Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-09-2017, 10:42 AM   #1
cmiritello

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS/RS
Carbon Fiber hoods warp?

So I have been looking into getting new hood for my SS(preferably CF) but
everyone is telling me that it warps in hot temps? I live in NY so it doesn't get bad around here, but is this true? Some of my friends say yes and some say no! What are you're guys opinions?!
cmiritello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:49 AM   #2
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
No... not if you get a SEIBON at least. I've been wearing mine for about 3yrs now and I see no sign of warping, discoloration or anything of the sort. This is a well built hood with a clear coat (as opposed to a gel coat) that helps with the hot sun.

I'm in the IE in Cali, with sun pretty much year round. My car is parked 4 out of 7 days of the week beneath a carport. The car hood sees direct sunlight from sunrise to about 1pm when parked, and pretty much all day when I drive it. No issues.

Here's a vid I took a few weeks back. You'll see some smudges on the hood that I wiped off after I noticed them from this vid;

Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:49 AM   #3
Hixson

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS L99
I would think that proper CF hoods would be fine - all the expensive cars use CF panels without issue. Find a hood you really like and email the manufacturer to ask them
Hixson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:05 AM   #4
cmiritello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
No... not if you get a SEIBON at least. I've been wearing mine for about 3yrs now and I see no sign of warping, discoloration or anything of the sort. This is a well built hood with a clear coat (as opposed to a gel coat) that helps with the hot sun.

I'm in the IE in Cali, with sun pretty much year round. My car is parked 4 out of 7 days of the week beneath a carport. The car hood sees direct sunlight from sunrise to about 1pm when parked, and pretty much all day when I drive it. No issues.

Here's a vid I took a few weeks back. You'll see some smudges on the hood that I wiped off after I noticed them from this vid;

Yea that why when my friends said that I was surprised cause people everywhere use them, most likely with cheaper hoods they may have meant.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:06 AM   #5
cmiritello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hixson View Post
I would think that proper CF hoods would be fine - all the expensive cars use CF panels without issue. Find a hood you really like and email the manufacturer to ask them
Yea ill definitely look into doing that, any good recommendations?
Old 05-09-2017, 11:15 AM   #6
Hixson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmiritello View Post
Yea ill definitely look into doing that, any good recommendations?
Ive got no skin in the game since I haven't purchased a CF hood yet, but these guys have a good reputation and look to make a high quality product. Plus I love some of the hoods they have for our Camaros.

http://extremedimensions.com/
Old 05-09-2017, 11:16 AM   #7
Hixson

Also like Silver said - check out
http://seiboncarbon.com/
Old 05-09-2017, 12:19 PM   #8
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
All Fiberglas or carbon fiber parts will 'warp' It is 'post cure'. This is true of most any 'fiber' part that has not been baked in an autoclave like an aerospace or F1 part. Every time a 'fiber' part is heated to a temperature higher than it has been exposed to it will continue to cure.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:41 PM   #9
Anderson Composites

Drives: 2016 Z28
Seibon no longer offers Camaro carbon fiber hoods. Anderson Composites; Seibons sister company focused on the Domestic Market has absorbed Seibons domestic vehicle product offering as well as adding over 300 new parts specifically for Domestic Muscle Cars.

Anderson Composites Carbon Fiber hoods will not warp or change shape based on environmental conditions. We have never received a return or noted this happening. We do advise you use some type of heat shield on the underside of the hood. Many customers do not use a double sided tape or other style heat shield and do not have issues; however it is recommended.

Name:  GEN5Hoods.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  205.2 KB

Last edited by Anderson Composites; 05-09-2017 at 02:15 PM.
Anderson Composites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 01:10 PM   #10
JusticePete

Are Anderson Composite Hoods baked in an autoclave?
Old 05-09-2017, 01:15 PM   #11
Anderson Composites

Drives: 2016 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Are Anderson Composite Hoods baked in an autoclave?
We manufacture through a number of proprietary processes. Our vacuum infused products "Wet Carbon" is baked at a certain low temperature (proprietary) that although low is higher than temperatures seen through daily driving. Our "Dry" products are made on an autoclave at a higher (proprietary) temperature...
Anderson Composites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 02:13 PM   #12
cmiritello

Quote:
Also like Silver said - check out
http://seiboncarbon.com/
Thank you!
Old 05-09-2017, 03:08 PM   #13
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson Composites View Post
We manufacture through a number of proprietary processes. Our vacuum infused products "Wet Carbon" is baked at a certain low temperature (proprietary) that although low is higher than temperatures seen through daily driving. Our "Dry" products are made on an autoclave at a higher (proprietary) temperature...
Old 05-10-2017, 04:29 AM   #14
0331Marine

Drives: 2012 SS/RS MN6
Quote:
Ive got no skin in the game since I haven't purchased a CF hood yet, but these guys have a good reputation and look to make a high quality product. Plus I love some of the hoods they have for our Camaros.

http://extremedimensions.com/
Stay far far away from Duraflex crap. Do a quick serarch on here or heck, Google Duraflex and read for days.
0331Marine is offline   Reply With Quote