Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-31-2012, 01:56 AM   #183
Drake Heminger

Drives: 2014 Stingray Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAN311 View Post
You better individually reply to 10 more posts before going to bed
will do!
Old 03-31-2012, 02:46 AM   #184
Pappa Joe

Drives: Charger/TL1000R/Cobalt/ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake Heminger View Post
SheS obviously being forced against her will!!! Took her wheels off and everything! This is sick!

I just saw a u tube video with Shaniqua and a GT500.

She was idling wildly and she had no car cover on and.......her trunk wide open!
OMG, another Junk in the trunk video!

Hmmm she seemed to be enjoying herself!
Pappa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:06 AM   #185
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
And that's my point about the name SUCKING.

Mustang has the BOSS and the SHELBY.

The ZL1 will become iconic like the Z28 did but the 1LE just sounds stupid.

GT500 vs ZL1 is a battle.

Boss vs 1LE is just stupid in the name.

Just my opinion. Sure, they might battle on the track but in the name alone the Boss wins before it even get's started, especially since it's mainly bench racing that sells cars.

Hmmmmmmm...............time for a 'lil Camaro history lesson..........
Old 03-31-2012, 10:20 AM   #186
fbodfather

I gotta run and catch a plane....but very quickly:

How many of you know when the first Z06 was offered? (no - stop going to google or reaching for the black book........off the top of your head, when did the Z06 originally hit the streets?)

When we brought it back for the C5 Corvette, Corvette Enthusiasts who had been around for a while IMMEDIATELY knew that the new Z06 (from a storied history) was going to be a force to be reckoned with....... Others hadn't a clue as to what Z06 meant other than "OK - it starts with a 'Z' -- so it must be some RPO code and it's spec'd to kill some other cars on the track...."

Most know what a Z06 is now...........

The "1LE" moniker had performance enthusiasts mystified back in the 80s - it wasn't really an "RPO" in the traditional sense in that you didn't 'opt' for the 1LE package--- rather, you had to 'trick' the system in order to get all the goodies........and goodies they were.

As to naming cars - the only thing I can think of that's more subjective is color choice. I don't care if we called this new car "The Second coming of Christ" (and I do not mean that in a sacrilegious manner in the least!) - there would be those complaining about that..........

When applying nameplates to a legendary brand such as Corvette or Camaro - it's much like a mine-field - you're gonna get people blowing you up......so you'd better have done due diligence prior to putting the moniker on an offering.

The 1LE is a storied brand - and it is a well-thought-out nameplate for a Camaro SS that's about to shock a lot of people when they get it on a road course............

Lecture over.

(....for now)
Old 03-31-2012, 10:25 AM   #187
hightower
LS3 Black Widow

Drives: 2012 45th 2SS LS3 and 1968 Mustang
Strangely enough, it looks like a camaro as well!
Old 03-31-2012, 11:03 AM   #188
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
If I remember correctly the Z06 showed up in the late sixties. The only thing I remember about it was that it had a 30 gallon gas tank. I also think 1LE is a great nod to the past but will quickly make its name known, much like the ZL1.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:54 AM   #189
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
I gotta run and catch a plane....but very quickly:

How many of you know when the first Z06 was offered? (no - stop going to google or reaching for the black book........off the top of your head, when did the Z06 originally hit the streets?)

When we brought it back for the C5 Corvette, Corvette Enthusiasts who had been around for a while IMMEDIATELY knew that the new Z06 (from a storied history) was going to be a force to be reckoned with....... Others hadn't a clue as to what Z06 meant other than "OK - it starts with a 'Z' -- so it must be some RPO code and it's spec'd to kill some other cars on the track...."

Most know what a Z06 is now...........

The "1LE" moniker had performance enthusiasts mystified back in the 80s - it wasn't really an "RPO" in the traditional sense in that you didn't 'opt' for the 1LE package--- rather, you had to 'trick' the system in order to get all the goodies........and goodies they were.

As to naming cars - the only thing I can think of that's more subjective is color choice. I don't care if we called this new car "The Second coming of Christ" (and I do not mean that in a sacrilegious manner in the least!) - there would be those complaining about that..........

When applying nameplates to a legendary brand such as Corvette or Camaro - it's much like a mine-field - you're gonna get people blowing you up......so you'd better have done due diligence prior to putting the moniker on an offering.

The 1LE is a storied brand - and it is a well-thought-out nameplate for a Camaro SS that's about to shock a lot of people when they get it on a road course............

Lecture over.

(....for now)
I understand completely... but I might argue that people still don't know about Zora Arkus-Duntov's RPO Z06 for 1963, they just know Z06 because of how awesome they were for the C5, and even more so with the C6.

I for one like maintaining consistency through the generations. Cars need to move forward of course, but I also like being able to trace the history backwards as well.

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:00 PM   #190
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I love the look of the 1LE. And yes it steals some of its looks from the ZL1.

I put an SLP Slitter and ZL1 side skirts on my car because I really like the look.
But I don't want my car to look too much like the ZL1. For that reason, I would not put the ZL1 front end on my car. And I also like the way the front end looks on the Camaro SS.

Here's a pic of my car with the SLP Splitter and ZL1 side skirts.

SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:05 PM   #191
tooslow
Banned

Drives: 4 Wheels, Gasoline Engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowGTO View Post
Honestly I think all the Camaros look alike from the v6 to the Lz1
Quote:
Originally Posted by newagemuscle View Post
Considering they all start with the base Camaro, it's hard to avoid that. Most people that are not car people will never blink an eye at the difference between a v6 and a SS/1LE/ZL1.
True statements. But, think the same is true for the Mustangs, too. The Boss is easy to pick out, but the rest of them, especially now that they all get the GT500 front end treatment in 2013 are going to be harder to tell apart.
tooslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:44 PM   #192
fbodfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock36 View Post
I understand completely... but I might argue that people still don't know about Zora Arkus-Duntov's RPO Z06 for 1963, they just know Z06 because of how awesome they were for the C5, and even more so with the C6.

I for one like maintaining consistency through the generations. Cars need to move forward of course, but I also like being able to trace the history backwards as well.

And that's my point......some may not know what a 1LE is - but they're about to get the suprise of their life!

Those who know the 1LE name for the most part have a reverent respect for the name.........those who do not are, for the most part - about to!
Old 03-31-2012, 12:52 PM   #193
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
And that's my point......some may not know what a 1LE is - but they're about to get the suprise of their life!

Those who know the 1LE name for the most part have a reverent respect for the name.........those who do not are, for the most part - about to!
Fair enough.

But I like 'The second coming of Christ' better. Why couldn't they name it that?

I guess my point was to sell cars. Not to make enthusiasts happy. (I'm Camaros bitch. I'll be here anyway, lol) I just figured a more catchy name would grab more attention from non-enthusiasts.

But if GM is going to let the car do it's own talking then that's perfectly reasonable. A lot of people are going to see it and think it's 'The Shelby Killer' thnking it's the ZL1. I guess that's not a bad thing though.

Oh, and .............

*waves hand for jedi mind trick*

.... "you will not remember this conversation when you see PQ next" ...
Old 03-31-2012, 12:57 PM   #194
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Oh, and .............

I Lol'd.....
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:18 PM   #195
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
You know, the SAME WTF!! headscratching went on last Feb. when the ZL1 Model was "surprisingly" announced instead of Z28..."What's a ZL1"?!

Today, no one complains about that ZL1 moniker...even though, to be "historically correct", it should have housed an all-aluminum 427 naturally aspirated LS7, in some "history professors' " minds...

Re: SHELBY...wasn't there a pickup truck with a crappy convertible top (!?!) by that name? And some FWD econoboxes (I could have used the SHI_-word in front of "boxes"...) with the Shelby name...

Names, and cache', are ALWAYS in the mind of the beholder...and "frame of reference" is NOT "constant"...
Attached Images

LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:15 AM   #196
fbodfather

Quote:
Fair enough.

But I like 'The second coming of Christ' better. Why couldn't they name it that?

I guess my point was to sell cars. Not to make enthusiasts happy. (I'm Camaros bitch. I'll be here anyway, lol) I just figured a more catchy name would grab more attention from non-enthusiasts.

But if GM is going to let the car do it's own talking then that's perfectly reasonable. A lot of people are going to see it and think it's 'The Shelby Killer' thnking it's the ZL1. I guess that's not a bad thing though.

Oh, and .............

.......ya know.......I shoulda kept you stuffed in the trunk of "Ivan the IVER" at Valdosta a couple of years ago.......Bonnie even paid me big money to make you disappear..........................

X 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.