Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 10-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #15
Trentin24
Trentin24

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyvegas View Post
It was awesome................ = ADDICTED.
Any videos? How did you do?
Trentin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:44 PM   #16
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Welcome to the club!
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:08 AM   #17
scottyvegas
X SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRSM6 1988 Sportside
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentin24 View Post
Any videos? How did you do?
Went out first few laps with an instructor, showed me the lines, advise,etc.... Well worth it & glad I did.....

Did ok, ran 2nd fastest in my group ( 20+ cars ).
I guess it was more of a track day than autocross (?) 3.4 ,mile track
The car did awesome. Cant wait for the next one....

Heres a pic.....I will upload go pro footage asap!

Thanks to all for the advise. If you know of any groups that put on track days please let me know. SpeedVentures put this one on.
Attached Images

MODS: PEDDERS XA COIL OVERS, STAGE 3 CAM, McLEOD CLUTCH, SKIP SHIFT, , HURST SHORT THROW, CAI INTAKE, SCOOP, WASHER RELO KIT, KOOKS HEADERS, KOOKS HI FLOW CATS, CUSTOM TUNE, QTP CUT OUTS, PAINTED STRIPES, PAINTED SS EMBLEMS, PAINTED FIN, PAINTED REAR TAIL LAMP BEZELS, HERITAGE GRILLE, DUCTS, AAC STUFF, BAER ROTORS, HAWK PADS, FUZZY DICE, LASER BEAMS, DISCO BALL, SYBIAN & 3 CHROME VALVE STEM CAPS................

Last edited by scottyvegas; 10-08-2013 at 07:23 AM. Reason: .....................
scottyvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:00 AM   #18
Kelly@PCMofNC

Drives: 2010 RS/SS
Man...I miss this. I haven't ran auto-x in almost ten years now but reading this thread makes me remember how awesome it was!!
Kelly@PCMofNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #19
Synergy SATX
Mike and Debbie

Drives: 2014 Corvette Stingray 3LT Z51
Read Andy's tips. He comes out on occassion with us and offers some great advice when driving our big pigs around. As a national champion, I find he is somewhat qualified to listen to

Andy Hollis AutoX tips
Old 10-08-2013, 08:55 AM   #20
scottyvegas
X SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly@PCMofNC View Post
Man...I miss this. I haven't ran auto-x in almost ten years now but reading this thread makes me remember how awesome it was!!
It was AWESOME....
MODS: PEDDERS XA COIL OVERS, STAGE 3 CAM, McLEOD CLUTCH, SKIP SHIFT, , HURST SHORT THROW, CAI INTAKE, SCOOP, WASHER RELO KIT, KOOKS HEADERS, KOOKS HI FLOW CATS, CUSTOM TUNE, QTP CUT OUTS, PAINTED STRIPES, PAINTED SS EMBLEMS, PAINTED FIN, PAINTED REAR TAIL LAMP BEZELS, HERITAGE GRILLE, DUCTS, AAC STUFF, BAER ROTORS, HAWK PADS, FUZZY DICE, LASER BEAMS, DISCO BALL, SYBIAN & 3 CHROME VALVE STEM CAPS................
Old 10-08-2013, 08:56 AM   #21
scottyvegas
X SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy SATX View Post
Read Andy's tips. He comes out on occassion with us and offers some great advice when driving our big pigs around. As a national champion, I find he is somewhat qualified to listen to

Andy Hollis AutoX tips
Will do, Thanks!
Old 10-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #22
JusticePete

Quote:
Went out first few laps with an instructor, showed me the lines, advise,etc.... Well worth it & glad I did.....

Did ok, ran 2nd fastest in my group ( 20+ cars ).
I guess it was more of a track day than autocross (?) 3.4 ,mile track
The car did awesome. Cant wait for the next one....

Heres a pic.....I will upload go pro footage asap!

Thanks to all for the advise. If you know of any groups that put on track days please let me know. SpeedVentures put this one on.
You ran the road course at Spring Mountain?
Old 10-08-2013, 10:43 AM   #23
scottyvegas
X SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
You ran the road course at Spring Mountain?
Yes sir.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:59 AM   #24
JusticePete

Quote:
Yes sir.

How many miles are on your SS?
Old 10-08-2013, 11:24 AM   #25
scottyvegas
X SS

Quote:

How many miles are on your SS?

Pete, What Pedders equipment would you recommend for better track performance?

or, should I just buy a 1Le or Zl1... (-:

Last edited by scottyvegas; 10-08-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:03 PM   #26
JusticePete

Quote:

Pete, What Pedders equipment would you recommend for better track performance?

or, should I just buy a 1Le or Zl1... (-:
That is a fair question. You can build your own from your SS or the 1LE. My personal choice for road course and AC is NA. Aside from the normal SC vs NA debate, the 5th Gen is very sensitive to nose weight. it is absolutely a case of less is more.

Running AC you can skate with less preventative maintenance than on a road course. Here is a short list of the basics for RC.

1. Fresh brake fluid I am a SRF liquid gold guy, but Brembo and Motul have top quality fluid too.

2. Never hit a road course with less than 60% of the original brake pad material. You don't want to end your day early because your pads wore out. The more you RC the faster you'll get, the faster they will wear.

3. Start you track day with your TPs at 32 pounds. You'll want to run them hot at 38 to 42 pounds. Check them as soon as you leave the track with a high quality gauge.

4. Fresh fluids are light years cheaper than repairs. The harder you run the faster you should change them. Differential, tranny, steering and engine.

5. Nuts and bolts come loose when you track your car. Lay a wrench on every single one in the driveline and suspension before you head to the track. Don't forget the lug nuts. Don't laugh. It happens.

6. Alignment makes a huge difference in how a 5th Gen IRS car handles on track. Find a good shop and get an aggressive street or even track alignment. It is worth every penny.

7. Seat time makes you faster. The driver mod is always #1. That said, the better the car...

It is awesome, isn't it?
Old 10-08-2013, 01:51 PM   #27
scottyvegas
X SS

Quote:
That is a fair question. You can build your own from your SS or the 1LE. My personal choice for road course and AC is NA. Aside from the normal SC vs NA debate, the 5th Gen is very sensitive to nose weight. it is absolutely a case of less is more.

Running AC you can skate with less preventative maintenance than on a road course. Here is a short list of the basics for RC.

1. Fresh brake fluid I am a SRF liquid gold guy, but Brembo and Motul have top quality fluid too.

2. Never hit a road course with less than 60% of the original brake pad material. You don't want to end your day early because your pads wore out. The more you RC the faster you'll get, the faster they will wear.

3. Start you track day with your TPs at 32 pounds. You'll want to run them hot at 38 to 42 pounds. Check them as soon as you leave the track with a high quality gauge.

4. Fresh fluids are light years cheaper than repairs. The harder you run the faster you should change them. Differential, tranny, steering and engine.

5. Nuts and bolts come loose when you track your car. Lay a wrench on every single one in the driveline and suspension before you head to the track. Don't forget the lug nuts. Don't laugh. It happens.

6. Alignment makes a huge difference in how a 5th Gen IRS car handles on track. Find a good shop and get an aggressive street or even track alignment. It is worth every penny.

7. Seat time makes you faster. The driver mod is always #1. That said, the better the car...

It is awesome, isn't it?
Thank Pete!

AWESOME INDEED.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:33 PM   #28
woodside783
Casey Woodside

Drives: a very fun car
Stear the car with the rear tires it is a blast