Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 08-02-2017, 02:52 PM   #1
naikaidriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Nitto NT555 G2 1 Year Review

Just over a year ago, I got a set of Nitto NT555 G2s for The Beast and since that time I have driven the car about 6000miles, done 4 track days and 1 autocross session.

I thought that I would share my experiences with them since there doesn't seem to be any real, non-youtube, reputable comparisons or reviews of these tires.

I wanted a street tire that would perform well on the street with occasional track time since I usually do 3 track days per year with the car. One thing that I have noticed is that when you run a staggered, wheel setup, it dramatically reduces your tire size options especially when you want to keep the stock, ~28.5-ish diameter for the sake of speedo accuracy. I went with the Nitto NT555 G2 since on paper, it looked better than the P-Zeros but were less expensive than the usual, tried and true BFGSC2 or Michelins.

Although I have 9" wheels in front and 10s in the back, I stuck with the stock size of 245/45 20 in the front and 275/40 20 in the back since at the time, Nitto didn't offer the 305/35 20 for the back. Whole set installed and out the door at Discount Tire was just under $1000.

On the road, these tires are great in the dry and wet with zero issues. Pretty typical for a tire at this price range and today's technology. Road noise was dramatically less than my Hankook Ventus V12s that were on the car when I bought it.

On the track this is where things get more complicated.

These tires are NOISY! If you were to think about available traction from a scale of 0-100%, 0 being traveling at a straight line at 100% you are now in a slide, these tires begin to howl at 80%. From there the tires have much more available traction than the noise lets on. On the good side, the tires begin to let go in a very linear, predictable fashion but on the down side, they make you think that you are closer to the limit than you really are.

Also, if you really push these tires at 90% or higher lap after lap small chunks will tear off the inside of the tread blocks which I believe are a by-product of the tires squealing in protest to the punishment. What's interesting is that you "feel" that the car is just not holding the corner because that is what you are hearing, but looking at the telemetry data, I can carry just as much corner speed as someone else in another Camaro running much quieter Goodyear Eagle Supercar F1's.

Under hard braking and acceleration, the tires perform well and again, will let you know even a little early that you're pushing their limits with copious amounts of squeal or howl if you're really hammering it.

Overall I'm not sure if I will be getting another set now that these are down to about 30% tread life. There are just better, less annoying tires out there at that price point like the Michelins, Goodyears and BFGs but it's really hard to complain about the Nittos since they really did everything I asked of them.

One last note:

These tires seem to like 37psi (hot) the best which with my size was about 31psi cold. Any more than 38psi hot and they overheat in every corner and start to scream bloody murder at .7 lateral G's.

I'll post some pictures when I get home to show the tread damage more clearly.

Scott
Diablo T1000 with Phastek custom tune, K&N Intake, Hurst Short-Throw Shifter, Flowmaster, Outlaw II Exhaust, BMR 1" Lowering Springs, BMR 3-way Adjustable Anti-Roll Bars, BMR End Links and Reinforcement Brackets, BMR Trailing Arms, ZL1 wheels, Nitto NT555 G2 Tires, Z28-style Rear Spoiler, Hawk Plus Brake Pads, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid
naikaidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:18 PM   #2
Silent...

Drives: 2012 2LT RS White Born: 11/10/11
Thanks for the review. I just purchased a set of 285/30-20 with my new MRR M017 wheels. And they will be seeing the track soon. They were hard to beat for the price. GY Eagle Supercar G2's would have saved me $90 for all 4 but they are only fair in the rain and in Florida I'm wouldn't take that chance. The MPSS on closeout pricing would have been +$300. I really wanted the new Indy 500's but they are not available in the size above until late September. I'll see how my track day goes later next month and come back for some comparisons.
*Grey Hockey Stripes; Heritage Grill; GM GFX - Unpainted Argent Gray; GM Dovetail Spoiler; Rivercity Creations custom painted rear bowtie, RS & Taillight Bezels; MRR M017 Graphite Wheels; Nitto NT555 G2; ACS 4Teen Heat Extractor
*RX Catch Can;CAI; MF Exhaust; VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB; Overkill Stage 1 Supercharger System; Hotchkis Comp Sway Bar Set w/ End Links, Cadillac CTSV 4 Piston Brembos on all corners with SS Black Hat Rotors

Youtube Channel - HPDE Driving Videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpO...8aw6hgX3O1Uh7A
Silent... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:28 PM   #3
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Good review - thank you. I am considering the NT 555 G2 for my next tire, along with the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 - your review is helpful. I've driven a 1LE with NT 555 G2's pretty hard with a 275/315 setup and I was impressed with the overall traction. Sounds like they held up pretty good for you as well.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 02:44 PM   #4
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
I love my NT 555 G2s for my street set of tires. They perform extremely well in the wet. I would suspect that the chunks tearing off from track day use is from the heat/stress and the fact that the tread depth is quite large to begin with.
Vengeance Kaotik Cam, C.A.I., ARH LT, Pypes Cat Back, ZL1 Shifter+2012LS3VERT bushing, Quantum Brake Ducts, JDP Tow Hook Scorch Yellow Trim Kit, Shark Fin, AAC DRLs+ABLs+SMDs, ZTA Rear Spoiler, R.Y. 1LE Splitter. Pfadt coilovers, camber plates, trailing arms, Pegasus Solid Subframe. Pedders ZL1 barz, radius arm & steering rack bushings. BMR adjustable toe-rods. Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace. ZL1 GMPP Driveline Upgrade. TurnOne P/S pump. CTS-V 6 pistons.
447 HP @ 6180 RPM / 418 TQ @ 5100 RPM
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 03:42 PM   #5
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Fair review and I agree with your comments.

I'm running a set right now on track but I will be going back to the GY's once this set runs out.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:31 AM   #6
Spurshot

Drives: 2014 2SS blue
Thanks for the review.

Currently, TireRack has the Mich PSS in 255/40ZR20 and 285/35ZR20 for about $1050 before shipping & mounting. I think it'd end up $1250 ish.

I'm looking hard at the Mich P4s in 255/40ZR20 and 285/35ZR20 for about $1210 before shipping & mounting. Probably $1450 in the end.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:04 PM   #7
woyster_13ss

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS
I've currently got the Nitto NT555 G2's on my Camaro as well (~6,000 miles). I too find that they are loud and squeal when cornering. My old tires were the Continental ExtremeContact DW's that have been discontinued. I liked them much better than the Nittos and will probably go with the Continental ExtremeContact Sport when the time comes.
6.2L V8, NPP, Manual 6-Speed, GM Performance Shifter, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Bo White's Stage III Ported TB, Sunroof, Window Tint, Gen5DIY Halo & DRL Harnesses, 5000k LED DRL Bulbs, APEX Skip Shift Eliminator, Hood Spears / Front & Rear Blackout Panels / Gills from Big Worm Graphix, Gary's Customz Front & Rear Painted Bowties, Powdercoated Wheels & Camaro Badges, Painted Calipers, Plastidipped Taillight Bezels
woyster_13ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 06:10 AM   #8
Silent...

Drives: 2012 2LT RS White Born: 11/10/11
Anyone have any follow up track/HPDE reviews in these?
*Grey Hockey Stripes; Heritage Grill; GM GFX - Unpainted Argent Gray; GM Dovetail Spoiler; Rivercity Creations custom painted rear bowtie, RS & Taillight Bezels; MRR M017 Graphite Wheels; Nitto NT555 G2; ACS 4Teen Heat Extractor
*RX Catch Can;CAI; MF Exhaust; VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB; Overkill Stage 1 Supercharger System; Hotchkis Comp Sway Bar Set w/ End Links, Cadillac CTSV 4 Piston Brembos on all corners with SS Black Hat Rotors

Youtube Channel - HPDE Driving Videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpO...8aw6hgX3O1Uh7A
Silent... is offline   Reply With Quote