Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

View Poll Results: .
Camaro 0 0%
Mustang 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-2010, 10:48 PM   #4411
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Well....they should know. On top of being one of the premiere suspension companies, they've been working with this platform since the Commodore.

I can't help but think that number was peak, though. Most magazines report average...(no matter which they report though is about as useful as EPA mpg ratings....much bigger picture to take into account).
Yep, my whole point here was, while the new Mustang is putting out some good numbers which I greatly appreciate, I just wanted to remind a few here that the SS is no slouch even with the emergence of the new Mustang.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:51 PM   #4412
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
That's what I thought. It said maximum lateral acceleration was 1G+, so comparing it to an average rating of the new GTs (.97G) isn't really the fairest thing to do.
I tend to think that number is peak, too.....perhaps its the little pessimist on my shoulder, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
Yep, my whole point here was, while the new Mustang is putting out some good numbers which I greatly appreciate, I just wanted to remind a few here that the SS is no slouch even with the emergence of the new Mustang.
No it isn't!
I firmly believe it's a drivers race, especially after all these articles have come out. There has not been one FIRM 'winner' in the performance test. Subjectively, they all hump the pony (get that image out of your head. )...but line'em up and go green.....

Old 05-02-2010, 11:29 PM   #4413
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
I'm not sure if it has changed, but it used to be that most magazine skidpad tests were done by timing then calculating average lateral accel vs 9.81 m/s^2 (G), not through use of accelerometers. That's probably where the discrepancy lies. Accelerometers are tough to get to read accurately in the type of movement present on a skidpad, at least the accelerometers I have worked with would be. It requires the surface to be even despite body roll or the results will be skewed. Of course, there could be some kind of equipment that I'm not aware of. Still, the pedders results are impressive in comparison to stock vette numbers.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:01 AM   #4414
DeathChill

Drives: 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unfair View Post
So much for the live axle sucking...
I don't think anyone thinks the live axle sucks for the racing aspect. The overall ride quality suffers over unsmooth surfaces, but I can't honestly say how much without driving one. I do know it was mentioned in at least one review.

As for the numbers, I think everyone here knows the Mustang will put up good numbers (please don't count the random people who pop in to say "MUSTANG SUX!!!!"), but all year long it was being hailed as the SS destroyer in performance. It appears thus far that they're pretty damn close, unlike the last years performance comparison.
DeathChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:06 AM   #4415
Justcallme61

Drives: 2000 honda accord v6
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N View Post
you can pretend you don't see the "buck teeth" your fellow camaro owner was refering to when he was talking about the mustang, its all good

On a more serious note, the blue car edmunds ran was tested out at the same location 7 days prior in WARMER weather (DA of 3577 vs. 2884).

There are still too many variables that make even this head to head #'s comparison directly to each other difficult. It's not like they were run at the same exact time.
* The camaro was well broken (14,813 vs. 2,172)
* The camaro was ran in slightly different/better weather (DA of 2676 vs 2884, which equates to ~.05 and ~.5 mph)
* The camaro had summer tires vs. all-seasons
* The camaro was shown to have done the runs with wind at 1.4 vs. 6.3 (it never states direction)

It's odd that they chose to do a performance test with a non/lesser performance model. It's like comparing an L99 to the LS3 when one is clearly superior to the other, but even worse because the cost difference is flipped. In the end, only the track will paint the true picture of what the cars are like in comparison.
That's about as nitpicky as you can get.... Now we know how far you will go to defend the Mustang lol. Come on now. Seriously? That's just pathetic. Can't you just accept that Mustangs aren't handcrafted and passed down from Jesus himself to beat every car on the road in every way?
Justcallme61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:18 AM   #4416
ViperTomcat
Banned

Drives: 2011 Avenger Heat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justcallme61 View Post
That's about as nitpicky as you can get.... Now we know how far you will go to defend the Mustang lol. Come on now. Seriously? That's just pathetic. Can't you just accept that Mustangs aren't handcrafted and passed down from Jesus himself to beat every car on the road in every way?
Its a reaction to the Camaro crowd. Each side has its members who will isolate extremely minor things to explain why *blah* car should have won and it didnt.

Its all part of the game. The wonderful, entertaining game.
ViperTomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:44 AM   #4417
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justcallme61 View Post
i love how you take it so personal chill out dude, it's not that serious. take a deep breath and count to ten or something
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:51 AM   #4418
Justcallme61

Drives: 2000 honda accord v6
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N View Post
i love how you take it so personal chill out dude, it's not that serious. take a deep breath and count to ten or something
Says the Mustang fan on the Camaro forum trying so desperately to defend the Mustang...lol
Justcallme61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:52 AM   #4419
spoone123
Next is SS camaro.....

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS, Rally yellow
Just go buy both SS and 2011 mustang GT then ignore all thread about camaro vs mustang and be done with. LOL I love how people are bashing on about which car is better on youtube. Its so ridiculous BTW i don't think its fair to compare 2010 and 2011 cars. its hould be the same year.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:32 AM   #4420
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoone123 View Post
Just go buy both SS and 2011 mustang GT then ignore all thread about camaro vs mustang and be done with. LOL I love how people are bashing on about which car is better on youtube. Its so ridiculous BTW i don't think its fair to compare 2010 and 2011 cars. its hould be the same year.
Well, since performance wise the camaro will be identical in '11, I really don't think it matters.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:49 AM   #4421
GQ4Life

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
the pedders results r instantanious Gs not skidpad.. that y they so high..
2015 Corvette Z06.. Lime Rock Park 1:01; Watkins Glen 2:14; Thompson Speedway 1:21
GQ4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:57 AM   #4422
Sax1031

Drives: 2000 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakekiller View Post
Automobile Mag
2011 Mustang GT/ brembo
0-60: 4.6
0-100: 10.4
1/4 Mile: 12.9@112
30-70: 4.6
70-0: 164
Cornering L/R(g): 0.98/0.99
Definitely some good times.
Sax1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:04 AM   #4423
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQ4Life View Post
the pedders results r instantanious Gs not skidpad.. that y they so high..
Nobody said they were. The point was the OEM Camaro is one bad ass mother said so by a guy(JusticePete-Pedders) that is very well known throughout the muscle car
scene. Just one more thing he said for all the Mustang guys.

Enjoy!!!

"The 5th Gen is a well engineered automobile and in complete OE trim is a terrific performance car that does not NEED a chassis brace or any other aftermarket products to be a world class performance car. GM and Chevy have already proved that at the Ring. Period. End of story. Pedderised it runs Z06 times, in OE bone stock form beat a Porcshe, Lotus and BMW. The 5th Gen doesn't need anything being sold by ANY suspension company to be a great car -- it already is."
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:36 AM   #4424
DarrenJ

Drives: '67 Camaro ZZ4 & 2010 IOM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by attymf View Post
I was worried the Stang would blow the doors off the Camaro with the new 5.0 set up. Obviously thats not the case though.

Pure and simple its one of two things now. 1) Driver or 2) Mods.

Isn't this the way it should be.

And BTW, I don't care if chevy beats ford or vice versa. They both better beat those damn ricers...
Blower on the SS will resolve any unknown performance issues regarding any mustangs mass-produced by ford in 2011.
DarrenJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2011, 2011 mustang, 442trumpsall, 5.0, camaro, camaro lost!!!, camaro lost., carthatsucks, corvette, drag, fanboys anonymous, ford, ford mustang, glue factory, gluefactory, gt ss ssrs comparison ford, gtss, mustang, numbers, oldnag, race, tired nag, trolls, video