wouldn't remember how they felt when they seen one themselves. I also think thats the group thats going to drop 30-40k for a shot at their youth. By the way the plates for my 1980 Z28 i just got LSTYUTH

Now when you use this method and sell lots of cars and save a ton on advertising I would like the SS in a Screaming yellow with black stripes

Thanks hehe

Last edited by Adam_Z28; 04-26-2008 at 10:38 PM. Reason: added more
Old 04-26-2008, 11:35 PM   #19
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
A few ideas I can spout off right now (need more time to think but here goes)

You guys need to make sure that the car has the latest in technology and don't drive the price up over it because this stuff really is not expensive.

There should be bluetooth connectivity.
There should be MP3 Player Compatibility.
There should be MP3 CD Playing Capability.
There should be a nice Color LCD with cool graphics.
If OnStar is forced onto every buyer then at least use the system's built-in GPS to give standard Navigation on the screen mentioned above.

The interior has really got to stand out in this car and the fit and finish really done well (no organge peel, squeaks and rattles, etc.)

Make sure that on all models you tidy up the engine bay with nice covers for everything and make it look high-tech and clean and enclosed.

Any place you can get away with using something groundbreaking technology-wise, please be sure you do so. For example, LED lighting is all the rage. Use LEDs instead of antiquated incandescents.

The market for these cars is truly obsessed with technology and if you don't embrace the tech, someone else will and beat you to the punch.

A big market nobody touched on is the FEMALE buyer. There's GOT to be a way to make this car appeal to women in a 2008 way and not a 1978 way like painting it pink. Women think the car looks awesome, so the styling alone should draw them in. Maybe just show how the styling compares to "cookie cutter imports". I like the way Cadillac used that women in their ads too. The "Does it return the favor?" ad. Nice. You need that sort of thing.

Another important point is to make sure that the car is perfect before launching it. We want this car to win every award and every accolade possible. People really do listen to that stuff. Look what doing it right has done for the Malibu?

Also, targeted marketing through internet ads would be a good idea for the audience you are going after.

Okay, I'm tapped out for now. Hopefully I planted some seeds you guys can run with.

Have fun!
Old 04-26-2008, 11:47 PM   #20
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I'm counting on fuel economy and saftey features in all models being part of those "best-in-class" statements. So think above all else in the V6 model, Highlight those. Parents will want safe cars for their kids, Adults will want safe cars to drive, and ALL will want efficient cars to drive. If either of those two are missing, or perceived as missing; it will be an instant turn-off to anybody who's just glancing at it. So show that off!

"Camaro; best in class.......everything!"

Also, if used in ads, or commercials. Spend a great deal of time taking VERY attractive pictures of this car. We all know that photos don't do it justice...but some pictures of the car aren't very nice-looking at all(certain angles make it look porky, and short). If you get a shot that draws the eye, you've got a hit: they'll read into it thinking, "What is that?". Then they'll read all the good stuff, and class-leading whatnots. And I'd bet that if the reader is in the market, you'll have a instant showroom guest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z284ever View Post
If the turbo Ecotec makes it into the Camaro, I believe it could have incredible potential, if marketed well, to introduce Camaro to a whole new segment. Personally, I think GM should go for that, in addition to a slightly more upscale V6.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:15 AM   #21
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
First and foremost, PRICE PRICE PRICE. It needs to be VERY close to the mustang V6. Period, and by very close i mean within $100.00-200.00.

Commercial...
Should start off with the camaro just sitting there.. list of price features ect.. just like a normal car commercial, then have it drive away and behind it is the amount of fuel in barrels that you will save over a mustang MPG. Dramatic effect, use volume to say, you will save gas!

Could always do what they are doing with the silverado commercials, have the camaro pick up the challenger and mustang drivers after they run out of gas...
Old 04-27-2008, 01:17 AM   #22
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Could always do what they are doing with the silverado commercials, have the camaro pick up the challenger and mustang drivers after they run out of gas...
Old 04-27-2008, 03:32 AM   #23
SKiZZ

Drives: 1998 S-10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
I like Brangetas post. Nothing wrong w/ a commercial saying "I'm back" as the 5th Gen pulls up and they lead into vehicle details.
Keep in mind Ford already is working on an aggressive marketing campaign to go around the saying 'We Never Left'
Old 04-27-2008, 08:27 AM   #24
CatiaJockey

Drives: 2010 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKiZZ View Post
Keep in mind Ford already is working on an aggressive marketing campaign to go around the saying 'We Never Left'
And GM should have an ad waiting in the wings that says "You will"
Old 04-27-2008, 09:25 AM   #25
aldaron327
Onward and Upward.

Drives: '13 Equinox LTZ AWD,'09 Silverado
Send a message via MSN to aldaron327 Send a message via Yahoo to aldaron327
This is gonna sound kind of retarded, but will the new Camaro have the child safety seat retainer system in the back seat? If so, you just made an in-road to a young couple having a Camaro and being able to lock their pride and joy in the back of their other pride and joy. Dad (or Mom) can get a new Camaro V6 and the kiddos can ride too and be safe. Then Mom and Dad have yet another reason to justify getting one of these. If you read the threads of even enthusiasts like us, you'll see bunches of us are still in college (or even high school) and won't be snagging up a V8 due to insurance costs, gas costs, car costs, lack of income, etc. I was there back in the 90s with my Camaros and lack of purchasing power (at first). I got a 96 V6 Camaro because it's all I could afford on my own as a 20 year old who worked his way through college. 3 years later, I got my Z28 but I had also graduated and had a job (or two) and could afford the payments, insurance, etc. That being said, you can crack this nut in a number of ways. If you want more general marketing ideas, I'd say speak to the buyers who are going to go for what they can afford but still want the look, but you guys know that already.

Still, for a first "We're back" commercial, I wouldn't even say "we're back." I'd do something kinda minimalist but powerful like start out with a black screen and some dark (classical) music and have the headlights flash with the sound of an engine (preferrably V8) revving. Have them flash more and more quickly and intensely as the screen lightens up to reveal... TA DA! The face of the Camaro as it drives by the camera. Then of course, change the brooding music to like "Hallelujah!!" and throw in a side view and a view of the tail lights as it drives off. Then, just say something to the effect of, "The New Chevy Camaro. In Dealerships now."

Build the intrigue from the get-go and people will come in droves to check it out.

Just my $.02... but then again, I'll be pestering the local dealers from the moment my boots get back on the good 'ol home soil anyway.
MODS: CAI by CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-Back, DBA 5000 Slotted/Cross-drilled rotors (Front), Hawk HPS Pads, Russell Braided Brake Lines, DBA 4000 Slotted/Cross-drilled rotors (Rear), Barton Short-Throw Shifter, UM Comp Extractor Hood & Gen I Spoiler, custom paint
Old 04-27-2008, 01:00 PM   #26
LadiesMan217

Drives: '10 IOM/IO 2SS/RS
I see a commercial with Bumblebee falling in love with a convertible. (Hey, guys are suckers for hot chicks that are topless )

This way, you could appeal to the Transformer/Camaro nuts...and say that it can also have a feminine side.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:10 PM   #27
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
lol I since a lot a very funny commercial, I say a add with camaro reving that bad ass engine

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Old 04-27-2008, 01:31 PM   #28
2KZ28_For_Now
SS Shotgun Ride?!??! :-)

Drives: 2000 Z28
How about this: Show a 20-something guy getting into a brand-new "generic" import, after shaking hands with the salesman. Show the guy driving the car away with a big grin on his face.

Cue outside side shot - guy drives at a quick pace, and rolls by a Chevy dealer.

Back to inside shot. Out of the corner of his eye, he sees a Camaro. He does a double-take and has a shocked look on his face.

Back outside - he locks the brakes, tires squeeling. Car sits there for a second. Backs up, and then drives into the Chevy lot. Show the guy getting out of the car, walking up to the Camaro, and talking to a salesman, handing him his keys.

Insert your tagline. I would play on something like - "we're back - with a rockin' version of the 'sensible' car" (not those exact words, but the general idea).

And, I also like the idea of a "we're back" rock-n-roll style commercial, with quick flashes of "beauty shots" -- with the v8 grumbling and revving, interspersed with shots of the classic 1st-gen that inspired it.

Closed Thread